Join Early Retirement Today

small truck -tires
Old 09-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

small truck -tires

I am looking to replace the tires on my Tacoma and was wondering what tires would be the best. No four wheel drive all roads and I live in Michigan. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks Runnerr

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just got some Yokohamas to replace the Goodyears - I like the ride.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Try tirerack.com and look at their tire ratings for your vehicle.

2soon
Old 09-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

best tires i ever owned were the bfg all terrain ta ko
Old 09-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
Try tirerack.com and look at their tire ratings for your vehicle.
2soon
Ditto
Keep in mind the total number of miles(millions) traveled on them to help aid in your determining what is good for your vehicle.
I am going today to have some Kumho's put on my car. Got some other Kumho's on my other car after researching at TireRack, and VERY pleased. And excellent price too.
I use TireRack to compare/get ratings (I only look at ratings in the 9s and 10s, seeing that I need them in sn*w of Ohio, like you will), figure out what I want, then call Discount Tire, spend a few dollars more(but no shipping) and have them put on for me.
-bob
Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like I am going with the Michelin Harmony. any comments
Old 09-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out Goodyear Fortera (not Futura)...just put them on my Explorer and they're much better than the Wranglers they gave me when Firestone recalled all those tires way back when. Quiet smooth ride, good reviews.

Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor
Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

On my 1992 Toyota 4WD Extended Cab pickup, I have had the following tires and corresponding mileage:

Bridgestone AT -- 79,200 miles (original tires)
Chapparal AT -- 100,700 miles
BF Goodrich Commercial AT -- 62,300 (so far but will likely go for 90,000+)

The last two sets each cost less than $400; got the last set at Sam's for $349.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerr View Post
Looks like I am going with the Michelin Harmony. any comments
Those look good according to TireRack. Probably a decent price as well. Like I said before, I have been pleased with the rankings that they have, and these Harmony's rank #3 and are all "in the green" category. Go for it! My new Kumho's (that were ranked #2 or #3) ride great on my car.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about truck tires, but put Kumhos on my car and they are great... highly rated by consumers reports and on the various sites.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tire Rack pros:
I never thought I would buy tires online, but I bought a set of Goodyear tires from TireRack....great price and availability....had them shipped to NTB for installation at a great price.....will definitely use TireRack again

Tire Rack cons:
Ratings? From what I could tell, the ratings on the website are consumer driven and I would put zero confidence in them. ANY brand new tire should feel wonderful compared to the worn tire that came off.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Tire Rack pros:
I never thought I would buy tires online, but I bought a set of Goodyear tires from TireRack....great price and availability....had them shipped to NTB for installation at a great price.....will definitely use TireRack again
I considered that, but was able to get a better deal (shipping costs sealed the deal) via Discount Tire, but I had the TireRack quote that Discount Tire was able to nearly match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Tire Rack cons:
Ratings? From what I could tell, the ratings on the website are consumer driven and I would put zero confidence in them. ANY brand new tire should feel wonderful compared to the worn tire that came off.
Definitely consumer-driven, and subject to numerous kinds of padding/etc. That's where I looked at the volume of miles that were included in the rankings to help aid in my decision. Agreed, that any new tire should perform better than the old one. You are always going to get both "These are the worst tires I ever bought" and "These are the best tires I ever bought", so much of that I just dismiss and look at the tendencies. (upper half vs. lower half). At least (to me) it is more useful information than the used car salesman tire salesman would give.