Join Early Retirement Today

Skiers! Check in here
Old 04-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Skiers! Check in here

2016-2017 is in the books. Fantastic season in Utah. I had 36 ski days, many of which I skied 30,000+ vertical feet. My ski app shows my season total is 670,000 vertical feet.

How was the season for everyone else?
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 06:39 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Didn't break a leg, so awesome! Beautiful days spent on crystal mountain.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #3

Live on the east coast but made it to CO again this year. 3 great days of skiing at breck, copper mountain and keystone. Got stoned to the gills each night...life is good.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

50 days, mostly on the east coast, with a week out west. About 630,000 vertical. Not a great season here though, and my week out west unfortunately was in a dry warm spell which made the snow sticky down low and either crusty or heavy off-piste. I didn't save my stats from previous years and lost them when I switched phones, but I'll bet this was pretty low.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

we had a great ski season in Idaho
Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
52 days and counting. It's still snowing here in southwest colorado, heading up to silverton mountain this friday for some unguided big mountain skiing, and up to molas pass for some backcountry turns today.

It has been a phenomenal snow year
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Slowing down as I get older....just 8 days skiing this season in St. Anton + 4 in Whistler
jerryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryo View Post
Slowing down as I get older....just 8 days skiing this season in St. Anton + 4 in Whistler
Skiied whistler when I was living in seattle (grad school). What a mountain. It was socked in the whole trip, and I never did see the entire mountain during that time.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Eastern skier here: As is usual, I didn't do much skiing prior to January, even though I have a pass. As the weather has warmed, I've upped the days. I had hoped to get a couple/few more days in this week and next, but I'm not much for skiing in the rain.

As I've gotten older, I find that it hurts more to fall. So, I avoid that. Still doing mostly blacks and occasionally double diamonds, but taking my time a lot more.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #10

I don't have the stamina I once had, but I still make at least one trip (usually two) to Colorado every year, skiing 3-4 days in each visit. Knees are still OK, but arthritis in my hip means I avoid the blacks now.

Blues are still great fun, and there are double blues in some places that are challenging. When the blues become a trial I'll give it up but I'm hoping that will be quite a while yet, since I bought new skis and boots in 2015.

A real treat was discovering how cheaply you can ski when you hit 70 years old!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #11

Partially tore an MCL this year, but still got 30 days in since I avoided surgery. Mountain bike season is now upon us!
Old 04-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No injuries for anyone in the family of 5, just one ski trip to Chamonix for 4 days. Kids (13, 11, 7) all confident on blue runs.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Five days in Deer Valley UT. Eleven days in the French/Swiss Alps. One day in New Hampshire.

We've done this cycle for over 20 years and Utah, always far and away the best.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

3 days at Zermatt and 4 days at Copper Mountain.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
gone traveling

My right knee caused me to give up Rockies trips for the last two years. Went about 25 years straight with 1-3 trips before then. Probably won't go back till I get a new one - knee that is. Trouble is, skiing is the one thing - pounding & twists - that really bothers it. Most days I don't even think about it.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Over 60 days and counting in Tahoe, a personal best. Typically > 25,000 ft per day, many exceptional powder days.

Several feet dumping right now, fat skis are waxed up for more powder turns.

A few resorts will be open into June and are advertising skiing on the 4th of July. It will be nice to rip a few late season groomers and back country trips, but the mt bike and ski boat are a bigger draw when temps hit the 80's.

Living my dream the last two years to FIRE and ski anytime. Body is holding up well, still improving and hope to keep it up for another decade or two.

Good to hear from the ER ski crew, may your snow be light and deep.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:58 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
My right knee caused me to give up Rockies trips for the last two years. Went about 25 years straight with 1-3 trips before then. Probably won't go back till I get a new one - knee that is. Trouble is, skiing is the one thing - pounding & twists - that really bothers it. Most days I don't even think about it.
For me part of aging was having to give up on the really rough stuff. Nowadays I try to stay on the groomed blues and blacks.

Just being out there and cruising is enough at this point; don't need to kill it anymore. A few runs, a long lunch at a nice slopeside restaurant, some sunning....