Join Early Retirement Today

Sleep Number vs. other airbed brands?
Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Sleep Number vs. other airbed brands?

For quite a few reasons, DH and I are going to buy an airbed. We've spent a good bit of time at the Sleep Number store this week and have selected our favorite (the "p6" model - no memory foam).

I have also spent a lot of time researching alternatives (lower cost) but am not totally happy with anything I have found.

Anyone have any experience with either Sleep Number or alternative brands?

TIA
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we've owned an "Anderson Air Bed" (also here, and their comparison to Sleep Number here, obviously not very impartial) for over 12 years. Functionally, I think it's about the same as the Sleep Number bed. When we bought ours there were no displayed numbers (you just filled each side to the point you wanted), but I see now that their controllers have a numerical display. Air channels, memory foam on top, then wool (cool in the summer, warm in the winter--if you want it). They sell a complete bed with drawers underneath, etc, but if you just want the mattress that's fine, too (just put the mattress on a solid platform in your existing bed frame).

The mattress has held up well, we got a slow leak in one side after about 10 years, they gave us a pro-rated credit and the the replacement unit has worked well. They are a small company, their web site is a bit archaic and clunky, but the product was good and a lot less expensive than the Sleep Number mattress, at least at that time (no big advertising, no brick and mortar stores, etc).

Here's a previous thread on Sleep Number beds.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We have an older select comfort (now sleep number) bed at home - probably 15-20 years old and love it. I don't know if its adjustable. We've never had a reason to change it.

Also have one in our condo - 12 years old. Condo bed loses air very slowly - probably 55 to 30 in a couple of months, so it needs to be adjusted. I have a hard time sleeping on any other kind of mattress
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We had a Sleep Number bed for more than five years. If you sleep on your back, I think you will be very happy with it. However, if you're a side or stomach sleeper like we are, it may not be ideal. Sadly we had to sell ours...an expensive lesson.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the info everyone. Midpack - why did you find it not good for side sleeping?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

We bought a Sleep Number bed 12 years ago and absolutely love it. One year ago we moved from southern IN to Mexico and the Sleep Number mattress and our iron bed are the only furniture we brought with us. Both DW and I sleep on our sides for a good deal of the night and have had no issues. No experience with any other air type mattresses.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We got a comfortaire. We like it, we love the adjustable frame. If you are considering select comfort, check them out. Same founders, different business model.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have had an adjustable Sleep Number for 2 years and love it. we looked at the Tempur-Pedic brand but the memory foam retained body heat too much for us. the Sleep Number has lots of layers of foam including a thin layer of memory foam and is very comfortable.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Midpack - why did you find it not good for side sleeping?
Until Midpack returns, take a look at the link I posted (first reply to your OP) to an previous thread here. Midpack gave more info there.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

had a sleepnumber for several yrs and love it. saved some $ by not getting the base parts. got some plywood, put it on top of box springs and it worked fine with existing bedframe. you (well,..I) have to check setting every nite cuz ambient temp (&air pressure?) alters it a bit during the day
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Maybe it's my exact sleep position and/or "geometry", but I woke up with aching shoulder joints more often than not when we had the Sleep Number. I tried ever setting from about 30 to 90, didn't help at all. I tossed and turned from one side to the other all night, sometimes my shoulder was numb and it woke me up. It was awful. I wasn't comfortable sleeping on my stomach either, and I've never been able to sleep on my back (like I should). It may just be me, but we had to sell ours it was so bad.

But again, it would not surprise me if the Sleep Number was ideal for back sleepers, especially for couples who might want differing firmness settings (like DW and I).

We have a Savvy Rest natural latex bed now, and I am still having some issues. It appears a good innerspring is the best choice for me. I know from periodic hotel stays and our guest room bed. Sigh...

TemperPedic does not interest us.

YMMV for sure.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #12

Thanks to all for the helpful info. Samclem, I was embarrassed to discover I had also posted on the original thread from 2012. I guess I had pushed to the back of my consciousness how long we've been miserable with our latex mattress.

Pending a "family meeting" on the purchase, I think we'll be going with the Sleep Number, mostly because the remote control on the adjustable bed and the mattress are integrated into one control rather than having to deal with multiple controls (likely to be an issue for DH due to specific disability issues). The frugal me wants to cobble together a cheaper solution, but this seems to be a good reason to use some of those better-than-budgeted stock market returns.