Join Early Retirement Today

Slackers
Old 08-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Slackers

Just saw CBS SUNDAY MORNING item about slackers.*

This type of program usually is promoting a book and this one was no different.* It interviewed: Tom Lutz author of "Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America, whose son was a slacker and inspired the book.

Did an interview with a couple of surfers, who seem to embody the term.*

They did mention that the average worker dithers away about two hours daily, surfing the internet and socializing.* Some hard workers resented the slackers while others envied them.*

Here's a quote I liked:* "I do think that there's (an) enormous amount of energy spent looking busy in the average workplace. I can work all of the time, and I think if everybody in the country played as much computer solitaire as I do, the world would grind to a halt," Lutz says. BTW: It turns out that Lutz himself was a slacker during the Hippie era.

I looked for NORDS during the entire program, but alas, nowhere to be seen.* Must have been slacking er surfing.*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Slackers
Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #2

Quote:
I looked for NORDS during the entire program, but alas, nowhere to be seen. Must have been slacking er surfing.
I saw it and was thinking the same thing.....
Old 08-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I looked for NORDS during the entire program, but alas, nowhere to be seen.* Must have been slacking er surfing.*
Well, if they'd seen the surf that I've seen during the last couple weeks then the entire project would've been postponed... that book's on my reading list. I'm just waiting for the library to get their copy in.

I have fitness reports praising me as a "hard-charging, goal-oriented taskmaster" with "early flag potential" (those used to be considered good things).* Now I'm described as Doonesbury's "Ol' Surfer Dude".* The stereotypical implication is that, just because we're surfers, somehow we've discarded all our energy & initiative to emulate Spicoli*.

The reality is that dedicating one's attention to surfing requires an even higher degree of organization, effective time management, and productivity.* When I read the surf forecast at 5 AM and discover that I must spend the next three mornings in the water, then I'd better be caught up on honey-dos, family chores, the stock market, and anything else that can't wait.* I'd better have strong shoulder muscles and good legs.* The consequences of begging, pleading, & groveling* family abandonment* spaghetti arms missing epic gnarly curls would just be too severe.

By no means will I ever be in anyone's surf video with longboard lip-smashing helicopters.* But last week, in a surprising confluence of coincidences that may never be repeated, I managed to turn a late takeoff into an off-the-lip elevator ride that was followed by a bottom turn and another frothy cutback before cruising all the way to the beach and hopping off into the shorebreak with a "Yeah, I meant to do that" smile at the crowd.* It's taken me four years to get to that point.* I'd surf for another decade just to recapture that feeling.

So I sympathize with the term "slacker".* Maybe it's because this generation is discovering that there are more important things in life... just like us Boomers did in the '60s.

*Sean Penn's character in the movie "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", one of America's first & still foremost slackers.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I prefer to use the term "taking a break from gainful employment" to ER. I also use the term part-time portfolio manager. But I feel like a slacker compared to Nords. My idea of outdoor activity is hiking up a mountain, biking or playing bocce in the park by the ocean. Nothing like the physical endurance just described...
Old 08-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Just saw CBS SUNDAY MORNING item about slackers.*
..."I do think that there's (an) enormous amount of energy spent looking busy in the average workplace...
Now THAT would be worth some in-depth study.* - - > The amount of energy expended to LOOK THE PART of being busy.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #6

The best quote that I ever heard from Ronald Reagan was:

"Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance"
Old 08-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

"Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance"
As far as I know (and I can see at least 4 googlebooks that concur), the first person to formulate this important principle was Edgar Bergen
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
As far as I know (and I can see at least 4 googlebooks that concur), the first person to formulate this important principle was Edgar Bergen
Yeah, but which one was the ventriloquist and which was the dummy?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge

You're probably right and that is not the only instance where
Reagan took credit for something he didn't do!
Old 08-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You're probably right and that is not the only instance where Reagan took credit for something he didn't do!
Hey, Reagan was an actor and a politician by trade, reading scripts written by other people is what they do! 8)
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Just saw [url=http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/sunday/main3445.shtml]They did mention that the average worker dithers away about two hours daily, surfing the internet and socializing.* Some hard workers resented the slackers while others envied them.*

