Sites for downloading music?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I would like to download some songs/albums that are not available on Amazon or iTunes. (They are kind of obscure albums). I do a Google search and find sites that (apparently) I can download from, but I don't feel comfortable downloading their executable files. One site is Torrent, which I think is OK. I know many folks here have a similar taste in music as I do and was wondering where you download your music from, if not available on iTunes or Amazon.

I've only got about a half dozen albums through iTunes. A lot bought at physical record stores. I view the tunes I put up here as a little collection although some disappear.

I guess I don't download!

My favorite so far is Rhapsody.
For me the album format is long dead. With Rhapsody I can listen to the entire cut before deciding to purchase the download. They don't have everything available so I would do a search on their site before starting service.

I use emusic.com, which used to specialize in many of the less popular songs. But I'm not sure that they have many more than iTunes or Amazon.

GrooveShark... Grooveshark - Free Music Streaming, Online Music

Many songs available on demand. No requirement to sign up first or anything. Not sure how they do it but it has been around of multiple years.

Pandora is also fun, but you can't request a specific song like Grooveshark.

-gauss

I use spotify to listen to music and you can request songs.
I download from my library, which subscribes to the Freegal service. And also from iTunes. And sometimes I can get stuff on CDs from the library and then put them on the computer.
Might be worth seeing if your local library has Freegal for some of the music you are looking for.

Pssst: HFWR...Turnpike Troubadours my new favorite!!

Be careful of maleware at a lot of downloading sites. A couple of possibilities if you don't require the best fidelity: 1) See if what you want is on Youtube and then use one of the many Youtube downloader sites or apps to cut an MP3. 2) If there is an Internet radio station that plays the stuff you like use Station Ripper to cut the stream into MP3s while you sleep and then sort out the good stuff and time shift your listening.

I would like to download some songs/albums that are not available on Amazon or iTunes. (They are kind of obscure albums). I do a Google search and find sites that (apparently) I can download from, but I don't feel comfortable downloading their executable files. One site is Torrent, which I think is OK. I know many folks here have a similar taste in music as I do and was wondering where you download your music from, if not available on iTunes or Amazon.
I try to find the original CD or vinyl and go from there. That is the safest route, and you get to control the quality of MP3 output.

As for torrent sites, there is a tremendous risk. Definitely don't download an executable.

What is the obscure stuff you look for? Sometimes you can find a small group of people with similar taste, and they'll point you in a direction.

Back
Top Bottom