Join Early Retirement Today

Skydiving, oh geez
Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Skydiving, oh geez

Going skydiving this weekend with my daughter. It kind of escalated in a dare game with each other (seemed fun when we were just talking about it). Now we are all signed up. But last night as I'm trying to fall asleep, visions of being in the plane and jumping out were vivid. And it was scaring the crud out of me. Scared of heights.

I'll sure be glad when its over with. And by then I'll be glad to have done it. Kind of a bucket list thing I suppose.

Any advice from other folks on here who have already done it? Did you find it terrifying or not that bad? Was it a worthwhile experience?

For you military guys that have jumped out of planes over hostile territory please dont' remind me of what a wimp I am.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Kind of a bucket list thing I suppose.
Let's hope it isn't the last item on the list.

No one in their right mind jumps out of a perfectly good airplane. Just my opinion...
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

Please post after you've survived this.

My son talks about going skydiving sometime. I told him to wait until I'm dead. Either that or do it and don't tell me until after he's been successful.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Three of my friends and I jumped about 15 years ago. We decided on doing the "free-fall" jump which involved jumping by yourself with 2 jumpmasters who make sure you don't do anything stupid or black out. We had to take an 8 hour course (with a one-legged jump master no less!) before going on the jump. It was well worth it. Much better than on the tandem jump, where you just have a guy strapped to your back and he does all the work and you get a grand total of 30 min of 'training'.

None of us moved on to getting certified but it was a very fun experience. Oh and all that stuff you learn in the 8 hour course? It goes out the window (so to speak) when you jump. According to my jump master, I did most of my checks and maneuvers well, but drooled a bit because my lower lip was flapping in the wind.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The thought of you making the leap out of a plane gives me the ebbie-jeebies big time.

Other than that, it sounds like lots of fun
Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

No one in their right mind jumps out of a perfectly good airplane. Just my opinion...
+1 You will NEVER find me sky diving voluntarily. No way!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

No experience in either, but come to think of it, between sky-diving or bungee jumping, I think I'll take sky-diving.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:

I hope it's not the last one on my list either. And DW would agree that I'm not in my right mind. At least for a few minutes I won't be worrying about what the stock market did
Old 07-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Please post after you've survived this.

My son talks about going skydiving sometime. I told him to wait until I'm dead. Either that or do it and don't tell me until after he's been successful.

Will do. If you hear nothing back on Monday please start a new thread for me titled 'MuirWannabe retired earlier than expected'.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now, that's what I call wisdom... I was born to have my 2 feet firmly planted on terra firma. The thought of flying in a perfectly good airplane is already unnerving enough for me, so jumping out of one is . And the army thought I would make a great paratrooper!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #11

DW did that 3 years back, was 59 our younger son turned 18. She thought it was OK, he loved it and has jumped a couple times since. I jumped many years back, the old system, not a tandem. Didn't care for the freefall part but loved floating under canopy. Also liked several hot air ballon trips. But people pretty much jump for the freefall and that doesn't do much for me.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #12

Oh, get the video, we watch DWs occasionally.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I jumped with some co-workers 30 years ago. Went thru 8 hour training course. Each of us jumped by ourselves using a static line. We had radios in our helmets that I guess were for instructor - student communication. Mine did not work, and I steered for what I thought was the landing zone - I landed about 2 miles from the zone.

It was a very worth while experience. It is a little hectic before the chute opens - it seems like arms and legs are flailing all over. But it is amazing how quite and peaceful it is when the chute opens.

Things to remember:

1. The harness to the chute wraps around your thighs/butt in such a way that the straps are yanked extremely hard upward when the chute opens resulting in extreme crotch discomfort. I do not know how to resolve this problem - just be aware that it happens.

2. Steer so that you are facing the wind when you land. The chutes are made to travel approx 15-20 mph forward in no wind, so landing with a 20 mph wind at your back is like jumping off a truck doing 40mph - not good.

3. Keep your knees and feet together and eyes to the horizon when you land. If you are looking down when you land, you can bite off your tongue on impact.

Good luck and happy skidiving!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
3. Keep your knees and feet together and eyes to the horizon when you land. If you are looking down when you land, you can bite off your tongue on impact.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I only jumped out of airplanes when I was paid to do so.