Here's a quote I liked:* "I do think that there's (an) enormous amount of energy spent looking busy in the average workplace. I can work all of the time, and I think if everybody in the country played as much computer solitaire as I do, the world would grind to a halt," Lutz says.* BTW:* It turns out that Lutz himself was a slacker during the Hippie era.
I goof off far more than 2 hours per day and I'm frequently complimented on how much I produce. Every time I hear that I do about an hour less. Pretty soon I won't have any time to actually work at work. I got a "competitive equalization raise" today so I won't spend less time being productive for someone else. If I went somewhere else I'd feel obligated to be production for 5 or 6 hours a day until I could recalibrate.

BTW -- My paid vacation time was increased last month, not that it kept me from taking off unpaid time before then.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #12

Quote:

You're probably right and that is not the only instance where
Reagan took credit for something he didn't do!
Yeah, he really didn't invent the internet.* Oh wait, that was Algore.*

Old 08-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Yeah, he really didn't invent the internet. Oh wait, that was Algore.
Actually if this was funny (which it isn't), it would not matter what the truth is. But this has been told so many times by the right-wing nuts, that most folks think it's actually true, which it isn't. Kinda like the 'Swiftboat veterans for Truth' - A complete Lie.

So if you are really interested in what the truth is, you can check out this link.

From the link:

In May 2005, the organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements honored Al Gore with a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the Internet. "He is indeed due some thanks and consideration for his early contributions," said Vint Cerf.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
Old 08-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #14

http://www.gargaro.com/algore.html

Gore and the Internet
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" Gore said when asked to cite accomplishments that separate him from another Democratic presidential hopeful, former Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey, during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN on March 9, 1999.
Gore supported technological advances related to the advancement of the Internet, but to say that HE took the initiative in creating the Internet is a bit much.
(Sources: Transcript http://www.wired.com/news/news/polit...ory/18390.html )
(Note: Lots of people seem to enjoy e-mailing me, professing that my information about Gore saying he "invented" the Internet is wrong, that he did support things which helped get the Internet moving, etc. First, I know he never said he "invented" the Internet. Please notice the quote above. Second, saying that he took the initiative in CREATING the Internet is still a funny statement since the Internet was already created and being used (ex: file copying via the UUCP protocol and e-mail) by the time he was elected to Congress. One can't take the "initiative" to "create" something which has already been created.)

while we're at it, the tobacco hypocrisy:

Gore loves tobacco.
"Throughout most of my life, I raised tobacco. I want you to know that with my own hands, all of my life, I put it in the plant beds and transferred it. I've hoed it. I've dug in it. I've sprayed it, I've chopped it, I've shredded it, spiked it, put it in the barn and stripped it and sold it.
(Source: [New York] Newsday, 2/26/88

Oh wait.. I didn't mean that...
"Sometimes, you never fully face up to things that you ought to face up to." -- Al Gore, discussing why he accepted checks from his family tobacco farm and contributions from tobacco companies for years after the tragic death of his sister that he spoke about so emotionally at the 1996 Democratic convention.
(Source: "'Numbness' Let Gore Accept Tobacco Help," San Francisco Chronicle, August 30, 1996)

This man is wooden, deliberately misleading, sanctimonious and utterly unbelievable.* But, thanks to 5-4, he's not president and never will be.*

Old 08-15-2006, 07:45 AM   #15

Quote:
First, I know he never said he "invented" the Internet.
Thank you!
Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
http://www.gargaro.com/algore.html

Gore and the Internet
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" Gore said
Well, it's published that it's an outcome of work done at CERN:

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Con...ements-en.html
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's not underestimate Al's ability to sell himself to his followers. *He did successfully sell them on the idea that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet." *That had to be at least as hard as a certain religious prophet selling the idea that he was/is the son of god and would lead his followers to grace and eternal life.

A "tip of the hat" to Al, a good ole tobacco growing southern boy who has made quite a splash and developed a cult following equal in zeal, if not numbers, to a major religion.