Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah I have to say I read that as a kid and I wondered about it.

I specifically recall diagrams to complete an "X" cut out of the fang marks and then sucking the venom through the X cuts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I recall reading about how you have to suck the venom out to help the victim.

What is the anti venom availability and cost?

Presumably pretty common in the West?

Some other types of snake anti-venoms are suppose to be really expensive because it's difficult to produce.
Neighbor who got bit on the hand in his courtyard said ER really wanted to see a photo of the snake to verify pit viper as it cost $45,000 to mix up a batch of anti-venom. He was covered by Medicare plus retired Federal employee.

We carry the Sawyer Extractor kit. Only used it for insect stings though. http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Extract...yer+snake+bite

Old 05-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #43

Yikes!

I thought it was only exotic snakes in developing countries which had such expensive anti-venom.

Well that dampens my enthusiasm for hiking in the wild even more.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #44

Good to see that the lady came through the snakebite ok. Sorry for the dog though. I've had several rattler encounters in Arizona. The craziest was a 4-5 footer sitting in my driveway when I took the garbage out. I never provoke them - the tv news said that most rattlesnake bites happen to 16-25 year old males. Probably due to provocation.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

My horse got bit by a rattlesnake while I was riding him in 2012. He spent a week at the vet clinic. It was a very scary situation. My friend rode at breakneck speed back to the trailer while I had to lead my horse out of the woods. I didn't have enough cell signal to make a phone call but was able to text my husband who in turn called my vet. Hubby relayed instructions to me which saved much time and possibly my horse.

Took the horse a good year to fully recover. He experienced cardiac issues right after the bite and wasn't quite right for at least a year.

My friend is a photo journalist who documented the treatment at the vet clinic. She also wrote an article that appeared in Arabian Horse World magazine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RattlesnakeRide7_2_2012_0061.jpg (817.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Wow! So what was your vet bil that year?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

OMG...snakes are the creepiest of all the animals. Thanks god the young lady survived!
Old 05-02-2016, 02:12 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Northern California, and I've come across 2 rattlesnakes in my backyard and one rattlesnake in the front yard of a different house. Even though 2 of them were coiled up because we were trying to capture/kill them, not one of the 3 gave any warning rattle. I'm beginning to think this may be an evolutionary change--the ones that rattle get killed, and the ones that are silent are able to bite and slip away.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
I live in Northern California, and I've come across 2 rattlesnakes in my backyard and one rattlesnake in the front yard of a different house. Even though 2 of them were coiled up because we were trying to capture/kill them, not one of the 3 gave any warning rattle. I'm beginning to think this may be an evolutionary change--the ones that rattle get killed, and the ones that are silent are able to bite and slip away.
After about 10 encounters in Arizona, I have yet to have one rattle at me. All encounters were 5-10' away from the snake. I read somewhere that they are changing their habits by not rattling.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:18 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I read somewhere that they are changing their habits by not rattling.
+1 Many of them are now texting...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1 Many of them are now texting...
Yup, they 'serpently' are.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #52

Here is the one 2' from my garage door. Scared the hell out of me. I thought it was dead. I brought the garbage can to the curb and came back a minute later - it was turned with its head facing me. I didn't get that photo - I panicked and left in the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 7.24.20 AM.jpg (678.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

That's very distressing! Poor dog! I'd rather have a Snakebite (drink) at the local pub. Half Guinness Stout and half Angry Orchard cider.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

My vet bill was just shy of $1000. I thought that quite reasonable for a weeks stay at the resort.

I forgot to mention in my post that I'm glad the lady in the picture survived but sorry that the dog didn't.'

I have since come across a rattler sunning itself on the road in front of my house. That snake is no longer with us. I live in the middle of the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois. There is a road here that they close every spring and fall for the reptilian (mainly snake) migration.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickt View Post
OMG...snakes are the creepiest of all the animals. Thanks god the young lady survived!
Not even close! Take a parasitology class and you'll start seeing snakes as sweet, cuddly critters.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
After about 10 encounters in Arizona, I have yet to have one rattle at me. All encounters were 5-10' away from the snake. I read somewhere that they are changing their habits by not rattling.
Humans have done a good job of getting rid of the ones that rattle in warning.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

They do taste great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Less filling.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple of years ago my daughter said there's a snake in her bedroom. "Really?" I said, and went to look. It turned out a live coral snake was under her bed. That's the stuff of nightmares. What if she had stepped on it during the night? How did it get into the house? Coral snakes are one of the deadliest, though few people are bit, due to the small mouth. So I captured it and put it in a bucket, and left it on the back porch. I wasn't exactly sure what to do with it. The next morning I found something came during the night and ate it, leaving just the head.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I've seen various versions of this story going back to 4/17. Same photo involved.
From a south Tx farmer on Ag forum:
He was with his wife, daughter, and dog posing for family pictures on their ranch. They were standing close to a large prickly pear cactus. A rattlesnake came out and was about to strike the woman, and so the dog lunged to protect her. The dog was then bitten. In the process of the man grabbing his dog to pull it back, the snake struck him as well.

The dog died over night. Right now the man is in the ICU unit at a San Antonio hospital. He's facing the possibility of losing a leg.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote