Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a Weber 2-burner Spirit and love it. I've been using it the last 4 years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually just drive down my street right after Father's day and pick up the first good looking one at the curb. Last one even came with a tank that was half filled!
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #23

Weber is the best in the average consumer market. If you don’t want to spend the money, search Craigslist. I found a couple of nice ones for my son in laws as a gift. The burners have a ten year warranty so get one less than ten years. All you need to do is clean them up, which can obviously be a little tough and messy but not complicated. Buy some new grates and then you’ll be good to go.

If small and portable is your goal, I second the Coleman. We have one for our tailgating and it works well.

Honestly though, I’d buy the best Webber I was willing to afford.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
I have a Weber 2-burner Spirit and love it. I've been using it the last 4 years.
I had a 2-burner Weber at one house and a 3-burner Weber at the other... if all you do is direct grilling the either is fine... if you do indirect grilling then the 3-burner is better IMO.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We also love our Weber grills. The main reason we're on our second one is that we wanted a bigger one -- one nice thing about Webers is that you can replace a lot of the individual parts if they become corroded or too charred to clean. But they have been very durable in our experience, we just aren't that diligent about maintenance and so have had to replace parts.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you want to spend a little more yet, I have one of these as well and also a fantastic all around griller/smoker https://greenmountaingrills.com/prod...et-grill-wifi/
compounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:19 AM   #27

Whatever grill you get, if you want to add smoke get one of these or one like it: https://www.amazon.com/Carpathen-Sta...-1-spons&psc=1
I buy my pellets from Rural King, they seem to have great prices.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Look at the Weber Q series. There are different sizes and an option stand is available, so they can be both fixed and portable.

Some sizes small enough to be considered a table top others have a cooking surface near full size.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

We were able to snag a nice Weber Genesis E310 in Craigslist. Thought Genesis vs the Spirit was a little better quality.

Agree with other comments - with Weber you get a quality grill that should last many years.

The 3 burner allows for indirect cooking that I use frequently with direct searing at the end resulting in moist chicken and rib dishes.

With Craigslist found a Weber at 1/3 the cost. I would say be patient and look for a good used buy of a fairly young model.

Good luck
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Whatever grill you get, if you want to add smoke get one of these or one like it: https://www.amazon.com/Carpathen-Sta...-1-spons&psc=1
I buy my pellets from Rural King, they seem to have great prices.

Now this looks like a winner!!! Weill have to buy one and see how it works..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco has the Nexgrill which is fairly decent for the price (about $140). Very easy to clean up and seems well made for a $140 propane grill.

https://www.costco.com/Nexgrill-Cast...100384628.html
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #32

We use this 2 burner propane Charbroil cheapie (<$100) almost daily.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-...ill/1000364741

The current one is 12 years old... if the model goes on sale this summer I'll get another one to replace it.

It would work fine for 4 people IF you are only cooking 1 dish (ex. hamburgers). If you want a cast iron pan in there too (ex. with sauteed onions/mushrooms) at the same time it will be a little tight.

I don't like the small Weber propane grills because the burners run the wrong way (front and back vs. left and right).

For small charcoal jobs I have this made in USA cast iron grill: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-L41...Grill/14550452
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

I don't like the small Weber propane grills because the burners run the wrong way (front and back vs. left and right).
On the BBQ forum, whether the burners run north to south (front to back) or east to west (left and right), is debated about as much as when to take SS is on this forum. Like SS, burner direction is an individual thing. Generally, north to south is better if you’re doing indirect grilling because to can heat from one side and put the food on the other. But of course the air flow of the grill doesn’t go side to side. It goes front to back. East to west burners are better for air flow, but the you have to reach over the hot burner to get to the food . . . . . . .

In the end, you can work with either but most have a preference.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
On the BBQ forum, whether the burners run north to south (front to back) or east to west (left and right), is debated about as much as when to take SS is on this forum. Like SS, burner direction is an individual thing. Generally, north to south is better if you’re doing indirect grilling because to can heat from one side and put the food on the other. But of course the air flow of the grill doesn’t go side to side. It goes front to back. East to west burners are better for air flow, but the you have to reach over the hot burner to get to the food . . . . . . .

In the end, you can work with either but most have a preference.
In my usage I usually have a cast iron skillet of veggies in there along with the meat being grilled. On a small rectangular grill, a skillet is going to cover both burners/one side of the grill if burners run full length side to side, which prevents running different temps on each side. Side-to-side burners running the long way just mean I could only cook long and narrow foods that fit above the burner if making 2 items at need different heat.

I don't think air flow matters at all the tiny grills... Even on my bigger 4 burner air flow doesn't matter as temps are pretty even throughout the chamber with only 1 burner lit on 1 side and I'm using the thing as a smoker/oven vs. direct grilling (burners are too deep/far away from the food to do anything but bake in that grill).
Even when I buy a dedicated smoker, its going to be a firebox on the side, not the front or back.

And as you mention, I'm done singeing the fur on my knuckles reaching across a front burner.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Do most people exchange the tanks or buy their own and get it refilled?

I notice that the tanks are expensive to buy, but I imagine that one gets it back on lower priced consumables (propane).

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #36

I get mine refilled. Where you swap it out, they don’t fill it all the way. They say it’s for safety, but I wasn’t born yesterday. I keep two tanks. One for my grill and one for my fire pit. We hardly use the fire pit, but with an extra tank, I can run my tank to empty and not worry. The places around here charge a flat rate to fill a tank so you don’t want to bring one in with remaining fuel.

Not sure what you consider expensive, but Tractor Supply and Menards has tanks for $30.

Watch this:

https://youtu.be/je0_4NgrhWA
Old 05-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I have a small Weber charcoal grill for when I want that smokey taste. But for most of my easy grilling I use a George Foreman grill. I always marinate chicken & burgers and it comes off tasting just as good as grilling on a propane or outdoor electric grill.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Taking all into account, I decided to go with the Nexgrill that Costco is selling. The price, size and the two burners were the main selling points. I was tempted to get a Weber, but the one's I liked were larger than I wanted. I appreciate all the advice and comments. They helped quite a bit.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I am enjoying my new table top BBQ. It's at least twice the grilling area of the old BBQ, has two burners and runs off the refillable propane containers. I have a 5# container and a 1# container for use when away from home. Very nice.

The only issue I have is how to properly clean the grills and the interior of the BBQ. Needless to say it get very greasy. Any tools or cleaners that people can recommend to ease the cleaning chore? Thanks.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The only issue I have is how to properly clean the grills and the interior of the BBQ. Needless to say it get very greasy. Any tools or cleaners that people can recommend to ease the cleaning chore? Thanks.
Like most cleaning chores, one of the best things to do is make sure you keep up on it. Prevention is also key. If you can line the drip pan with aluminum foil, then you just have to let it cool and remove it. I don't try to make my BBQ interior perfectly clean. The grates get a patina which is basically carbon and not any different than a seasoned cast iron pan. The walls I care even less about. I'll scrap it once in awhile, but no food touches and it doesn't accumulate anything that matters. The main thing I care about is the grease. I find a plastic scraper for that works well. And, lots of paper towels. I don't use chemicals but if I need a little help, I've found white vinegar can do some work on the grease. Then, with a basically clean grill, I will burn off that last film of grease that the scraper doesn't get. It's not enough to cause a grease fire, but it will burn so keep the lid closed and heat your BBQ to the max for 5-10 minutes.