Snakebite!

Horse people here keep tubing to insert in the horses nostrils if bittern on the nose because it is the swelling that kills horses. I guess they can´t breathe through there mouths. I have literally hundreds of rattlesnake stories. In the 10 years I have lived here on average we have 30 (25-35) a year, so at least 250+.:facepalm:

I'm terribly scared of snakes. My daughter and grandchildren live on a ranch in West Texas, where rattlesnakes are a common occurrence. There was one on their porch last summer and we had to call someone to come kill it. It was so scary. I've tried to attach a photo. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1462395123.038364.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The Asp Viper you can encounter on a woodland walk here in southern Switzerland, yes, Switzerland!

-BB

Attachments

• image-541339666.jpg
    image-541339666.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 18
Snakes are one good reason to hike in cool weather...
Even better, they are a good reason for a gym membership! I can walk on the indoor track at my gym in comfortable temperatures any time I want, with no worries about snakes (or sudden storms, or being mugged or hit by a car). OK, it's not the same as hiking outside, but I love my gym and AFAIK nobody has ever been bit by a snake there.

Even better, they are a good reason for a gym membership! I can walk on the indoor track at my gym in comfortable temperatures any time I want, with no worries about snakes (or sudden storms, or being mugged or hit by a car). OK, it's not the same as hiking outside, but I love my gym and AFAIK nobody has ever been bit by a snake there.

Although I did see a scorpion in the gym in Az once.

Yikes! :eek: That's awful. I'd call the gym management team and raise Cain if I ever saw something like that in my gym.

When I bought logs in MO I had to be careful about scorpions. Many would ride a truck or RR car on the logs generally from OK, TX. Never saw any snakes other than the imaginary one I told a guy about. About 5 below zero and he sees a whole in a butt log, sticks his 4' rulers up to see how far it went. I yelled "Snake" and he was still running 50 yards later. I guess if it was a snake at -5F, I should have been afraid.

When I bought logs in MO I had to be careful about scorpions. Many would ride a truck or RR car on the logs generally from OK, TX. Never saw any snakes other than the imaginary one I told a guy about. About 5 below zero and he sees a whole in a butt log, sticks his 4' rulers up to see how far it went. I yelled "Snake" and he was still running 50 yards later. I guess if it was a snake at -5F, I should have been afraid.

Must be the deadly snow snake...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1462651549.212953.jpg

And the rest of the family in OP's photo all had a few ticks attached to them when they checked the next day. One doesn't go into brush like that in Texas and other tick countries without a good reason.

All of my dogs now get the rattlesnake vaccine, although you still need to take them to vet if bitten. My understanding is that it helps minimize the reaction, but does not eliminate need for medical care.

I hunt upland birds in Colorado and our dogs run for hours out on the prairie. A snake encounter is my greatest fear. We'd be heartbroken if one of our dogs died from a snake bite. We have both dogs vaccinated with the rattlesnake vaccine: 2 shots initially, several weeks apart, and then an annual booster. Very affordable, and as mentioned above, the shots are intended to give the dog extra time to make it to medical care.

Glad the woman is ok and we feel for the loss of their dog. That snake was scary close to their little girl.

Looks like the snake has his fangs out in that photo - ready for a big bite.

Glad to hear the young lady survived and sorry to hear about the dog's fate.

After 30 years in the oilfield on producing well sites, new drilling locations, field offices, pipe yards, compressor stations, etc, in states like Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, California, Colorado, etc, I have seen my share of rattlers in various situations.

I have never been bitten, but have killed several. The shovel was my main death instrument! Killing them on a lease road (on caliche) was fun to video (haha).

Some situations and what oilfield workers have to deal with daily:

1. Around pumping units and tank farm tanks, these little menaces like to hide out under equipment in sandy soil. You have to watch where you walk.

2. Gas meter house - typically a small porto-potty sized metal building housing a gas meter and plumbing going in and out sitting in the sun. Before opening the metal door, it's best to whack it with a stick and listen for the peeved off rattler you just woke up. Tie a rope on the door and open it from 10 feet away.

3.Compressor stations. Lots of noise from the large heat exchanger fan. Must be very careful going in buildings and opening doors. Around 55-gallon drums is a great place for a snake to hide waiting for a field mouse to strut by.

4. Pipe yards and equipment storage areas are loaded with places for snakes to lay low or nest. I have seen a snake come out the end of a 6" diameter pipe on a rack with other pipe.

5. Scruffy areas around well sites. Many time I have almost stepped on a rattler just walking from the truck to the pumping unit.

Leather boots are a must, and heavy coveralls over denims. I always carried a stick. The major oil companies do not allow any firearms on their sites. Many independent oil companies follow that rule, but it is bent from time to time.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1462718155.758324.jpg
Saw this lazy black rat snake this morning while walking with my dogs.

While working in El Paso we stopped for lunch at McD's. As we ate we watched while two Snake Control workers found and removed a rattlesnake from the outdoor kid's playscape. And this was in town.

In my DFW location, I have never seen a rattlesnake, but have seen several cottonmouths and copperheads.

DS lives in Tanzania; saw a Green Mamba by his house. Has two Rhodesian Ridgebacks that hopefully will keep snakes at bay as his 2 year old son loves to play outside. I'm sure DS has engaged in some "snake aversion" training of his son. The joys of adventure :(

DS lives in Tanzania; saw a Green Mamba by his house. Has two Rhodesian Ridgebacks that hopefully will keep snakes at bay as his 2 year old son loves to play outside. I'm sure DS has engaged in some "snake aversion" training of his son. The joys of adventure :(

Yikes!

Worst snake I ever encountered was my last boss ...

Worst snake I ever encountered was my last boss ...

I am familiar with that species, bites you in the back from extended distances and totally unprovoked.

I am familiar with that species, bites you in the back from extended distances and totally unprovoked.

They're sneaky little bas*ards too. They sometimes camouflage themselves to blend in as regular non threatening species. Almost normal. But then they strike with lethal venom. No warning. No rattle.

And then your left standing there wondering how you never saw the snake and why you didn't wear boots or somehow protect yourself. As the life slowly sucks out of you.....

Back
Top Bottom