Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a fairly large crockpot, 6 or 8 quart but don't remember off hand which (and it's at home in IL and I'm in FL so I can't look.....dang it! ). I've been pondering picking up a smaller one, because for some things the big one is just overkill when cooking for two people. Of course I know my neighbor prefers that I use the larger one, since he enjoys a lit of our extra leftovers!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #62

Oh, and I forgot to add that I have the 'Crock•Pot' App on my iPhone that has a lot of good recipes in it. A lot of the time though, I just wing it and try my own concoctions, and if they turn out good....it's a keeper! If it turns out not so good, I just don't tell anyone!!!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #63
Administrator

Hmm! That's interesting that you are thinking about a smaller crockpot, Goonie. Reviews of one oval four quart slow cooker I have been looking at say it can hold a whole (small) chicken. Maybe that one would be big enough for me.

Often I buy a rotisserie chicken, but I am thinking that a crockpot chicken would be healthier due to less salt, butter, and so on.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

3 of my favorite recipes:

1) throw boneless chicken parts in with 1 cup BBQ sauce, some onion and spices (your preference) & 1 can of diet cola. Cook until done

2) Boneless chicken with 1 package of taco seasoning mix and a cup of salsa. Just before serving, remove chicken and shred it, add 1/4 FF sour cream to the sauce and serve over rice. The chicken is also good cold, so I use it for tacos the next day

3) Blend 1 full mango with red chili paste (to taste) and 6 or 8 pieces of fried bacon. Pour the mix over pork loin (probably good with chicken too, I imagine). This is absolutely delicious!

We use the crockpot to keep mashed potatoes or gravy warm during family get togethers and buffets.

I have a 112-page recipe book of low fat crockpot recipes. If anyone wants it, please send me a private email and I'll forward it to you.

Nui
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing I will say... do not do what my wife did... (I just can't help myself )...

We had a removeable crock... so she put the leftovers in the fridge... the next day she takes it out and puts it on the stove... and turns it on

I think it took less than two minutes for it to crack... lucky that it did not explode...
Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
Hmm! That's interesting that you are thinking about a smaller crockpot, Goonie.
There are many times that I'd like to make some soup or chili for dinner, but I don't want to make a big batch that will provide for leftovers. And since whatever size pot, pan, kettle, or crockpot I use, I'm going to fill it up!!! It's just a habit....'if some is good, too much is better'. So a smaller crockpot would corral me in a bit.....maybe.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I have only owned 2 crockpots. My first was the old fashioned avacado green Rival (35 years ago) that you could set on Low/High/Off. It was all one piece and a horrible pain to wash. It exploded about 5 years ago....
I still am using this exact same model! So exciting to think it will explode soon!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One thing I will say... do not do what my wife did... (I just can't help myself )...

We had a removeable crock... so she put the leftovers in the fridge... the next day she takes it out and puts it on the stove... and turns it on

I think it took less than two minutes for it to crack... lucky that it did not explode...
+1 Don't do this: YMWillNotVary

I was at a friend's house recently and the soup she was reheating in a slow cooker wasn't heating up fast enough, so she took the removable crock out and put it on the stove. A few minutes later - a broken crock and soup all over the place. Not pretty. (Note - I was in another room but would have been a good friend and told her not to do that had I been in the kitchen!)
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hmm! That's interesting that you are thinking about a smaller crockpot, Goonie. Reviews of one oval four quart slow cooker I have been looking at say it can hold a whole (small) chicken. Maybe that one would be big enough for me.

Often I buy a rotisserie chicken, but I am thinking that a crockpot chicken would be healthier due to less salt, butter, and so on.
W2R,

Here's a couple of pictures of my new crockpot so you can get a perspective of size.

I have a 7 quart crockpot and that's about a 5.5 lb chicken inside. A 7 quart size leaves plenty of room for vegetables along the sides.

The other picture is the free carrying bag (with crockpot inside) that came with the crockpot. At first, I didn't think much of it, but now I really like the bag. It's a nice fit if I ever travel with the cooker and also keeps the dust away for storage.

Easysurfer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crockpot1.jpg (565.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg crockpot2.jpg (427.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer

W2R,

Here's a couple of pictures of my new crockpot so you can get a perspective of size.

I have a 7 quart crockpot and that's about a 5.5 lb chicken inside. A 7 quart size leaves plenty of room for vegetables along the sides.

The other picture is the free carrying bag (with crockpot inside) that came with the crockpot. At first, I didn't think much of it, but now I really like the bag. It's a nice fit if I ever travel with the cooker and also keeps the dust away for storage.

Easysurfer
Thanks, Easysurfer! There is definitely a lot of room in there. Whew - - - it is huge. After looking at it, I am much more certain that I should get a smaller one. Again, thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #71

I went to Books-A-Million today to browse and grab a cup of coffee. I wandered down one aisle that was about 40 feet long and it was ALL cookbooks, on both sides! There were at least a hundred different slow-cooker cookbooks there! Later, after a coffee break, I found another aisle (just as long as that first one) that had MORE cookbooks.....about 3/4 of that aisle on only one side! Easily thousands of cookbooks of every flavor!

And so, I walked away with 2 new slow-cooker recipe books! I also had bought another one a few days ago at a Cracker Barrel restaurant, along with one for cooking in cast iron!!!

I guess when I get back home, I'll have to get cooking in earnest!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thanks, Easysurfer! There is definitely a lot of room in there. Whew - - - it is huge. After looking at it, I am much more certain that I should get a smaller one. Again, thanks.
I get a lot done with a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker. 4 quart might be better.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I get a lot done with a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker. 4 quart might be better.
Thanks. After seeing how large Easysurfer's 7 quart slow cooker really is, I was thinking somewhere in the 3-5 quart range. 4 quarts might be just right.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

With a small one you probably want an oval one if you plan to do a whole chicken. Otherwise, the shape doesn't matter that much.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

We have a couple of crock pots, and for some reasons my wife has not been using them recently.

Her new toy kitchen tool is a "thermal cooker". I wonder how many here have this. A thermal cooker is basically a big thermos bottle. It has an inner pot that you bring its content to a boil on a stove, then put that pot inside a larger double-walled container with vacuum to keep it hot and to simmer.

A thermal cooker does not have a heating element. Therefore my wife uses it mainly to simmer soup bones, either chicken or beef bones, to make soup for me (I've got to have soup stock from real bones, no bouillon cubes for me). She got a big 2-gallon model, and it does that very well. Because there is no heating element, it can be left unattended, and cannot burn food at the bottom.

Right now, she has a batch of bolognese sauce simmering in it.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

My first meal in the new slow cooker is cooking away.

The 7 quart size isn't really too big as long as I put in plenty of vegetables. In the pot, I've got 3 potatos, 2 1/2 onions, a few baby carrots, a few celery stalks, and two corn cobs with the 5.5 lb chicken. Everything fits nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crockpot3.jpg (518.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
... I really like the bag. It's a nice fit if I ever travel with the cooker...
Eh, how are you going to travel with a crock pot?

You are not checking it in at an airline counter, nor cooking in a motel room on road trips, right? An RV in your future?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, how are you going to travel with a crock pot?

You are not checking it in at an airline counter, nor cooking in a motel room on road trips, right? An RV in your future?
You might shocked to learn this, NW-Bound, but some people take their crockpots to parties!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
We have a couple of crock pots, and for some reasons my wife has not been using them recently.

Her new toy kitchen tool is a "thermal cooker". I wonder how many here have this. A thermal cooker is basically a big thermos bottle. It has an inner pot that you bring its content to a boil on a stove, then put that pot inside a larger double-walled container with vacuum to keep it hot and to simmer.

A thermal cooker does not have a heating element. Therefore my wife uses it mainly to simmer soup bones, either chicken or beef bones, to make soup for me (I've got to have soup stock from real bones, no bouillon cubes for me). She got a big 2-gallon model, and it does that very well. Because there is no heating element, it can be left unattended, and cannot burn food at the bottom.

Right now, she has a batch of bolognese sauce simmering in it.
This thermal cooker thingy looks perfect for camping, or in disaster situations where kitchen fuel is limited. Or if you want to cook stews in the summer time in an RV.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I am sure my wife will take it along for our next RV trip. It's expensive compared to the normal crock pot, but my wife needs or deserves some indulgence sometimes.

It will take a lot of bone simmering for the electric savings to add up to its cost. The real advantage of this is that the entire home does not smell like soup, because there's no steam evaporating from it.