Sleep, Age, and Napping

Not since I started exercising 3 - 5 times a week. Before exercising, yes a daily nap.

no

My 11 month old requires a great deal of attention during the sleeping hours. In spite of that, I usually feel well rested during the day after spending 8 hrs sleeping/taking care of baby.

No Nap

When working, I woke up tired. Since retiring I sleep well, wake up refreshed without an alarm at 5-5:30 AM and am on the go all day.

47, 80, rarely nap.

When I worked full time, I only slept about 5 hours a night. I was exhausted every afternoon. After I reduced my hours to half time, for about 6 months I took a two hour nap every afternoon and slept like the dead. Now I get 8-9 hours of sleep per night, I'm rarely tired and I don't nap much.

I snore too. Had the blood oxygenation test, which ruled out sleep apnea. I am a vivid and complex dreamer and a light sleeper, so I wake often. Also menopause and a tiny bladder contribute to some of it. But I'm pretty satisfied with the way my sleep life is going.

sleep like a log (I go to bed early and get up early)
I don't nap but I can't wait until I do! ;) :LOL:

No

Normally, I rate my sleep quality at 95+ but it has gone down a bit since I am selling my house and I'm a bit anxious about my unplanned future.
I suspect after I close on the house and have a clearer vision of the future, I'll get back to my normal sleep patterns.

1. 34
2. 85
3. No

>TromboneAl, if you're looking for info on this, "we" already know a lot. Quality of sleep on average tends to get worse as you age, and napping is generally not a good thing unless its limited to short durations, such as 15 minutes. Of course i'm talking about averages here. Great diet and exercise, and avoiding certain foods before bedtime go a long way towards bucking the averages.

1. What is your Age? 53

2. How do you rate the general quality of your sleep (0=Terrible, bad insomnia every night, 100=great, always wake up refreshed and rested). 0

3. Do you usually take a nap during the day? Not with insomnia

I have apnea and also have a CPAP machine. I do not do naps or I would sleep even less at night. Lunesta has helped a lot but I would like to get off the pills to sleep more than a few hours a night. Gets old after 15 years of so.

Speaking of which, after 9 weeks of regular calling, faxing and pestering, BC/BS finally approved payment for Lunesta for me. So they WILL do it, you just have to wear them down.

From the major study I read, people who used lunesta for 6 weeks steady then stopped, had 2 iffy sleep days followed by a better sleep pattern than before they started...so it seems to 'retrain' you to sleep better. I dont know if that retraining 'stuck'.

Well, it's been five years -- time to compile the results!

Sleep.jpg

No clear relationship between age and sleep quality, nor age and napping, nor napping and sleep quality.

I did this quickly and didn't check my results very carefully.

Well, it's been five years -- time to compile the results!
No clear relationship between age and sleep quality, nor age and napping, nor napping and sleep quality.
I did this quickly and didn't check my results very carefully.
Are you looking for more data, and are we going to have to track down the study's original participants?

I happened upon this old thread when searching for something, and since I'd said I'd present a graph, I decided I needed to honor my promise.

Looks like I'm a little late to contribute since the chart is done but here's mine :-

55 when DH does his usual snoring acts and 70 when he snores less. 80 when all is quiet.
Sometimes esp after strenous activities in the morning.

Sleeping is a direct result of the number of toxins that you put into your body on a daily basis. If you are living in a polluted area, drinking toxins from water, soda, beer, wine, spirits and eating food that is processed and cooked food then you will need to sleep more as your body attempts to isolate and put those toxins into fat cells.

Since going 95% raw diet I have dropped back from being able to sleep for 12 hours on the weekend if not waken by a child, alarm, or other loud noises down to not being able to sleep longer than 7 hours, waking early in the morning alert and full of energy.

If you just did a 7 day 95% raw diet, I would say your need for sleep would decrease significantly. But it is a big change, it was for me. These are just my experiences, and yours may differ, but over 6 weeks I have lost 22lb without any additional exercise. I am never hungry or sleepy or out of energy. My nights of sleep are very restful now and I can fall asleep fast without any trouble. Unless I need to pee during the night I sleep for just under 7 hours and then can jump out of bed ready for the day ahead.

Also my snoring has stopped, I am sure a direct result of loosing 22 pounds. From my face 21lb of them were under my chin. LOL.

Sleeping is a direct result of the number of toxins that you put into your body on a daily basis. If you are living in a polluted area, drinking toxins from water, soda, beer, wine, spirits and eating food that is processed and cooked food then you will need to sleep more as your body attempts to isolate and put those toxins into fat cells.

Since going 95% raw diet I have dropped back from being able to sleep for 12 hours on the weekend if not waken by a child, alarm, or other loud noises down to not being able to sleep longer than 7 hours, waking early in the morning alert and full of energy.

If you just did a 7 day 95% raw diet, I would say your need for sleep would decrease significantly. But it is a big change, it was for me. These are just my experiences, and yours may differ, but over 6 weeks I have lost 22lb without any additional exercise. I am never hungry or sleepy or out of energy. My nights of sleep are very restful now and I can fall asleep fast without any trouble. Unless I need to pee during the night I sleep for just under 7 hours and then can jump out of bed ready for the day ahead.

Also my snoring has stopped, I am sure a direct result of loosing 22 pounds. From my face 21lb of them were under my chin. LOL.

Who knew.

Back
Top Bottom