Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Small Business Equity..."how to tap" for ER?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Small Business Equity..."how to tap" for ER?

We are contemplating ER at 61 using equity in our small tax businesses to fund ER until 67/66 at which time we are fully funded with SS and savings.

Should we insist on cash buyers only and if none come forward, simply hold out until one does?

From a tax and financial viewpoint, it would be beneficial to sell on a contract, but we are leary of "getting them back" in who knows what condition?

Maybe we just continue ownership and beef up staff so we don't have to work so hard? But "catch 22"... still managing people!

We have been self-employed for 28/20 years. No pensions. 1st Home and vehicles are paid for. 2nd home gets sold soon with proceeds to payoff mortgage and outstanding new RV loan leaving us totally debt free. We "half-time" in RV but never totally free spirits with 3 seasonal tax offices and 2nd home. We want to streamline our affairs sooner than later.

If we could cash out, even with a big tax hit, we have enough cash to fund 61-66 without any SS (plan is FRA) and no withdrawals until 67.

We are essentially planning to "blow" the equity in our businesses because we don't need the $ for FRA and have no legacy concerns.

Plan is to work for our buyers to aid a smooth transition.

These tax businesses are successful and provide a good income for seasonal work. (We work only 1 day a week from the RV during the "off season".)
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A friend has a tax/write-up/payroll business that he informally made know might be available for sale and he had multiple interested parties and negotiated a cash sale in less than a month.... so I hope you have as good luck as he did.

I would not installment sale as a bad owner can easily quickly destroy what you have spent many years building. Would any of your employees be capable and willing to buy it?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

I sold a cabin on a contract (installment payments) once...it was more than inconvenient when the payments came late. Will probably hold out for cash or just continue until we reach FRA at which point we won't be as dependent on the funds as we would be in an ER scenario as outlined in my original post.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote