Sleep, Age, Napping Results

T

TromboneAl

Here are the results of our Sleep vs. Age and Sleep vs. Napping survey.

I'd say that the results aren't significant, but here they are anyway, after the first 39 data points.

We saw no clearcut decrease in sleep quality vs. age:

Attachments

• SleepVsAge.jpg
    SleepVsAge.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 103
And nappers reported more satisfying sleep than non-nappers:

Attachments

• SleepVsNap.jpg
    SleepVsNap.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 93
If I may, perceived and reported sleep quality vs age...which may have no bearing on actual sleep quality as one ages.

Also, does one sleep better if they nap, or nap better if they sleep? Does someone that just falls asleep easily both sleep and nap well?

:confused:

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
If I may, perceived and reported sleep quality vs age...which may have no bearing on actual sleep quality as one ages.

Also, does one sleep better if they nap, or nap better if they sleep?  Does someone that just falls asleep easily both sleep and nap well?

:confused:

Looks like you and I are the curve breakers on the sleep scale. My parents both had more sleep issues after they retired (65 and 62) than before they retired. My mother has gotten worse over the past several years and her doctor said it is an age related issue for some people. I have had sleep problems for many years but it seems to be getting worse in the past couple of years.

If I nap I won't sleep at night. If I don't sleep at night I would LOVE to take a nap about 4pm but don't dare because I know I will be up all night. For those that sleep well at night and take naps...consider yourselves lucky. You will most likely outlive those folks that don't sleep as much or as well. (There are studies to prove this but I don't have the time to link them here). Read "No More Sleepless Nights" for the references.

I notice there are 5 responses below 60 and all are mid-40 to mid-50 year olds. Must be a bad time for sleeping. :)

Yep, we both sleep like crap. My dad sleeps like crap and has his whole life. So did his father.

Go figure.

Its not physical. When I was on the company paid sabbatical for almost three months I started sleeping like a baby after 3 or 4 days. The second day back, I was wide awake and wired for sound at midnight and went back for the benadryl and melatonin.

Only difference then was that I absolutely didnt think or do much of anything. Paddled my kayak around, swam in the lake, rode my bike, read a little, did a little cooking, watched a little tv. Just vegetated mentally.

sgeeeee said:
Must be a bad time for sleeping.
Too many years of submarine duty. If I want to sleep soundly I have to put in earplugs, but I'm too paranoid to do so.

I can tell you by the change of sound whether the submarine has lost 60-Hz power to a non-vital bus, the 400-Hz power to the navigation system, whether the flooding is in the torpedo room or in the engine room, or even whether the reactor has scrammed. And apparently my brain just won't let go of that skill.

I am one of the nappers / good sleepers. I have always been able to
sleep through everything, and I am rarely awake more than about 20
seconds when I lay down. This is serving me in especially good stead
this week as I am babysitting 2 friends dogs this week, giving me 5
total (90, 70, 60, 50, 10 lbs) to pile into and out of my bed during the
night, usually about 3 at any instant.

Nords said:
Too many years of submarine duty.  If I want to sleep soundly I have to put in earplugs, but I'm too paranoid to do so.

I can tell you by the change of sound whether the submarine has lost 60-Hz power to a non-vital bus, the 400-Hz power to the navigation system, whether the flooding is in the torpedo room or in the engine room, or even whether the reactor has scrammed.  And apparently my brain just won't let go of that skill.

That all must come in handy in your house in Hawaii. :D

Seriously, it shows how dedicated you were to the welfare of your ship and your craft....not to mention looking out for your own tail at depth.

Back
Top Bottom