Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

The most lovey dovey, affectionate in all ways, couple that I know sleeps in different bedrooms. I don't think where you sleep has anything to do with your relationship. (DH and I always sleep in the same bed.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Perhaps I attach to much to it... But I disagree with ivinsfan... I sleep better snuggled next to my husband and find it much harder to fall asleep without him. I think that physical closeness and physical contact while we are asleep translates into a stronger connection when we are awake. But that's just my opinion... and it may not translate to another couple.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps I attach to much to it... But I disagree with ivinsfan... I sleep better snuggled next to my husband and find it much harder to fall asleep without him. I think that physical closeness and physical contact while we are asleep translates into a stronger connection when we are awake. But that's just my opinion... and it may not translate to another couple.
Yes,we are both around the mid-60' or more now and we worked 7 days a week at a job that required a 4AM wakeup and I think that we have messed up sleep patterns as well as age related sleep issues. All things being equal, we would still be in the same bed, but it's a trade-off we are willing to make for feeling more rested during the day and not being afraid to disturb each other when we can't sleep. I didn't mean to imply that it's not nice to snuggle with your SO, just that for some people it's not the optimal solution.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post

However, something that has really improved our sleep was buying separate comforters. We found early on that most of the time when we were waking each other up it was because we were fighting over the covers in our sleep. DW went and bought matching double size comforters. So when the bed is made it looks more or less right but at night we each have our own comforter.
This is a great idea! Thanks--we kinda do this with extra blankets in the winter, but that's brilliant to use two comforters. What about the sheets?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #45
gone traveling

We sleep together in sickness and in health. Isn't that what the wedding vows call for. Any how, I generally cannot get to sleep until DW comes to bed after being on her iPad until midnight or beyond.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW has a herniated disc and sleeps best in a recliner chair.

She's a night owl and I'm Mr. Early Bird. Throw in the occasional snoring issues, and it just works best to sleep separately.

Happily married for 39 years regardless of sleeping arrangements
Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Until the last couple of months, the DW would get irritated when I would leave. BUT...she likes the TV on all freaking night, the dogs and cat take up 3/4 of the king size bed and she snores terribly bad. Eventually I think she realized just how irritated I was getting at the lack of sleep and gave in. So now, we go to bed together and I hang around until she drifts off and the snore train starts, then I vacate to my slice of heaven that is the guest room. Our relationship is actually better now that she gets to spread out and I am not nearly as irritable during the day.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
This is a great idea! Thanks--we kinda do this with extra blankets in the winter, but that's brilliant to use two comforters. What about the sheets?
What are these sheets you speak of ?

DW would love a flat sheet on top, as well as the fitted below. I cannot abide the flat top sheet. They twist around your feet, bunch up around your back.... bah, a pox on them !

(that's one battle she let me win)
Old 03-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Weird, I know someone else who is like that about top sheets. Hmmmm, you've got me thinking...
However, if I keep getting up and sleeping in the guest room, it may be a moot point.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Over the 35 years with DW we have always shared the same (queen) bed. We do occasionally disturb one another but I would not want to be separate. The only exception was when I got pneumonia and coughed so much she could not sleep at all.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #51

The real question is, who sleeps in the wet spot ?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #52

First 35 years DW and I slept in the same full sized bed. A couple of years ago we got a nice king bed, now I sometimes have to look to see if she's there. Of course of 38 years there were about 150 nights a year when I was on the road. Looking forward to ER in 42 days!
Old 03-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #53

For some reason I read the title as "Sleep with spouse or someone else"?

So I got nothing to contribute here
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
First 35 years DW and I slept in the same full sized bed. A couple of years ago we got a nice king bed, now I sometimes have to look to see if she's there. Of course of 38 years there were about 150 nights a year when I was on the road. Looking forward to ER in 42 days!

Full sized bed? Wow!! That is intimate. I am single and thin framed and I sleep alone in a king size bed by myself. I love the space to roll around...When GF stays there is plenty of space. But she would never be allowed to stay over if I had a queen...That is not enough space for a roamer like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

We have two full size beds pushed together. Separate sheets and covers. Works great for us.
Pbkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
The real question is, who sleeps in the wet spot ?? Inquiring minds want to know.

We take turns.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
For some reason I read the title as "Sleep with spouse or someone else"?
So I got nothing to contribute here
I get up earlier than DW and when I leave, magically the cat takes my place on the pillow.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My DW agrees with you.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
.... I've been told I snore at times. I don't believe it.
DW used to make the same claim. Her snoring woke me up one morning and my Blackberry was within arm's reach so I videoed her for a minute. Later plugged it into the 46" HDTV and played it.... it was a big hit.... with the kids!!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW used to make the same claim. Her snoring woke me up one morning and my Blackberry was within arm's reach so I videoed her for a minute. Later plugged it into the 46" HDTV and played it.... it was a big hit.... with the kids!!
At least now you know why you are sleeping alone.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote