Small Business Revenues and Profits

BabyApe said:
I am looking to start a small business in semi-retirement. 

Does anyone know of a good place on the web to find a list of average revenue and profitability of various small business.  For example, how much does the owner of the local deli make? The gas station? Book store coffee shop, etc.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mike
You probably already thought of these guys:
http://www.entrepreneur.com/
They have a wealth of info about smalll business.
Once you decide what type of biz you want you can most likely find a forum about it.  Most of the folks on these forums are quite helpful. Fact is, many business owners will sit down with you and give you the lowdown if you ask.  Of course if you are planning to open across the street you may get a different response.  If you are planning to purchase an established  franchise they will probably shoot straight with you.  It's the law and it is in their best interest.
I don't know if Uncle Sam still does it , but one of the agencies used to put out fact sheets on almost any business you could think of. Probably at the library if they still exist.

One offbeat way to get some good info is the IRS.
I don't remember the name of the publication, but it was a guide for auditors designed to teach them all the ins and outs of the business they were looking at so they could get around the BS many owners would throw at them.

Back
Top Bottom