Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Interesting. Accuracy of both the Garmin and the Apple seem to be excellent when calibrated against other devices like our bike computers.
The Vivofit does not have GPS. If u you compare a down hill walk against the up hilll return you will get different numbers.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The Vivofit does not have GPS. If u you compare a down hill walk against the up hilll return you will get different numbers.
? I didn’t say anything about this model.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmm, really like my Moto G6, but my Internet research is not turning up any compatible smart watches. I have only had the phone for six months. My frugal nature is not going to let me replace it at this time. I appreciate hearing that Versa works with the Samsung Galaxy S7.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:45 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I like my Garmin 235. Its going on 4 years old and just keeps on working. It has GPS - I use it for hiking, biking and running. And I monitor activities through Garmin Connect. Logs steps and shows current and resting heart rate. Shows incoming call and text info on the watch face (if I have my phone with me)
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

OP - have you contacted Fitbit about the problem ?
Is the Fitbit app up to date on the Moto G6 ?
rpguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #26

Yes, I have contacted Fitbit about the problem and my app is up to date. After multiple contacts the answer that I get from Fitbit is that my phone is not compatible. The most recent Moto G series phone that is compatible is from 2014!
Old 06-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Love my Apple Watch for so many reasons including extensive fitness and heart rate tracking.

Extremely handy just for day to day stuff.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Smartwatch recommendation wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Yes, I have contacted Fitbit about the problem and my app is up to date. After multiple contacts the answer that I get from Fitbit is that my phone is not compatible. The most recent Moto G series phone that is compatible is from 2014!

Drag. Sounds like you’re in between a rock and a hard place. If the Moto is there to stay for the foreseeable future then it seems that the Versa (Fitbit) has to go.

[ADDED] If it were me, I’d think first about a Garmin but make sure of compatibility and that it could be returned if found otherwise. I’m less concerned about call/text notifications (although they work, I’ve shut them off).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hmm, really like my Moto G6, but my Internet research is not turning up any compatible smart watches. I have only had the phone for six months. My frugal nature is not going to let me replace it at this time. I appreciate hearing that Versa works with the Samsung Galaxy S7.

Most of the Garmin and Samsung smart watches should be compatible with the Moto G6, they work with my Moto G5 Plus. I believe most of the Samsung watches require a phone with Android 5 or above and minimum 1.5G of RAM, Garmin has similar requirements.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #30

Yep, it is a drag. If I didn’t want the text and call notifications, the Versa would be fine. I think my solution going forward will need to be a Samsung/Samsung or Apple/Apple combo. Both my Moto and my Versa are good products, they just aren’t good together.

I will want my next Smartwatch to include contactless pay. I really think that is the future. When we were in Europe, one city bus that we took would take credit cards but only if it had contactless capability. Fortunately, our Costco Visa worked just fine in that situation.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Love my Apple Watch for so many reasons including extensive fitness and heart rate tracking.

I use its mini flashlight--bright enough to guide me up stairs at night--and find-my-phone almost every day
Old 06-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, it is a drag. If I didn’t want the text and call notifications, the Versa would be fine. I think my solution going forward will need to be a Samsung/Samsung or Apple/Apple combo. Both my Moto and my Versa are good products, they just aren’t good together.

I will want my next Smartwatch to include contactless pay. I really think that is the future. When we were in Europe, one city bus that we took would take credit cards but only if it had contactless capability. Fortunately, our Costco Visa worked just fine in that situation.
I hope you find some combination that works for you. Little things can grow more annoying over time. Funny: I've lately been thinking of reverting back to a basic cell phone setup, where the phone's primary function is to place and receive phone calls. Jury's out on that.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I hope you find some combination that works for you. Little things can grow more annoying over time. Funny: I've lately been thinking of reverting back to a basic cell phone setup, where the phone's primary function is to place and receive phone calls. Jury's out on that.

Steelyman, you sound like my DH. He has a VERY basic flip phone and is quick to say that it is more phone than he wants. [emoji3]

I looked at Samsung smart watches today. Liked the Samsung Galaxy Active because it is smaller and less bulky than their other smart watches. However, I went home and looked up the compatibility with my G6 and it wasn’t listed as compatible. It may come down to the issue is my phone. Zinger, I see you have had good luck with your G5 and that is listed as compatible. Hey, the G4 is compatible with a Versa.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I know this isn’t a tech forum and I asked a tech question, but I am always impressed by the quality of responses to questions on a wide variety of topics.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Steelyman, you sound like my DH. He has a VERY basic flip phone and is quick to say that it is more phone than he wants. [emoji3]
Ha! Does he play steel guitar too?

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I know this isn’t a tech forum and I asked a tech question, but I am always impressed by the quality of responses to questions on a wide variety of topics.

Thank you for posting it. It revived my urge to see what alternatives are available and think about what I really want from mobile devices. It’s not as simple as it may seem once you consider different use cases and scenarios. And, as you highlight, compatibility concerns.

There are tons of techies here.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #35
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:

I looked at Samsung smart watches today. Liked the Samsung Galaxy Active because it is smaller and less bulky than their other smart watches. However, I went home and looked up the compatibility with my G6 and it wasn’t listed as compatible. It may come down to the issue is my phone. Zinger, I see you have had good luck with your G5 and that is listed as compatible. Hey, the G4 is compatible with a Versa.

I have the Versa too but an Apple phone. I also have issues getting text messages, it’s hit or miss except it never delivers my DH texts -lol. I’ve called and they can’t seem to fix it or decided what the issue is. Said it’s a problem they have been working on but the watch has been out since 2018. I’m thinking of getting the Apple Watch but didn’t want to spend the money and have been with FitBit for a while- this is my 3-4 th upgrade.
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #36

Quote:

Not sure what you're looking at. Did you read somewhere that stated your Moto G6 wouldn't work with the Samsung Galaxy Active? The Samsung compatible list is not meant to be all inclusive, it's not practical for them to test every Android phone out there. If your phone meets the minimum requirements of the Samsung Galaxy Active (Android 5 and above, >1.5G Ram) then your phone should work and I'm sure your Moto G6 meets those requirements. My Moto G5 Plus worked fine with the Samsung Gear S3 but it isn't listed on the compatible list. I decided not to keep the S3 because of other non-phone issues.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

A friend let my try his apple watch and as expected it does not read my heart rate accurately at all. I've given up on them.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
A friend let my try his apple watch and as expected it does not read my heart rate accurately at all. I've given up on them.

That was one of the main reasons I got rid of my Samsung Gear S3, the heart rate monitor was useless when doing any activity with movement like jogging. Every 30 seconds it would send me a message over my bluetooth headphones to slow down because my heart rate was too high, frequently it would incorrectly show over 200 bpm. My Garmin heart rate monitor is 10X better than the Samsung and also offers the ability to pair it with a chest strap if desired.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Works great for me. I have used along with a chest heart monitor at times and it tracks very well.

I can see my heart rate graph for every workout, plus my recovery rate. It gives me daily resting rates. Extremely comprehensive and I really like that.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A phone app to count steps will not work for me. I don’t have my phone with me at all times. One of the reasons that I want text and call notifications to work consistently is that often the phone is in one room and I am in another.
I bought a cheap pocket pedometer that counts my steps. It's amazingly accurate.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote