Sleep With Spouse or Separate?

Over the 35 years with DW we have always shared the same (queen) bed. We do occasionally disturb one another but I would not want to be separate. The only exception was when I got pneumonia and coughed so much she could not sleep at all.

We've always slept on the same bed unless one of us is sick or we had a heated argument which happened maybe a couple of times. We're relatively small people and have plenty of space to roam around in bed. She loves to have multiple pillows around her and occassionally, the sheets slide off one of us and the other one pulls it back in place. I give her a rub down when she wants it. We stay in place even when we're sick. I don't mind getting up to give her water or medicine when she needs it in the middle of the night. If she's watching tv and I decide to watch something else on the ipad or laptop, I put on the earbud.

I have problem staying asleep. I wake up at 3 am, get out of bed, read for an hour and fall back to sleep. She is cognizant of that and make sure that when she gets up for work, I don't get disturbed.

DH falls asleep watching TV on the couch almost every night. He typically comes to bed around 2am or 3am. I go to bed by 10am, so I guess we sleep together half the night.

Been married for over 30 years with 2 kids and we have a king size bed.

After several years of marriage, my wife said she couldn't take my snoring anymore and said she was going to sleep in the next room. I offered to do so instead and after about a year, I noticed we started drifting apart, maybe because we were less intimate.

I decided to go for a sleep study and was diagnosed with severed sleep apnea. I started to use a cpap machine and that was the day we began sleeping together again. I found we started to connect more, I was able to sleep better, not only due to the cpap machine, but that my wife was next to me and that she wanted me there.

Maybe it's all in the mind, maybe it helps us be closer to each other, but if it ain't broke, why fix it. It works for us and I really enjoy waking up every morning seeing her sleeping peacefully beside me.

During the time that I was in the next room snoring, I felt we didn't have a choice as my wife needed her sleep and I felt better knowing I wasn't causing her to loose sleep. In the end, I believe it worked out.

Sleep together with spouse in full/double bed. Sometime the kitties join us too.

Each of retains and indeed exercise the option on occasion to move to the couch if someone is having trouble sleeping for whatever reason.

Both of us also retain the right to move the kitties out at any time and for any reason.

-gauss

We sleep together even though my snoring and tossing and turning (due to back problems) keeps her awake a lot. I don't know how she puts up with me!

Flyboy, there are definitely some gems. Hamblin cracks me up--he looks about 12 years old, has this totally deadpan delivery, and digs up the weirdest guests and topics. I'm a big fan!

As soon as you attached "science" to a sentence, somehow it makes it more valid. Please Dr. Doogie Howser...

Only 1 out of 4 people choose to sleep separately and that should be the norm? I think that maybe there's social reason why 75% of the people choose to sleep together. It could be that in our old age, it is not much different than babies needing the security of someone's touch and social interaction of another being (even in their sleep), otherwise, when left alone, they die!

Sorry, not a fan of this Dr. Doogie... :)

Same bed for 30 years - me, her, plus 1-4 cats. If one of us is sick we move to the recliner. And the fan must be running.

Back
Top Bottom