Join Early Retirement Today

Slot Fan for Computer Case Cooling?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Slot Fan for Computer Case Cooling?

My computer case is running a bit warm. A symptom my computer is having is that the graphics card sometimes shows a warning and then the graphics defaults to Windows instead of the card. I cleaned the inside of the case of dust, and this helped, but didn't solve the problem. Just now, I removed my modem card (does anyone still use modem cards ) that was blocking some of the video card's airflow and this dropped the temperature by 2 degrees celsius. Next I'm thinking about getting a slot fan to put by my video card.

Maybe that will draw out more hot air from the graphics card but I'm wondering how effective this would be. Will a slot fan really make much difference?

My video card has no fan, just a heat sink. My computer cpu temp is currently 53 degrees celsius.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not sure that a slot fan will fix the temp issue. Sounds like the CPU is even a bit high. Maybe a new case fan with a higher CFM.

They are very cheap. Like $6 at NewEgg.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Is 53C (127F) considered high?

My E-machines laptop CPU seems to run between 113F and 129 (low speed fan kicks in ~ 1M; then off ~ 2M).

I assume that is 'low speed', never heard it kick in higher though. Not sure what is considered normal.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The computer was rebooting by itself not long ago. That was before I got rid of all the dust. Removing the modem card dropped the temp down by 2 degrees celsius. At this moment the cpu temp is 59 degrees C which really shouldn't be in danger zone. Haven't got the video card message at all today. My case already has a 120mm fan. I had replaced it one time before (not recently). It seems to work fine. If the problems persist, I might have to try reapplying thermal paste on the CPU.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #5

easysurfer, do you have just a heat sink on the CPU or a fan also?

Your 120mm fan should be removing a lot of hot air if there is a nice area for intake of fresh air.

Even applying Arctic Silver will not do a lot unless you have a combo sink and fan.

What CPU is it?

Also, check your temps by booting into the BIOS. Other sources of heat info are usually flaky as a croissant.

53C is OK, nothing to worry about, just not exactly optimum cooling going on.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #6

easysurfer, do you have just a heat sink on the CPU or a fan also?

Your 120mm fan should be removing a lot of hot air if there is a nice area for intake of fresh air.

Even applying Arctic Silver will not do a lot unless you have a combo sink and fan.

What CPU is it?

Also, check your temps by booting into the BIOS. Other sources of heat info are usually flaky as a croissant.

53C is OK, nothing to worry about, just not exactly optimum cooling going on.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #7

ERD50, anything between 40C and 60C is pretty much normal and totally depends on the CPU load and how efficient the cooling system (thermal paste/interface, heat sink and fan) is.

I've seen data that said a CPU at 45-55C will not breakdown due to thermal issues in a normal lifetime of 10 years. So 53C seems fine for the CPU itself but if the fans are not sufficient that temp adds lots of heat to the ambient inside the case.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, have both a heatsink and CPU fan. CPU is AMD Anthlon XP. The 120mm fan does do a pretty good job removing the hot air out. That case (Aspire X-Qpack) is a micro one and does allow for airflow.

Cleaning out the dust (there wasn't that much) and removing the modem card has seemed to help. I haven't had the VPU message at all yesterday.

I was getting that regularly along with self-reboots before the cleanup.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #9

Ahhhh, a microATX, that could be a fun experience trying to optimize the airflow. Heck for $7, I'd try this just for fun.

I think the Apevia 120mm fan you have is 64 CFM, and pulls most of the air thru that slot in the lower front of the case. But the 120mm fan looks kinda far above the motherboard and the graphics card is not near any air intake except maybe the area near the power supply.

1. Remove all the slot covers where the graphics card mounts.
2. Mount this fan blowing outward for an extra 28 CFM of air directly over the graphics card.
3. Probably just mount it with double sticky tape till you see if it works.

PS: If not a big improvement, change the fan to blow inward.

Lots of luck.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't know anything about these but grandson has recently purchased a water cooled computer. Never head of one until he clued me in. Of course, there is a lot of things I don't know about.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Ahhhh, a microATX, that could be a fun experience trying to optimize the airflow. Heck for $7, I'd try this just for fun.

I think the Apevia 120mm fan you have is 64 CFM, and pulls most of the air thru that slot in the lower front of the case. But the 120mm fan looks kinda far above the motherboard and the graphics card is not near any air intake except maybe the area near the power supply.

1. Remove all the slot covers where the graphics card mounts.
2. Mount this fan blowing outward for an extra 28 CFM of air directly over the graphics card.
3. Probably just mount it with double sticky tape till you see if it works.

PS: If not a big improvement, change the fan to blow inward.

Lots of luck.
Thanks for the suggestion about blowing the air towards the 120mm fan.

Along with the vents on the lower front of the case, there's also vents on the front sides.

As for now, I'll leave well enough alone unless I start getting the VPU message again or the computer starts self-booting again. Funny, as of this moment (I just started up my computer for about ten minutes -- it was shut down as I went out to grocery shop) the cpu temp only read 49 degrees C and not steadily climbing.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Also check the location of your PC. If its stuffed under a desk and pushed up against something, the airflow may be blocked.

Summer has higher indoor ambient temps which cause more heat build up inside the case. I've had good luck with the slow and quiet 120mm fans. They really move air, and are quiet (so my PC doesn't sound like a jet taking off).
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Well, I noticed another symptom. This may or may not have anything to do with the heat situation. When I shut down my computer, I noticed the blue LED light on my 120 mm fan still flashing and the fan blades wiggle back and forth as though it still is trying to spin. To stop this, either I needed to unplug the power cord or switch the power switch rocker on the back of my power supply to off.

I'm wondering maybe my power supply is starting to go bad? The fan on the power supply is still spinning to exhaust air, but now I think maybe it's starting to wear?

Though serveral years old, the power supply is a reliable brand -- Antec, I think 400 or 500 Watt.