Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What are/were your habits?
Never smoked pot 36 27.69%
Tried it once or twice, that's all 17 13.08%
Used it on occasion, more than a couple of times. Don't use it any more 22 16.92%
Used it quite a lot in the past, but not any more 32 24.62%
Still smoke it on occasion 14 10.77%
Still smoke it a lot. 5 3.85%
BUT I NEVER INHALED. . . 4 3.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Smoking marijuana
Old 02-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Smoking marijuana

: Inspired by another thread. . .

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Smoking marijuana
Old 02-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

How about I just say I never inhaled?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
How about I just say I never inhaled?
Now you can.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I smoked pot from about 18 to 25 years old. Would be smoking it right now if it were legal.

Ate a lot of strange food combinations, had a lot of profound thoughts and mostly just got laid.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #5

OAP

You da man!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
I smoked pot from about 18 to 25 years old. Would be smoking it right now if it were legal.

Ate a lot of strange food combinations, had a lot of profound thoughts and mostly just got laid.
Similar pattern for me.
I definitely would be INHALING IT occasionally as I drink occasonally, if this world was a lot saner about it. I never thought that it was harmful, and certainly no more so than legal booze.

MJ
Old 02-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I had to debate between "used to use on occasion" and "use to use frequently" it all depends on what you mean by frequently. College = party = drink & smoke bud. I never had a supplier or regular access, but it wasn't like I was trying to cut down. I chose occasional. Haven't smoked in, oh, six years? Seven? Employers tend to frown on that and I thought it was time to grow up anyway...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #8

I was burnt to a crisp two semesters and a summer. I was trying to support the local growers.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Voted No to all use. *Working in the drug industry.....no, the legal one....random drug testing is fairly common and one positive test is grounds for immediate termination. *

Current employer is not doing random tests but being in the wrong place at the wrong time could get you arrested and that would end the job pretty fast. *Not worth it. *Besides, my brain is stress-fired anyway and all I need is something else to make me forget where I put my car keys. *
Old 02-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #10

Wow. 17% of the ER forum is completely drug free. The other 83% of the forum members are/were drug (ab)users. Make sure the general public and your kids never find out this statistic! In spite of drug use, most of the forum members have been very successful in life by most measures.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
I was burnt to a crisp two semesters and a summer.* I was trying to support the local growers.
My man. Once we ER, we're gonna have to get together and roll a fatty!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I already told my 17 year old son that mom and dad were stupid when they were young. "We did it so that you don't have to." Not that I think he would buy that argument. In fact, I think if he were going to try reefer, he is already doing it. And I don't see any sign of it (believe me, I know what to look for.)

I haven't used marinjuana in decades. I really disliked it for some reason--it made me super paranoid, for one thing. And stupid. That said, I would love it if it were legalized. I would rather take a couple bong hits for migraine pain than any legal drug.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #13

I was a child of the wild and wooly seventies, so I've done my fair share of pot. Hey, anyone remember the awesome Thai stick from the seventies? Kona, Colombian gold...I'm getting contact high just thinking about it. 8)

BTW - Anyone remember the pot magazine, High Times? (lol)
Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Cube rat , Borders carries High Times.
cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #15

cube_rat,
I remember Thai sticks oh so well. *One night I was driving my van at 40 mph in a 35 zone and pass a cop. *I asked my buddy, "Was I speeding?", he said no but take it out of 1st gear. *No joke, I was so stoned I'd forgotten to shift the gears.

When I got a job requiring CIA clearances, I added 4 pages of drug info to my application *
Old 02-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #16

Oooh the late 60's early 70's were full of pot and hash, if I tried to smoke it now I'd probably choke to death. Made me paranoid too! Never went further than that although I had friends that moved up the drug chain.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Martha...I had already planned the poll but you beat me to the punch.

So i'm 25, had a couple of drinks with the insurance adjuster I met earlier that day and she suggests we go back to my place. I'm setting the land speed record on the mass turnpike when a state trooper zips in behind me and flips on the lights.

Dang, I think...I'm not too tipsy but better have some gum. Pull some out of the center console. Which as it turns out constitutes a "furitive movement" in the troopers eyes, which gives him the right to search the area of the movement.

Then he pulls out a little black camera film case. I'm thinking "no biggie, that one has my vitamins in it". Then another "Oh yeah, that one has aspirin in it". And then a third. Uh oh. Whats in that one? He comes back to where i'm standing, opens it, and there are the two roaches from the beach trip I took with my buddy wally the year before, and tossed in the empty film case because I didnt want to leave them in the ash tray.

So he hauls me off to the station. Sits me in an interrogation room. I'm totally playing the "I've never been in trouble before, what do I do officer?" routine to the hilt. He actually leaves me in the room, one hand handcuffed to a ring on the wall...and the film case (aka "the evidence") about 3" within my reach. So after 1.2ms of thought, I grabbed it, popped off the top, tipped it up and started gulping. Gave it a nice thorough lick. Put the top back on and put it back on the table.

"What did you do with what was in the film case?"

"What film case?"

Would be nice if that was the end of the story. I had called the very same wally to come down and bail me out. The girl I was with shows up out of the blue at the same time. Turns out they know each other. Real well. And very much hate each others guts. Big screaming match. Wally ends up in the next cell over from me because he failed to cease yelling when ordered to. Girl leaves.

About 20 minutes later the pot I swallowed kicks in. Poor wally had to sit there bored while I took a nap until a third friend shows up to bail us out.

All of which turns out to be a good thing. Possession of any amount in MA at the time was a felony (probably still is), and I was holding a top secret and nuclear Q clearance at the time and doing contract work with the air force. I'm guessing a conviction on that wouldnt have put me in jail, but it would have ended my job pretty quick.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:58 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I knew you were cool, cuberat! *

O.K., so 82% of respondents have at least tried it, what does that tell you?

Who still smokes it all the time? *I want to know so I can read your posts again and search for deeper meaning....

EDIT: CFB, while you were holding clearance? You so crazy, where is the squirrel with big nuts picture when you need it?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:04 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I was a little bit stupid back then.

You mean THIS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg squirrel_beer.jpg (16.9 KB, 167 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb squirrel_beer.jpg_thumb (42.0 KB, 0 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:14 PM   #20

If I did pot now, it would have to be some method other than smoking. Maybe a one-hit bong but I can't see myself smoking a joint.

Anyone got a suggestion?
1. Brownies
2. THC
3. Suppository