Join Early Retirement Today

Slow tablet suggestions?
Old 07-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Slow tablet suggestions?

I'm not very techy when it comes to computers so I'm looking for a dumbed down answer as to why my Nook HD + has gotten so slow.

It is like a bad employee, it always seems to be busy, but not working on anything I need done.

I installed a cache cleaner and have eliminated all the apps that I don't really need (except for the crap loaded by Nook), but it takes forever to get going after being idle for awhile and is still slow doing simple tasks.

Any suggestions for how to figure out what it finds so much more important than my silly wants?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Assuming you have completely re-booted it (did you? Memory gets allocated and only a full on/off will really clear it up sometimes), then maybe a full blown factory reset to defaults is in order? That will mean a fair amount of re-enetering setup info, but might be what's needed.

I don't know if the Nook has a 'task manager' (maybe an add-on app?) - something like that might show you if an app is using a lot of CPU and/or memory.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are the apps you've installed over the last several months, going back to before you first started noting the table slowing down?
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
What are the apps you've installed over the last several months, going back to before you first started noting the table slowing down?
Just a few forums like this and Flipboard. Slow down has been gradual over several years, not abrupt.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #5

That's natural. The more apps you add, the more likely one or another will take up residence in memory despite your intentions and slow the tablet down. Some of the battery saver apps claim to give you some control over this, but I found that the best approach for me was keeping the apps installed to just those I'm likely to use, relying on the ability to re-download apps wirelessly should I guess wrong.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:24 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm an iPad user, so can't comment on Nook specifics. Here are a couple of strategies I use:

1. Before shutting down, I regularly close all the apps I have used that session, which have been running in the background.
2. I periodically go into "Usage", which shows all the apps installed and how much space they are taking up. I delete rarely used apps. But the biggest chunk of storage is photographs. I share the ones I want with the cloud and delete the rest.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Just a few forums like this and Flipboard. Slow down has been gradual over several years, not abrupt.
Is the operating system being updated? That can easily be a cause of overload, as updated and newer versions are simply too big for older hardware.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is the operating system being updated? That can easily be a cause of overload, as updated and newer versions are simply too big for older hardware.
Could be. That is what killed my Ipod 2
Old 07-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This thread made me happy I didn't get a tablet over the Amazon Prime sale .
Old 07-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
This thread made me happy I didn't get a tablet over the Amazon Prime sale .
Nook is Barnes & Noble. Kindle is Amazon. I have 4 Kindle Fires in my household (oldest was shipped the day it was released). Other than one battery death, I've never had any slowdown issues.
I have noticed with plenty of other tech (such as Ipod, Ipad, Iphone, Samsung galaxy) that the slowdown occurs slowly until you get a system upgrade and then BAM! it suddenly turns almost unusable.
The best solution is to backup any content you have and perform a full system wipe back to factory settings (unfortunately most system upgrades are irreversible). Then reinstall any content you need. If it's still too slow, it's time for an upgrade.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #11

I have a Nexus 7 (original) that is useless from the latest OS upgrade.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #12

I have a Nook HD Plus. I turned on text to speech once. It totally froze up. Had to do a complete wipe and reinstall to get it back.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a software option available to convert your Nook to use android. I used it myself and love it. You download onto an sd card, and can dual-boot after. Link to site follows. https://www.n2acards.com/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
There is a software option available to convert your Nook to use android. I used it myself and love it. You download onto an sd card, and can dual-boot after. Link to site follows. https://www.n2acards.com/
That's what I did with my Nook Color but found it was still too slow for doing most things except reading books. For the Nook Color the slowness problem was more of a hardware issue than software, it just wasn't made to be a full blown tablet. Maybe the HD+ is a better fit.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The Nook HD does run an Android system.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The Nook HD does run an Android system.
I'm not familiar with the HD+, the Nook Color also ran on an android based OS but it was so locked down that you were very limited in what you could do.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My guess would be an operating system upgrade made it slow.
As a policy, I never upgrade an OS beyond 1 major version. So if we bought a device that runs 7, I will upgrade to 8, maybe 8.1/8.2 but not to 9. Once did an OS upgrade after 2 versions and my iPad became unusable. Main disadvantage is new apps/upgrades are not available for old OS. I upgrade useful apps after upgrading OS and for a few months after that.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #18

The Nook hd+ version of Android is a modified 4.0 IIRC. I doubt there's been a system upgrade since the HD+ is obsolete at this point and barnes and Noble has instead gone with a modified Samsung product. I have a Nook HD+ that I've converted to dual boot using afncards.com products. They have KitKat 4.4 and it works pretty well. But I would first try a full reset of the existing Nook system. That really should get it back to its original snappiness.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
The Nook hd+ version of Android is a modified 4.0 IIRC. I doubt there's been a system upgrade since the HD+ is obsolete at this point and barnes and Noble has instead gone with a modified Samsung product. I have a Nook HD+ that I've converted to dual boot using afncards.com products. They have KitKat 4.4 and it works pretty well. But I would first try a full reset of the existing Nook system. That really should get it back to its original snappiness.
Yes, Ian wrote it much clearer than I did in my earlier post, when I meant to convey the the upgrade was to Android 4.4 on my nook HD+. He used a different vendor for the same end result. I have found that having kitkat has expanded the number of apps available, but it will never be blazing fast due to its hardware limitations. But for the short money I paid for it, it suits my needs for now.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. Did I mention that I'm a tech dummy? Do Kitkats melt in the sun?