Smith's testimony on Toyota acceleration glitch

Until it actually happens to you, no one can predict what you will do or say in a life threatening situation - well, almost. The vast majority of the final words on the cockpit recorder just prior to impact are "Oh sh!t!".

OMG! Is there a chance I might suffer a hair raising accident and to get insult added to my injury by people saying I am an idiot, whether or not I survive such an ordeal?

Until it actually happens to you, no one can predict what you will do or say in a life threatening situation - well, almost. The vast majority of the final words on the cockpit recorder just prior to impact are "Oh sh!t!".

Exactly. Why are the kool-aid drinkers so willing to give Toyota a pass and blame the driver? :confused: Obviously there are mechanical problems or they wouldn't be RECALLING 8 MILLION VEHICLES. Sheesh.

Oh, and about the interviews... I noticed the president of Toyota N. America using the old sympathy routine as well. Apparently his brother was killed in a auto accident years ago and "not a day goes by that he doesn't think of it." Both sides are pulling out all stops IMO.

my earlier post i said it was operator error and i was attacked here.

Maybe I am naive, but I tended to believe her. If I had a voice activated cell system and thought I was probably going to die, I would try to call my DH to let him know exactly what was happening and to hear his voice again and to tell him that I loved him one last time.

Wasn't there a police officer and his family involved in a crash with a Toyota? I would think that a police officer would be pretty near the top of the list of people knowing how to control vehicles and avoid crashes. I can't remember if anyone died in that accident. They did call 911, but I think that it was his DW that called and she was not driving.

If this is all the driver's fault, why are there millions of cars being recalled? Why is Toyota's stock going down and why are they being asked to testify before Congress. Why are they testifying that the fixes they have already done to cars, might not take care of the problem?

I personally would like it if it were just driver error. I don't own a Toyota, but I am on the road with lots of Toyotas and hate to think I might be in the path of one with this problem.

Most new transmissions, regardless of type of knob, lever or push-button are electrically shifted via solenoids under the control of one or more computers. The programming will not allow certain modes unless particular speed conditions are met, regardless where you put the lever.

Unless you truly have a fully mechanically controlled transmission. I recently discovered this by looking at some 1994 Jaguar control schemes.

On my 1999 Suburban the shifting of the tranny (4L80E) is computer controlled.

Good information, Is99. I haven't had an automatic tranny since I sold my 73 Ford F250 with the C6 trans, so I have no knowledge. Even then, I never tried anything more iffy than low speed "rocking" to get out of snow or mud. I find it very easy to believe that the trans designers made downshifts that would cause over-speeding of the engine and shifts into reverse impossible. After all, under normal circumstances these are negative events.

Ha

Here's the Audi thing that Nodak mentioned. Very similar to today's events (from here):

Reported sudden unintended acceleration

Audi's U.S. sales fell after a series of recalls from 1982-1987 of Audi 5000 models[13] associated with reported incidents of sudden unintended acceleration linked to six deaths and 700 accidents.[13] At the time, NHTSA was investigating 50 car models from 20 manufacturers for sudden surges of power.[14]
A 60 Minutes report aired November 23, 1986,[15] featuring interviews with six people who had sued Audi after reporting unintended acceleration, showing an Audi 5000 ostensibly suffering a problem when the brake pedal was pushed.[16][17] Subsequent investigation revealed that 60 Minutes had engineered the failure — fitting a canister of compressed air on the passenger-side floor, linked via a hose to a hole drilled into the transmission.[15]
Audi contended, prior to findings by outside investigators,[14] that the problems were caused by driver error, specifically pedal misapplication.[14] Subsequently, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concluded that the majority of unintended acceleration cases, including all the ones that prompted the 60 Minutes report, were caused by driver error such as confusion of pedals.[18] CBS did not acknowledge the test results of involved government agencies, but did acknowledge the similar results of another study.[19]
With the series of recall campaigns, Audi made several modifications; the first adjusted the distance between the brake and accelerator pedal on automatic-transmission models.[13] Later repairs, of 250,000 cars dating back to 1978, added a device requiring the driver to press the brake pedal before shifting out of park.[13] A legacy of the Audi 5000 and other reported cased of sudden unintended acceleration are intricate gear stick patterns and brake interlock mechanisms to prevent inadvertent shifting into forward or reverse.
Audi’s U.S. sales, which had reached 74,061 in 1985, dropped to 12,283 in 1991 and remained level for three years.[13] — with resale values falling dramatically.[20] Audi subsequently offered increased warranty protection [20] and renamed the affected models — with the 5000 becoming the 100 and 200 in 1989[14] — and only reached the same sales levels again by model year 2000.[13]
A 2010 Business Week article — outlining possible parallels between Audi's experience and 2009–10 Toyota vehicle recalls — noted a class-action lawsuit filed in 1987 by about 7,500 Audi Audi 5000-model owners remains unsettled and is currently being contested in county court in Chicago after appeals at the Illinois state and U.S. federal levels.[13]

I personally would like it if it were just driver error. I don't own a Toyota, but I am on the road with lots of Toyotas and hate to think I might be in the path of one with this problem.

^^ Yeah. That. :D

I don't know about Toyotas, but on my Escape hybrid you can put it into reverse at any speed and it will not engage until you stop, as it is computer over ridden. It would be logical to me to have this function in other electronically operated transmissions to prevent accidents or damage to the transmission.
Yeah - thank goodness for the interlock! I remember pressing "R" accidentally when trying to downshift using the motorhome's transmission keypad. The problem is that my transmission control is on the left out of my line of sight unless I take my eyes off the road. So I have to use it by "feel". Normally this keypad is not even touched other than to switch into drive - but occasionally you have to "assist" the automatic transmission.

Audrey

Koan- can we all know it all, even when we seem to "know" conflicting things?

Ha

Actually, I can. I pulled out to pass a truck in DW's 65 Ford, floored it and held it there. When I pulled back in and let off the gas it stayed at full throttle. I stuck my toe under the accelerator pedal and lifted it. No change. I turned the key off and drifted to the side of the road.

After all the appropriate 4-letter words, I opened the hood, yanked the linkage into place and drove it for the next 3 years. I didn't even sue Ford. Silly me.

Actually, I can. I pulled out to pass a truck in DW's 65 Ford, floored it and held it there. When I pulled back in and let off the gas it stayed at full throttle. I stuck my toe under the accelerator pedal and lifted it. No change. I turned the key off and drifted to the side of the road.

After all the appropriate 4-letter words, I opened the hood, yanked the linkage into place and drove it for the next 3 years. I didn't even sue Ford. Silly me.

Same thing happened to me on my 97 Ford F-150...in rush-hour traffic. I had romped down hard on the accelerator to pass a car that was driving 20mph under the limit in the center lane, and the pedal got jammed down (over center on the linkage or under the floor mat? ) Stuck at full throttle...after throwing the transission into neutral and coasting to a stop I was able to dislodge the stuck accerator pedal with my toe..probably because of the lubrication applied when I peed down both pant legs. I didn't sue Ford, either. I figured it was my fault for ramming the gas pedal and floormat together against the firewall in less than 50 miiliseconds... It was a mechanical issue, and hasn't happened again in the 13 years I have owned this truck.

Toyota has a whole 'nother set of problems with their electronic systems- (real and imagined)-including the Congressional witchhunt. The gas pedal mechanical issues were a simple fix; they reacted quickly and that problem seems to be in the rear view mirror.

Back
Top Bottom