Sinolympics

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
What other country could get away with this? No doubt there will be many more cloak and dagger stories emanating from [-]Peking[/-] Beijing between now and the end of September. I will not be following the Olympic games, but I will be interested in all of the side-shows that will crop up (see Tibet) in the mean time.

"All visitors should be aware that they have no reasonable expectation of privacy in public or private locations," according to the State Department site. "All hotel rooms and offices are considered to be subject to on-site or remote technical monitoring at all times. Hotel rooms, residences and offices may be accessed at any time without the occupant's consent or knowledge," it said.
US Olympic tourists warned about monitoring in hotels

Many athletes say that they will bring up human rights when they are interviewed by reporters. It sounds good, but I don't know realistically, if anyone can actually hear them. I think the Chinese government will probably institute in a few minutes of delay for live TV/radio coverage to censor these "unauthorized" speeches. Various organizations have already reported increased human rights violations since last month as the government tries to "ensure social stability" before the Games by jailing activists.

I always have one eye looking over my back while in China. It has never ever been a comfortable experience. Taiwan and Hong Kong have not been as bad.

R

I also was vaguely uncomfortable in China, not as bad as Russia in the 80s, but still you feel there are eyes everywhere.

I do distinctly remember last year watching CNN in my very good Western hotel in Bejing, there was a discussion about the election in Taiwan. One of the leaders of the Taiwan independence movement was interviewed, suddenly the screen went blank, a minute letter the signal return and the weather report is on LOL.

Back
Top Bottom