For paratroopers the parachute is a form of rapid transit to the ground, into a pre-selected area, with lots of gear strapped on, unless it is a Hollywood jump.

In any case, it will clear your sinuses, restore your faith in whatever deity you choose. And give you a view unlike any other. The chute is one of the nicest skirts you will look up under. Unless it becomes a cigarette roll, which most likely will not happen, nor the Mae West.

Do pay strict attention to whatever training they provide, if something goes wrong the training will save your can.

Good luck and enjoy.

Edit add: on the feet and knees advice. Yep keep them together, knees slightly bent and TOES POINTED DOWN!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Going skydiving this weekend with my daughter. It kind of escalated in a dare game with each other (seemed fun when we were just talking about it).
I guess that's an important reminder about making a dare with someone who has nothing to lose.

Quote:
And it was scaring the crud out of me. Scared of heights.
Unless you've done this before, your fear is perhaps based in blissful ignorance. For that there's education, and then you can be scared for a reason.

A good school will let you practice the four parts of the jump-- how to get out the door (with a very stiff breeze), how it feels when the chute opens (keep those straps tight around your thighs or they'll find something to tighten around on their own), how to make the landing (like jumping off a ladder), and what to do if the chute doesn't open. Hypothetically the education will help you tamp down the fear a little. Hopefully they'll have you jump off a platform a few times to experience the different parts of the jump. Or, for a few dollars more, maybe you'll get some experience in one of the wind tunnels jump trainers.

If all else fails then the tandem jumper will have everything (including you) under control.

Quote:
I'll sure be glad when its over with. And by then I'll be glad to have done it. Kind of a bucket list thing I suppose.
Yeah, unless you do something embarrassing in front of your daughter and have to hear about it for the rest of your life. Just saying...

Quote:
Any advice from other folks on here who have already done it? Did you find it terrifying or not that bad? Was it a worthwhile experience?
Lots of anticipation (unless the plane breaks down), a good stiff breeze as you freefall, a hard shock as you decelerate, then a very pleasant trip down. Enjoy looking around as you head down, but near the end start keeping your eyes on the horizon so that you're not reaching for the ground and over-anticipating the landing.

Quote:
Did you find it terrifying or not that bad? Was it a worthwhile experience?
In 1979, when I was still 18 years old, I found it a worthwhile experience. I even jumped out of a few different types of aircraft on my own time. But by the time the Army Airborne sergeants were done with us, we would have jumped out of anything just to get away from them. And at USNA it was a good way to get the hell away from the school for an afternoon some liberty.

Quote:
It's not the airplane, it's the aircrew!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

It's not the airplane, it's the aircrew!
It is always fun for a few men of stick to try and grab the loadmaster and take him for a ride. Heck they already have their chutes on, might as well use it.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #18

I like small airplanes, and acrobatics in an airplane are fun. But unless the aircraft is fully involved in flames I'm staying with it.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Going skydiving this weekend with my daughter. It kind of escalated in a dare game with each other (seemed fun when we were just talking about it).
I have a great anecdote about exactly the same situation. In 1979 I took up sky diving but didn't make enough jumps to get much experience. Back then, you did 5 static line jumps and then started doing 5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec.. delays. I got up to 10 seconds and then moved to DC and had to quit. When my daughter heard about this decades later she wanted to go. I told her they wouldn't let a kid do it but when she turned 18 I would take her if she still wanted to go. Naturally, she remembered.

We went and it was fun. These days the first jump is a tandem 30 second free-fall - a great intro to the sport (you are attached to the instructor in front of you). - you can see me going out the door ahead of her (the gray haired guy who appears to be screaming) . It was enough fun that I went back for lessons. This time the jump was independent with two instructors providing stability and you steer the canopy down yourself. I came in so slow I was expecting to make a "hero" landing on my tip toes. I am not sure what happened but I think after I pulled the toggles flaring the canopy (which brakes your descent at the last moment) I must have raised my hands. I suddenly came down hard at the last moment and fractured my patella. I haven't gone back since
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have a great anecdote about exactly the same situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I suddenly came down hard at the last moment and fractured my patella.
Once again proving no one in their right mind jumps out of a perfectly good airplane one person's great anecdote is another person's potential nightmare.