Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Sleep, Age, and Napping
Old 02-28-2006, 08:38 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of which, after 9 weeks of regular calling, faxing and pestering, BC/BS finally approved payment for Lunesta for me. So they WILL do it, you just have to wear them down.

From the major study I read, people who used lunesta for 6 weeks steady then stopped, had 2 iffy sleep days followed by a better sleep pattern than before they started...so it seems to 'retrain' you to sleep better. I dont know if that retraining 'stuck'.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

59, 65, only nap when I'm at work.

setab

Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's been five years -- time to compile the results!

Sleep.jpg

No clear relationship between age and sleep quality, nor age and napping, nor napping and sleep quality.

I did this quickly and didn't check my results very carefully.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
No clear relationship between age and sleep quality, nor age and napping, nor napping and sleep quality.
I did this quickly and didn't check my results very carefully.
Are you looking for more data, and are we going to have to track down the study's original participants?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I happened upon this old thread when searching for something, and since I'd said I'd present a graph, I decided I needed to honor my promise.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks like I'm a little late to contribute since the chart is done but here's mine :-

55 when DH does his usual snoring acts and 70 when he snores less. 80 when all is quiet.
Sometimes esp after strenous activities in the morning.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Sleeping is a direct result of the number of toxins that you put into your body on a daily basis. If you are living in a polluted area, drinking toxins from water, soda, beer, wine, spirits and eating food that is processed and cooked food then you will need to sleep more as your body attempts to isolate and put those toxins into fat cells.

Since going 95% raw diet I have dropped back from being able to sleep for 12 hours on the weekend if not waken by a child, alarm, or other loud noises down to not being able to sleep longer than 7 hours, waking early in the morning alert and full of energy.

If you just did a 7 day 95% raw diet, I would say your need for sleep would decrease significantly. But it is a big change, it was for me. These are just my experiences, and yours may differ, but over 6 weeks I have lost 22lb without any additional exercise. I am never hungry or sleepy or out of energy. My nights of sleep are very restful now and I can fall asleep fast without any trouble. Unless I need to pee during the night I sleep for just under 7 hours and then can jump out of bed ready for the day ahead.

Also my snoring has stopped, I am sure a direct result of loosing 22 pounds. From my face 21lb of them were under my chin. LOL.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementColdHardTruth View Post
Sleeping Death is a direct result of the number of toxins that you put into your body on a daily basis.
FIFY...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
FIFY...
That is so true. Death is a direct result of the accumulation of toxins you put in your body. I have been seeing 95-110 year old that are still quite active as they have had a mainly raw diet coming directly from their gardens.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sleeping is a direct result of the number of toxins that you put into your body on a daily basis. If you are living in a polluted area, drinking toxins from water, soda, beer, wine, spirits and eating food that is processed and cooked food then you will need to sleep more as your body attempts to isolate and put those toxins into fat cells.

Since going 95% raw diet I have dropped back from being able to sleep for 12 hours on the weekend if not waken by a child, alarm, or other loud noises down to not being able to sleep longer than 7 hours, waking early in the morning alert and full of energy.

If you just did a 7 day 95% raw diet, I would say your need for sleep would decrease significantly. But it is a big change, it was for me. These are just my experiences, and yours may differ, but over 6 weeks I have lost 22lb without any additional exercise. I am never hungry or sleepy or out of energy. My nights of sleep are very restful now and I can fall asleep fast without any trouble. Unless I need to pee during the night I sleep for just under 7 hours and then can jump out of bed ready for the day ahead.

Also my snoring has stopped, I am sure a direct result of loosing 22 pounds. From my face 21lb of them were under my chin. LOL.
Who knew.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

So what is your usual raw diet?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A sleeping thread awakes after 5 years

I searched the thread to see how I responded and apparently I didn't. I must have been napping

Since I ER'ed 18 months ago I go to bed an hour later (11pm), sleep 2 hrs later ('til 7:30) and never nap during the day - it's great.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

1) 59

2) 90 (better when I'm not working)

3) No (even a short nap will keep me up all night)
Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sleeping is a direct result of the number of toxins that you put into your body on a daily basis. If you are living in a polluted area, drinking toxins from water, soda, beer, wine, spirits and eating food that is processed and cooked food then you will need to sleep more as your body attempts to isolate and put those toxins into fat cells. ....

I have been seeing 95-110 year old that are still quite active as they have had a mainly raw diet coming directly from their gardens.
I guess this guy didn't get the memo:

101-year-old Marathon Runner | Kansas Bob
101-Year-Old Trains for Marathon | Video - ABC News
He Sings, He Runs and He's Only 101 - ABC News
Quote:
He Sings, He Runs and He's Only 101

LONDON, March 5, 2008
Buster Martin is an unlikely candidate to set a marathon record. He drinks beer, smokes cigarettes and stays out late. And he's 101.

But Martin expects to shatter, or at least ease past, the record next month when he runs London's marathon. And he is counting on having a beer at the finish line.

"He smokes, drinks, stays out late, which is probably why he is still alive," said Charlie Mullins, the managing director of the plumbing company where Martin cleans vans.
He would post here to reply, but it says he retired at 97, but went back to work after 2 years 'cause he was bored. Wouldn't fit in here so well.

-ERD50