Join Early Retirement Today

Sirius XM radio rates
Old 12-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sirius XM radio rates

Auto renewal this month..called to cancel our 'all access' subscription and they immediately dropped the price in half for the same package. Certainly worth the call.

Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed Sirius XM last year when I took a long road trip. Stumbled on a 5 month promo and I think it was $5/mo. But other than for passing the time on long trips, I just didn't get much out of it at home. So dropped it. But would sign up for another promo if taking a longish trip.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have several cars with their service. Most of the time, I have had them cut the price in half if I tell them I want to cancel my service at the end of a term. Sometimes not. Depends on the agent you get I guess. But "twice" they would not make a deal and went ahead and cut off my service. However, in both cases, they called back in ~two weeks with an even better deal than half off. What a racket!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I found it pretty repetitive, the station I listened to repeated about every 3.5 days so I didn't renew after the free 6 month usage of a new vehicle.

I got hounded by them to come back for 1/2 price, never took it, now they are down to I think $5/mo for 6 months. I'm almost tempted, but I do have 40 Gig's of music I like on a thumb drive ready to play in the car on trips.

I'm on the fence about signing up, maybe I would if I had a easy way to play it inside the house.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I got hounded by them to come back for 1/2 price, never took it, now they are down to I think $5/mo for 6 months. I'm almost tempted, but I do have 40 Gig's of music I like on a thumb drive ready to play in the car on trips.
I like the many "gig's" of music on a thumb drive too. What I've found is I usually listen to one of the business, news or sports channels on XM instead of music. When I want music, I select the memory stick.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have a car you only use seasonally, let your subscription expire just after you put it away for the season. The radio has to be on in order for the signal they send to effectively cancel your service. After many months they stop sending the cancelling signal and you will have XM for life. The best part is you will no longer have to play their stupid, time consuming subscription cancellation/renewal games.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
If you have a car you only use seasonally, let your subscription expire just after you put it away for the season. The radio has to be on in order for the signal they send to effectively cancel your service. After many months they stop sending the cancelling signal and you will have XM for life. The best part is you will no longer have to play their stupid, time consuming subscription cancellation/renewal games.
What about when they turn on all radios like they do a couple of times a year? (free promo periods) Won't that pick up mine again and then turn it off after the free 2 week period?
Old 12-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

they don't play music i like to hear on the radidio so I use xm. not sure how much it costs 100 a year maybe?
Old 12-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
What about when they turn on all radios like they do a couple of times a year. (free promo periods) Won' that pick up mine again and then turn it off after the free 2 week period?
I don't know how they handle the free promotions, but I do know of several radios that have not had the signals turned off for many years (and are still on to this day), after doing as described above.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here's what I do: I sign up for their "intro rate" of about $5.50 a month for something like 5 or 6 months, then it is supposed to go up to $17 a month plus tax (~$23/mo).

Then when that offer is due to expire, I call and tell them to cancel. They send me to their "cancellation department" who then makes me a better offer.

I refuse several options ($12/mo, $9/mo, $8/mo) until I get back to the $5.50/mo deal. I agree to that for another 6 months.

Been doing it for years. I sort-of like Sirius mostly for the ability to listen to CNN, Fox, CNBC TV in the car. For $5 a month it's worth it. For more than that, not really.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
I don't know how they handle the free promotions, but I do know of several radios that have not had the signals turned off for many years (and are still on to this day), after doing as described above.
I have one car with an XM radio that I only drive a few times a year. Am tempted to try it to see if it works that way but, in thinking about this a little more, this seems almost like stealing, so I'll probably pass.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Here's what I do: I sign up for their "intro rate" of about $5.50 a month for something like 5 or 6 months, then it is supposed to go up to $17 a month plus tax (~$23/mo).

Then when that offer is due to expire, I call and tell them to cancel. They send me to their "cancellation department" who then makes me a better offer.

I refuse several options ($12/mo, $9/mo, $8/mo) until I get back to the $5.50/mo deal. I agree to that for another 6 months.

Been doing it for years. I sort-of like Sirius mostly for the ability to listen to CNN, Fox, CNBC TV in the car. For $5 a month it's worth it. For more than that, not really.
I feel the same way about the value and do exactly the same thing in negotiating the price. More than $5.50? Turn it off.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I found it pretty repetitive, the station I listened to repeated about every 3.5 days so I didn't renew after the free 6 month usage of a new vehicle.

XM is repetitive and I also found that the sound quality of the music on my USB stick is much better than what I hear on XM.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

They were so expensive I dumped them years ago on long road trips we've done amazingly well streaming to our iPhone plugged into the car sound system via USB. Lots of music channels from various free sources and if I really want news there is always streamed Bloomberg radio.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:38 AM   #15

We got in before Sirius and XM merged and have 3 lifetime subscriptions, for which we paid $250. DH loves the big band/40s/Sinatra channels, DS listens to New Age and classical. In the summer they have a channel called Yacht Rock which is fantastic for pool parties. We can get them in the iPhone and just plug to a small Bose system outside. In Ictiber they have a creepy sounds channel that we send out the porch window to scare the trick-or-treaters. At Christmas there are two different style Christmas music channels. There is an entire channel devoted to Broadway music. Sometimes I tune into cable news or NPR. They also have many sports channels and major metropolitan traffic and weather. There are a few places we can't get it, but it is a nice thing to have on road trips and on very early drives to the airport.

It appears that a lot of people have tried it but haven't explored all it has to offer.

Our area no longer has a good classical music station, so we are grateful for it.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:01 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Of course there's Pandora which has better and wider music for $4.99 per month, works in a tunnel and and can be streamed to any Bluetooth speaker (unlike xm)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, this is true. You can find used receivers at flea markets, garage sales,etc, that still "work". As in forever. I have a pair for several years now that I use occasionally.

However, IMO the audio quality s*cks. Its way too compressed and is really intolerable for anything other than voice.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
...Our area no longer has a good classical music station, so we are grateful for it.
How to listen - Classical KUSC

I listen to KUSC several times a week and love it!
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
How to listen - Classical KUSC

I listen to KUSC several times a week and love it!

I listen to kusc every day - They have a pretty good iPhone / pad / Apple TV app in addition to the kusc.org stream
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't pay more than $5 per month, otherwise you're getting ripped off. Be persistent when talking with their sales rep, they will give you the $5 per month deal if you hold firm, they have no choice really since their business model is under attack from many different technologies now.

Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote