Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Single old babes, want to marry again?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:02 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread amazes me. Three pages and no posts about why cucumbers are better than men.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2007, 01:34 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I liked what Rosanne said about gay marriage:

"I would think that those who say they are disgusted with the thought of gay sex should be in favour of gay marriage. After all, why shouldn't gay couples get less sex like straight married couples"

or something to that effect....

I've been married (this time) for 10 years, but we've been living apart for nearly two years (with occasional 'conjugal' visits) for work reasons. This is scheduled to end by September 2007. I have to admit that I sometimes wonder if I haven't got awfully used to living alone again. I'm not sure how easy the readjustment will be.

I am glad to be married and love DW, but there is also a sweet side to being alone.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A few things that would make me reconsider marriage

1-Colaed Pension with survivor rights

2-Big Ira and no pesky heirs

3-Summer house on a lake

4-Condo in the Islands

5-Big Travel Budget
Old 01-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
A few things that would make me reconsider marriage

1-Colaed Pension with survivor rights

2-Big Ira and no pesky heirs

3-Summer house on a lake

4-Condo in the Islands

5-Big Travel Budget
I'm close except for Number 1 and traveling is mostly low budget.
Also, the house is on an island and the condo on a lake. And, my
IRA isn't much either. Heirs may be pesky - not sure. Guess it wouldn't work.

JG
Old 01-27-2007, 09:57 AM   #45

My intent is not gay bashing but I'm sure that's how it will be interpreted by some.

The origins of all of the spousal benefits have roots in our culture of the 1900 to 1950's when the plans were developed. The "little woman" stayed home and raised the kids and typically had a short, if any, period of "employment." This matched the social norms at the time and provided for the vast number of women who found themselves widows and no personal savings.

Fast forward to today, the "liberation" of women have encouraged women to work full time when married and their income fully spent to upgrade to a lifestyle far beyond what the "Ozzie and Harriet" generation could afford. A fulltime working wife develops her own SS and pension benefits and can (as he) benefit from the spousal survival.

What we've done is financially discouraged the educated women from producing more than a very low number of children because of the extra stress and expense incurred in raising children. From a policy standpoint, I would like to financially enourage the best potential mothers to have more children.

Finacially, it may benefit individual gays to receive full spousal benefits but it doesn't contribute to encouraging a better next generation. I would be more inclined to increase spousal benefits but to make them contingent on producing children. More children, better spousal benefits. No children, no spousal benefits.

People would be free to choose and not be financially damaged as badly as our present system.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been married for 13 years and if anything happened to my wife, I would not remarry. I don't think anyone would be as good a partner as my wife. Also, I have seen some ugly divorces and the odds are not good that two individuals are going to marry and have a happy marriage. As one of my friends said, "You know why divorces are so expensive?.........Because they're worth it."
Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
...When I am very old, I will probably check into a continual care facility so that I can get the help I might need to take care of myself properly. Maybe Frank and I will be there together, allowing one another sufficient space and time alone, of course.
I don't know what you consider 'very old' but don't assume you can move into a top quality not-for-profit ccc after you become frail. Once you are in your late 60s start visiting those that are attractive to you. You may learn that there is a multi-year waiting list for the units you desire. No harm in putting down a refundable deposit, most will let you pass until the one you really want is available. However, if in the interim your health becomes an issue you may not be eligible to move in.

Couples don't need to be married to share a unit but IMHO it is far wiser to have your own space. Warning here, nice single men are a highly sought commodity in a cc community.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Warning here, nice single men are a highly sought commodity in a cc community.
If Frank didn't want to be with me, then the absolutely last thing I'd want is to be with him, and vice versa.

I realize that there are many desperate older women "seeking", but desperation tends to be surprisingly unattractive to some people (including some women, such as me).

Marriage doesn't create emotional commitment where it did not exist already. The number of married men who are secretly "seeking" on dating websites or wherever, is appalling. Personally I do not find such men to be attractive, both because they are not being honest with themselves and with others, and because of the desperation factor I described above.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
My intent is not gay bashing but I'm sure that's how it will be interpreted by some....From a policy standpoint, I would like to financially enourage the best potential mothers to have more children....Finacially, it may benefit individual gays to receive full spousal benefits but it doesn't contribute to encouraging a better next generation.... I would be more inclined to increase spousal benefits but to make them contingent on producing children. More children, better spousal benefits. No children, no spousal benefits.
right. well, it certainly is not as much gay bashing as it is planet bashing. so instead of rewarding breeders--& i don't mean to be str8 bashing on that derogatory note but it does seem to play in harmony with your policy--for zero population growth, you'd rather we pay them to pop out even more future consumers of our natural resources. edit: i guess that's why they call it the bush energy plan (sorry, i couldn't resist).

your proposal is nothing but blatant child abuse. abusing some recently redefined concept of the child to justify your prejudice. since when has every child become baby jesus? children are future adults and nothing more. they are no more special than we are. why do you degrade adults by upgrading children. one does not have to be more special than the other, we should all be treated with respect. since when do i have to drive 15 mph past a grammer school but soccer moms can speed past my house 25 mph over the posted speed limit to get their kids to school on time. screw that & dig this: we are all special, not just kids. i had a mom too ya know.

how interesting that the financial strain of over-utilizing the planet's recources doesn't play on your piano but you have no problem singing praise to the attributes of being more financially fair to working mommies than to, oh, i don't know, say a partnered, handicapped gay man who has become unable--or, god forbid, too old--to work.

as to viewing all of today's policies not in light of today's consciousness but to go back to the gloom of some victorian era. fine, go ahead. you think it is so pleasant for us to live here? why stop with just treating us unfairly? i invite you to pick up the first rock and stone me. i won't be producing children anyway so it's not like my life is worth anything.

just look, for a moment, at the attitude your policy fosters. now ask yourself again which policy benefits the future.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
Would I marry again? Yes

Can I grow old alone and enjoy life? Yes

Why would I want to marry again? Multiple reasons including a partner in crime, companionship, intelligent conversation, someone to do stuff with including chores, travel, dining and having a snuggle buddy at night .
Well, after reading this, I guess there would be alot of things that I would miss out on if I were never to remarry. There are some weirdos out there, but the vast majority are not. I guess that I should never say never! It is probably a moot point anyway since my DH's family outlives mine!
Old 01-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #51

Lazy,

You left out the requisite reference to Hitler and/or Nazis.

My whole point is that we are currently creating an environment through our fiscal policy that encourages those with limited education to procreate like rabbits via welfare but penalize those with educations. Which group do you think would "raise" a better next generation.

If your goal for zero population growth, feel free to advocate forced sterization of any male or female that accepts welfare for more than a minimum period of time. I don't think that's necessary.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #52

hey, 2B and LazyGFNB! You hijacked my thread and started a political/social argument. I really don't appreciate it. Please start another thread.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
hey, 2B and LazyGFNB! You hijacked my thread and started a political/social argument. I really don't appreciate it. Please start another thread.
I have two replies but I'll stick with "why do you think your posts are different?" Other Topics are just that.

With that out of the way, I'll comment on your original intended thread and say that marriage for the young is a more passionate affair than for those of us that have had a few miles put on their odometer. The hot blood of youth and the prospect of their new life drives a lot of crazy mating decisions. Some of them actually work out as can be attested to by some of the other posters.

As for getting remarried, there are considerations of our "childrens' inheritance" and the established life patterns that will be disrupted by another round of nuptials. Also, I must admit that my physical attributes have not been fully maintained as I've aged and perhaps others will agree they have also "matured." I've seen enough "older" people that have been without spouses and have expressed no interest in getting remarried suddenly show up with a new squeeze to know that when "it hits" it hits.

Say what you want, trash men (or women if you are so oriented). If you find the right situation, you will do as many of my younger, confirmed bachelor friends have done and get married (or form that longterm relationship).

I personally agree with you and I will say now that I would not remarry if DW passed away. It's easy for me to say that now but I don't know what life holds in store with me. Ultimately, our hearts will win out.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #54

oldbabe. i didn't think i was hijacking anything; i thought i was simply commenting on a prior post within a thread. often these threads run through a quilt of thoughts in the free exchange of ideas. had i known you were sensitive to your thread running outside the eye of its needle, i never would have commented on another's post which did not relate directly to your personal op. i meant no disrespect to you, i will work to never again color outside the lines within your picture book and i apologize for any offense i caused herein.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

For better or worse, thread hijacking is pretty much a way of life around here. Some of the most interesting discussions come from hijackings. Starting your own thread is certainly more respectful of the OP, but we're lazy and like odd context, so it doesn't happen too often.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
oldbabe. i didn't think i was hijacking anything; i thought i was simply commenting on a prior post within a thread. often these threads run through a quilt of thoughts in the free exchange of ideas. had i known you were sensitive to your thread running outside the eye of its needle, i never would have commented on another's post which did not relate directly to your personal op. i meant no disrespect to you, i will work to never again color outside the lines within your picture book and i apologize for any offense i caused herein.
I certainly did not feel any disrespect! And no offense taken at all! I was only wanting to head off what seemed to me the start of a really nasty argument. And it's true, as Mr. Bunny said, that threads take interesting turns. I should have kept my trap shut. :
Old 01-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
I should have kept my trap shut. :
Why? Join in. Be civil.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I shudder when I read the paper and watch the news, and see all the weirdos and perverts out there...
I made the news? :P

Put me on the "not looking to get married" list, although nothing is written in stone. Definitely enjoy a partner-in-crime, but haven't had much luck finding someone I can tolerate (and vice versa) for long periods.

How about a lifetime membership to a Japanese bathhouse?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Just saw this article today in the Seattle Post Intelligencer by syndicated columnist Maria Anglin regarding single women. Thought it was somewhat related to the topic of this thread. The last 7 paragraphs might explain why many women don't feel a need or desire to remarry after divorce or being widowed (or to marry at all). The article is not cynical.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinio...9_woman28.html

Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #60
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B

What we've done is financially discouraged the educated women from producing more than a very low number of children because of the extra stress and expense incurred in raising children. From a policy standpoint, I would like to financially enourage the best potential mothers to have more children.

Finacially, it may benefit individual gays to receive full spousal benefits but it doesn't contribute to encouraging a better next generation.
People would be free to choose and not be financially damaged as badly as our present system.
Relax, 2B. I've got a Ph.D., (as does my partner), am gay, and have had a daughter!! And, we're working on number two!! See, it's up to us educated gay women to save contemporary U.S. civilization from itself.
We're doing our dangdest....

theronware