Join Early Retirement Today

SmartMoney magazine ceases publication
Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Print media is shrinking again. There will be a digital version but no printed copy. I'm kind of sad. I like magazines to keep me off the web for at least some of the day.

I know when I pick up a copy of the Washington Post I see things that I didn't read online. Somehow my mind wanders before I finish a section of the paper. I read online more for the comments then the article.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also prefer dealing with dead trees.

Has anyone heard what SM is going to do for subscribers? I had just renewed.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Administrator

I don't subscribe to any printed magazines, because the ones I might want are so expensive.

We don't even have a daily dead tree newspaper in New Orleans any more. The Times-Picayune has shifted to just 3x per week, which has caused some dismay among local residents. They also gave out pink slips to most of their employees. IMO this is the beginning of the end for our newspaper.

Oh Brave New World.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #4

I haven't seen anything in financial magazines that comes near the quality of information that you see here and other sites like bogleheads. Plus you don't get the entertainment value of seeing posters have at it :-)
Old 08-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I also prefer dealing with dead trees.

Has anyone heard what SM is going to do for subscribers? I had just renewed.
On the last edition that got mailed out, they glued a postcard return offer on the front, you have until 9/30 to reply. You had a choice of:
1) WSJ weekend edition or
2) Barron's

If you already subscribed to either, they would extend your subscription length. If you don't reply, they will default you to Barron's. You can also call 800-444-4204.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #6

Ok. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I receive about a half dozen magizine each month for free. They are all financial indistry pubs and contain a bunch of ads, but I wonder how long they will be around due to the expense of publication. Some of the articles are quite good and I find myself tearing them out of the magazine before I donate them to the "free/used magazine" bin at the local library.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't subscribe to any printed magazines, because the ones I might want are so expensive.
Live a little. Up your SWR from 2% to 2.001%.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I am must the be kiss of death for magazines This is the third magazine in the last 15 or so years that I am quoted in that has gone out of business. One was an obscure engineering journal, another a financial publication that can't even remember and now Smartmoney.

I wonder if that NY Times reporter is still looking to interview single retirees how we plan for getting older. Killing the NY Times would be quite a coup.

Now all you data guys (like ERD50) please spare me any analysis.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am must the be kiss of death for magazines This is the third magazine in the last 15 or so years that I am quoted in that has gone out of business.
Wonder how this form has survived...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wonder how this form has survived...
Don't count your chickens. Actually I don't think I have ever killed off a forum, unless you count Compuserve or Prodigy dying.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
On the last edition that got mailed out, they glued a postcard return offer on the front, you have until 9/30 to reply. You had a choice of:
1) WSJ weekend edition or
2) Barron's

If you already subscribed to either, they would extend your subscription length. If you don't reply, they will default you to Barron's. You can also call 800-444-4204.
I seem to recall that you could also call for a refund as well. I think I will probably give the Barron's a try as I am already a WSJ subscriber.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #13

Just got the SM last issue with the tablet battery at 0%. Going to miss it. Been one of those weeks, we decided to cut back on the local newspaper since they raise the rate from $55 a quarter to $75. Then our favorite bakery got shut down. Oh well.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The word "oxymoronic" comes to mind...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
Just got the SM last issue with the tablet battery at 0%. Going to miss it. Been one of those weeks, we decided to cut back on the local newspaper since they raise the rate from $55 a quarter to $75. Then our favorite bakery got shut down. Oh well.
Got my last issue, too. No big deal, as I have 3 other mags I still get and probably don't get value from them either. But as far as newspaper goes, I would never tell them this, but they could double the cost of my daily newspaper and I would still purchase it. As far as enjoyment to cost ratio goes, it is still by far the most cheapest form of entertainment that I have.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My SM subscription was paid up for another 18 months.
I used to get Barron's and enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to getting another free 18 months of that as a replacement for SM.

The one that bugs me is the recent demise of the printed version of Wilson Quarterly. I had a lifetime subscription to it, which they won't honor. They said that was for the printed version, which no longer exists, so I'm just out of luck.

Fortunately, the digital WQ doesn't have a high subscription fee, so I'll keep reading it that way, on my iPad. Sure wouldn't like to be without it.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I had a lifetime subscription to it, which they won't honor. They said that was for the printed version, which no longer exists, so I'm just out of luck.
I can see that our lifetime subscriptions to the U.S. Naval Institute PROCEEDINGS and our alumni magazine are going to go that way.

The alumni magazine prints the class columns in two different fonts... a smaller font for the classes of about 1980-2012, and a bigger font for the classes before 1980.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #18

I went with WJ Weekend as my replacement subscription. I've never read the weekend edition, so we'll see what it's like.