Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I have also done turkey breasts this way. No water.
+1 Toss some Lipton onion soup (dry packet) on it, set it and forget it!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread caused me to wipe the dust off my crock pot. Dumped chicken breasts, with sliced potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, chicken broth

Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan
This thread caused me to wipe the dust off my crock pot. Dumped chicken breasts, with sliced potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, chicken broth
Sometimes I hate my Ipad.. with tomato sauce and seasonings. Very good, I need to do this more often.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I concluded that my standard Rival crockpot is not thermostatically controlled. It has no way of sensing the temp in the detachable pot. Works great, though.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I concluded that my standard Rival crockpot is not thermostatically controlled. It has no way of sensing the temp in the detachable pot. Works great, though.
Your conclusion may not be correct. True, the removable pot has no sensor, but a system like this can have a thermostat that senses the surrounding area - this would be a 'loosely coupled' system. The designers may find that keeping the surrounding area at say, 230F will maintain 200F in the pot under typical conditions, close enough.

But I got curious and took ours apart (recall that I said I never saw it turn off, even hours after adding boiling water). There does not appear to be any thermostat. I think they rely on the fact that boiling absorbs so much energy, that a pretty wide range of heat will bring to just under a boil, but won't get an active boil going.

-ERD50
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to be so late to the meal -- I have been away. I use large casseroles, dutch ovens, and pans and either braise on the stovetop at simmer or slow cook in a low oven (225) for hours with excellent results. I bought "The Best Slow & Easy Recipes" from Cook's Illustrated. It has some great recipes and a lot of technical advice about what works and doesn't work with each style of cooking.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not much of a cook but crock pots can make even me look acomplished
I throw in a beef roast, can of mushroom soup, potatos, carrots, onions (veggies on top) and about eight hours later... Yummmy!

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #48

Brown pork chops in a skillet with a little olive oil, put chops and skillet juices into crockpot with one large chopped onion and a can of Campbells cream of mushroom soup, add whatever spices you like and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 or 4 hours. Delicious served over rice or noodles or beans.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #49

I've been using slow cooker for more than 20 years. It is one of my favorite way to cook a meal - needs so little attention and yet produces such great and tasty food. My favorite (like some of you in the thread have mentioned) is to throw the whole chicken in together with some seasoning, herbs and mushrooms. No water needed but up to you if you want some it soupy. I leave it in the cooker for 4 hours and it is so yummy. Boiling soup, beef roast and braising stuff too. Endless things you can use with a slow cooker!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

All this slow cooker discussion got me hungry.

So, I ended up cashing in my Sears/Kmart rewards points before they expire towards a brand new crock pot.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #51
Administrator

Easysurfer, I'm nearly to that point myself. These recipes sound so delicious.

Not to hijack this discussion, but does anyone have an opinion on what should one look for in a slow cooker? I have never had one, and would be cooking just for myself and freezing any excess.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Easysurfer, I'm nearly to that point myself. These recipes sound so delicious.

Not to hijack this discussion, but does anyone have an opinion on what should one look for in a slow cooker? I have never had one, and would be cooking just for myself and freezing any excess.

I have only owned 2 crockpots. My first was the old fashioned avacado green Rival (35 years ago) that you could set on Low/High/Off. It was all one piece and a horrible pain to wash. It exploded about 5 years ago, so my number one requirement in the new crockpot was that the crock had to be separate from the heating element. Since I tend to cook everything about 8 - 10 hours on low, other fancy settings weren't that important, although my new one has Low/High/Keep Warm and can be set for 4, 6, 8 or 10 hours.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I have only owned 2 crockpots. My first was the old fashioned avacado green Rival (35 years ago) that you could set on Low/High/Off. It was all one piece and a horrible pain to wash. It exploded about 5 years ago, so my number one requirement in the new crockpot was that the crock had to be separate from the heating element. Since I tend to cook everything about 8 - 10 hours on low, other fancy settings weren't that important, although my new one has Low/High/Keep Warm and can be set for 4, 6, 8 or 10 hours.
Thanks, MissMolly! That sounds like exactly what I would want, too. I don't want to cook anything fancy but some of the "bachelor style" whole chicken recipes where you throw a chicken and a few other things in the pot and let it cook all day sound easy and convenient.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Here's a link to the model I got tonight:

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com

I'm satisfied with just the three settings. I know other models have more settings and are programable, but the simplicity should work for me.

I also have a round slow cooker from years back, but that is too small to fit a whole chicken which is my immediate desire. I like having the meat drop off bone and chicken broth that a crock pot does.

In the past I had a slow cooker that even in the low setting would cook too much. Hopefully, my new one won't do that.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #55
Administrator

That looks very nice, Easysurfer, and at a good price, too. Thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

There was another one I saw that had a clip on cover as sometimes covers can come off and also that was to make sure the cover stays on if you travel (such as bringing a slow cooker meal to a pot luck dinner). But the clamps seemed too tedious to me and I don't plan on traveling much with it.

Crock pot cooking brings back memories of days of w*rking. I'd fill it up in the morning, then after a long stressful day of w*rk, come home to an already prepared meal. Comfort food to forget about the j*b.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #57
Administrator

I wouldn't ever take it anywhere, either.

Now that I am retired, I am thinking a slow cooker would be really nice, too. I could start it before leaving the house for the day's activities. Then, in the evenings I could leave it on "warm" until I was hungry.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #58

I cook whole chickens with herbs, turkey breasts, small pork roasts or boneless pork chops in teriyaki sauce. I often buy rotisserie chickens and freeze the scraps and the carcass after cutting the meat off. When I have 2, I make chicken stock in my crockpot by covering them in water and cooking all day. Very easy. Ham is good in the crockpot too since it doesn't dry out like it can in the oven.

I will cook bone in chicken breasts and then use the meat to make chicken salad.

Checkout this blog; she has a ton of recipes on her site. She also has 2 cookbooks. A Year of Slow Cooking
Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #59

W2R,
I have two of them. A 4 quart Rival Crock Pot that is very simple: Off, Low, High. The crock is a separate piece of pottery that can go in the dishwasher.

Then, I got intrigued with getting a larger crock pot that had a timer on it and push pads instead of a switch. It's a 6 quart that will accommodate larger recipes and whole chickens. Again, it's a Rival brand with a separate piece of pottery. The lets you determine when it will start up, and it does go to a warm setting at the end of the cycle.

The second one is great when you want to delay start of cooking, in terms of when you turn it on. But, I find I use the smaller one more and if I want to delay cooking, I use a plug-in timer that tells it when to start and stop.

It's great for making a full recipe and then freezing what you don't eat.

As for recipes, you can find may good ones at the manufacturers' web sites, cooking sites such as Cooking Light and Eating Well.

Rita
Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #60
Administrator

Thanks, GotaDimple, for your very helpful post. I started out thinking of a 4-quart, but I'm not sure that would be big enough to cook an entire chicken. On the other hand, some might be and they would take up less counter space. I am also thinking of a bigger one, though, since I would like to cook a larger quantity and freeze in portions (to then microwave later). I definitely want one that will go to "warm" automatically after cooking.

- - H. Melville, 1851