Snakebite!

Here is the one 2' from my garage door. Scared the hell out of me. I thought it was dead. I brought the garbage can to the curb and came back a minute later - it was turned with its head facing me. I didn't get that photo - I panicked and left in the car.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 7.24.20 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 7.24.20 AM.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 38
That's very distressing! Poor dog! I'd rather have a Snakebite (drink) at the local pub. Half Guinness Stout and half Angry Orchard cider.

My vet bill was just shy of $1000. I thought that quite reasonable for a weeks stay at the resort.

I forgot to mention in my post that I'm glad the lady in the picture survived but sorry that the dog didn't.'

I have since come across a rattler sunning itself on the road in front of my house. That snake is no longer with us. :) I live in the middle of the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois. There is a road here that they close every spring and fall for the reptilian (mainly snake) migration.

OMG...snakes are the creepiest of all the animals. Thanks god the young lady survived!

Not even close! Take a parasitology class and you'll start seeing snakes as sweet, cuddly critters.

13651.jpg

After about 10 encounters in Arizona, I have yet to have one rattle at me. All encounters were 5-10' away from the snake. I read somewhere that they are changing their habits by not rattling.

Humans have done a good job of getting rid of the ones that rattle in warning.

They do taste great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

A couple of years ago my daughter said there's a snake in her bedroom. "Really?" I said, and went to look. It turned out a live coral snake was under her bed. That's the stuff of nightmares. What if she had stepped on it during the night? How did it get into the house? Coral snakes are one of the deadliest, though few people are bit, due to the small mouth. So I captured it and put it in a bucket, and left it on the back porch. I wasn't exactly sure what to do with it. The next morning I found something came during the night and ate it, leaving just the head.

img_1726081_0_108df5f835370bdd86c13c1c418e0cf6.html

I've seen various versions of this story going back to 4/17. Same photo involved.
From a south Tx farmer on Ag forum:
He was with his wife, daughter, and dog posing for family pictures on their ranch. They were standing close to a large prickly pear cactus. A rattlesnake came out and was about to strike the woman, and so the dog lunged to protect her. The dog was then bitten. In the process of the man grabbing his dog to pull it back, the snake struck him as well.

The dog died over night. Right now the man is in the ICU unit at a San Antonio hospital. He's facing the possibility of losing a leg.

After about 10 encounters in Arizona, I have yet to have one rattle at me. All encounters were 5-10' away from the snake. I read somewhere that they are changing their habits by not rattling.

The one in the photo rattled at me. I was within 6 inches of it, it could have struck me. Photo taken in Garden of the Gods in Colorado.

Attachments

• rattlesnake_CO.jpg
    rattlesnake_CO.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 31
I was walking my dog the other day when we stumbled upon a snakeskin. My lab jumped straight up like he had been shot. No snake around just the skin. He takes after his dad.....I'm not a fan of snakes either.

My understanding is that the bites from the young rattlesnakes are often much worse than the adults, they have a higher concentration of the toxin that affects the nervous system. Also, adult rattlesnakes will often give a dry (no venom) bite, young rattlesnakes rarely do.

Same as I was going to say. My dog got bit outside my yard, and likely form a young snake. Fortunately we were right at home and took her to vet immediately. Basically three IV fluids: water to flush her system, antibiotic and steroid. Her face and neck swelled up like double normal size. Best I can describe was kind of like the elephant man. Amazing how the toxin caused such a reaction. Overnight stay at vet and then several low-key days at home, could tell dog did not feel good at all. She is fine now, but still has two spots on side of her cheek where the bite was that left scar with no hair growing.

All of my dogs now get the rattlesnake vaccine, although you still need to take them to vet if bitten. My understanding is that it helps minimize the reaction, but does not eliminate need for medical care.

So glad we moved back to Canada....too cold up here for nasty reptiles and bugs (most of them anyway)!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I got a close in photo of a baby rattler several years ago. Fortunately, it was on the other side of a window. Unfortunately, it was on the INSIDE of my workplace. (I was outside the building.)

img_1726314_0_664b2683dd6b56de82c7fb2819929dbd.jpg

We've run into several rattlers while offroading or hiking in the desert. The last one was at the Mojave desert we were walking along a established path on the trail and saw a baby rattler go from the right hand side of the trail to the left at a brisk pace and then coiled up literally 4 feet from us and probably closer to our dog (who was startled and curious and unsure all at the same time). That was the closest I've come to one.

My horse got bit by a rattlesnake while I was riding him in 2012. He spent a week at the vet clinic. It was a very scary situation. My friend rode at breakneck speed back to the trailer while I had to lead my horse out of the woods. I didn't have enough cell signal to make a phone call but was able to text my husband who in turn called my vet. Hubby relayed instructions to me which saved much time and possibly my horse.

Took the horse a good year to fully recover. He experienced cardiac issues right after the bite and wasn't quite right for at least a year.

My friend is a photo journalist who documented the treatment at the vet clinic. She also wrote an article that appeared in Arabian Horse World magazine.

That's interesting because I thought anti-venom is created by injecting horses with the venom (but I'm sure in smaller quantities) to create the anti-bodies and then harvesting them since supposedly horses are immune to most snake bites.

Last edited:
I've seen various versions of this story going back to 4/17. Same photo involved.
From a south Tx farmer on Ag forum:
He was with his wife, daughter, and dog posing for family pictures on their ranch. They were standing close to a large prickly pear cactus. A rattlesnake came out and was about to strike the woman, and so the dog lunged to protect her. The dog was then bitten. In the process of the man grabbing his dog to pull it back, the snake struck him as well.

The dog died over night. Right now the man is in the ICU unit at a San Antonio hospital. He's facing the possibility of losing a leg.

I was wondering about this too but then I saw 'friend of a friend' so I dismissed that thought :)

I guess similar to the pictures where a mule supposedly killed a mountain lion.

I got a close in photo of a baby rattler several years ago. Fortunately, it was on the other side of a window. Unfortunately, it was on the INSIDE of my workplace. (I was outside the building.)

img_1726326_0_664b2683dd6b56de82c7fb2819929dbd.jpg

Supposedly, the baby rattlers are the worst. I heard that they let all of their venom go in a single bite rather than save some like the older rattlers.

Horrible (shudders and looks over shoulder).

My vet keeps pushing rattlesnake immunizations for the dogs... anyone know much about these?

Horrible (shudders and looks over shoulder).

My vet keeps pushing rattlesnake immunizations for the dogs... anyone know much about these?

I was wondering the same thing. I've read that the shot works for copperheads as well. I'm going to write Dr Jean Dodds who is considered to be one of the worlds experts on vaccines and immunizations for dogs.
Will let you know what she says.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

img_1726349_0_664b2683dd6b56de82c7fb2819929dbd.jpg

Wow! So who brought the pet rattlesnake to w*rk?

A friend of mine sent me this video of a drone filming a den of rattlesnakes. Interesting video and wanted to share.

Back
Top Bottom