Join Early Retirement Today

Smart Raccoon
Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Smart Raccoon

We have a squirrel-proof birdfeeder which works for keeping the squirrels out. This raccoon has figured it out and handily defeated it. The squirrels enjoy what he drops.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raccoon7.jpg (66.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg raccoon9.jpg (64.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg raccoonAndHummingbird2.jpg (64.0 KB, 2 views)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use a combination lock on my garbage cans. The raccoons are cunning, but they have no head for numbers.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhh...that is so cute! Raccoons, unlike many other creatures, are very proficient with their fingers paws...
Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I use a combination lock on my garbage cans. The raccoons are cunning, but they have no head for numbers.
Well, even Wahoo admits numbers is hard.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yep, 7 out of 6 times they is.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Last year we had raccoons get into our house .They drove us nuts . We could here them running in the walls at night . We ended up renting a cage and putting peanut butter on cat food to entice them . It worked and we released the two raccoons in a nearby wooded area . They gave us a final look and wandered off .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I had a problem with raccoons climbing the posts that support the patio cover and then reaching over to the bird feeder for the sunflower seeds.

Moved the feeder over to be out of reach.

A few days later, noticed a raccoon doing an upside down crawl along a horizontal beam to reach the feeder.

Started moving feeder in at night.

Happened to see raccoon crawling along beam in daylight, grabbing feeder, crawling backward, climbing down post, retreating into woods with feeder.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Last year we had raccoons get into our house .They drove us nuts . We could here them running in the walls at night . We ended up renting a cage and putting peanut butter on cat food to entice them . It worked and we released the two raccoons in a nearby wooded area . They gave us a final look and wandered off .
They'll be back.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
They'll be back.
OMG! Terminator raccoons?!

The only wild critter that ever got into my home was a squirrel. He came down the chimney, was covered in ashes, and bounced off every surface in the living room before exiting out the front door I had propped open. The cats still talk about it
Old 06-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
OMG! Terminator raccoons?!

The only wild critter that ever got into my home was a squirrel. He came down the chimney, was covered in ashes, and bounced off every surface in the living room before exiting out the front door I had propped open. The cats still talk about it
Have had raccoons, 'possums, squirrels, starlings, stray cats, and victims (birds chipmunks mice) in house. No longer have cat door. Where's that force field when I need it?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
They'll be back.

I hope not . We had to remove some wood so we could entice them out and at one point the one was in the cage and the other was calling to him . It was pitiful . I used to have a raccoon in New Jersey who would get into my garbage and I'd find ribs and a beer can on my deck .
Old 06-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are three kinds of people in this world: Those who can count and those who can't.

-------------

DD had a squirrel in her kitchen on Saturday morning. It clawed it's way through the screen. She said "I'd like to think I'm the kind of person who could deal with that, but I screamed, ran into my bedroom and called maintenance."
Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
DD had a squirrel in her kitchen on Saturday morning. It clawed it's way through the screen. She said "I'd like to think I'm the kind of person who could deal with that, but I screamed, ran into my bedroom and called maintenance."

I will fess I've never been able to deal with creatures especially mice . If I found one dead in my house when I was single I would get the fireplace prongs and transport it to outside with much moaning and groaning .
Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We've had a squirrel in our attic and even one in our plumbing system (caused the plumbing system to back up and had to be snaked out by the plumber, yuck), mice (or rats?) and nesting birds in the garage, a couple of snakes in the kitchen, and a beetle as big as a kitten... The exterminator guy told us that the environment around our house was ideal to attract all sorts of critters and that we should expect some encounters with wildlife.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Noone has called the racoons cute yet and hopefully will not. They are predatory cat killers. Neighbor found his older cat who liked to sleep on his deck chair at night dismembered and part of a local coon family diet.
Racoons need to stay far away from my yard and two cats.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

No one has called cats cute yet and hopefully will not. They are predatory bird, squirrel, and chipmunk killers.

We've had some raccoon visitors around our house and find them interesting. One night we awoke to find a mom racoon and six racoonlets on our back porch. They had knocked over a bird feeder loaded with sunflower seeds and everyone was enjoying a feast. Yes, they can be destructive when seeking food, but lots of animals are.

Tip: If you've got a spot in your yard that attracts nighttime visitors and you want to be alerted when they arrive, get one of these. Everything is powered by batteries, and when the critter (or late-returning progeny) activates the IR sensor, it will send a signal to the chime inside your house. Twenty bucks, and a good entertainment investment.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We have some local racoons that wiped out one of my ponds (plants and all the fish). How they can catch the smaller fish is beyond me but when I redo the set up I am going to change from a net cover to a wire cover. First it was the Herron cranes and then came the racoons. The dog will tree them but there really isn't much I can do with them after that....the neighborhood and shotguns don't go well together (county rules) and trapping and relocating is not technically allowed.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Something was getting into my bird feeder and making a mess, climbing the pole past the big funnel shaped sheet metal guard. One night the sensor light flicked on and I saw the momma raccoon boosting her babies up over the guard. They in turn would toss seed down to her.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote