Snap buttons

cooch96

Full time employment: Posting here.
Snap buttons are popular on workwear like coats and chaps. They were standard on blue jeans when I was a child. And they are a signature feature of western style shirts. But why aren't they more common elsewhere? Snap buttons won't pop off if your shirt gets snagged or pulled, and they look just as nice as sewed on buttons. They frequently come with a mother of pearl finish like tuxedo shirt studs.

What is the best way to get the clothing industry to sell more clothes with snap buttons? Do open letters on Facebook, to my local newspaper editor, or on early-retirement.org have any chance of being effective?

I'm interested in any and all comments. Thanks, gang.

Start your own clothing line using only snaps and no buttons. (Call it Snappy Snaps :)) If your business is a big success, the industry will follow.

Maybe they cost more than regular buttons?

I don't miss them - never liked them much. They don't pop off, but they do pop open easily.... so, no help from ME, I'm afraid - sorry! BUT: to each his/her own! I defend your right to lobby for snap buttons ;)

Last edited:
I'm interested in any and all comments. Thanks, gang.
If you like them, I think the easiest thing to do is to just add them to your clothing, replacing the present buttons/fasteners. The snaps fasteners themselves should be relatively easy to find (I'd check with makers of Western-style shirts, or just see if an actual snap fastener in your wardrobe has any markings.) They also are still featured on clothes for toddlers, as they are much easier for adults to fasten onto a squirming toddler than a traditional button is.
Installation is easy. On a shirt, remove the button and replace with the male part of the snap fastener (it installs with a simple plier-like tool). On the top placket, sew the buttonhole shut with matching thread, install the top (female) part of the snap in the right spot in the middle of the buttonhole slit.

Now, if the look of the sewn-shut buttonholes is a problem, then this won't work for you.

Snap buttons don't work well with certain fabrics.
I have a very nice heavier dress shirt, and the snaps hold up well.
On a softer waist jacket, a snap on the pocket is beginning to tear away.
I think well made shirt and not cheap snaps will wear well.

I have to spend a little more on western wear shirts to get good quality snaps. Cheap snaps don't hold up.

My western shirts have them and I like them but I don't care either way buttons or snaps.

That is a good question and not sure why western cloths have more snaps and modern cloths do not.

The market has spoken re: snaps vs buttons and zippers. Each appears on the garments most people prefer, snaps included. Unless you're prepared to buy a WHOLE lot of garments, I don't think you'll get very far. You can launch a social media campaign, but expect a vigorous anti snap/pro button opposition group to form immediately. The way of the world these days.

They are pretty easy to apply yourself as noted above, with simple inexpensive tools, if you're so inclined. That might be the best way to get what you prefer, without drawing the attention of the vast well organized button lobby.

Last edited:
You could start a social media site to discuss the topic. You could call it Snap Chat.

You could start a social media site to discuss the topic. You could call it Snap Chat.
You got us there, nicely done. Was this a setup with the OP? :LOL:

Hah! Thank you all. No setup by OP and I'm way too lazy to start my own company. I hadn't realized it was so easy to add snap buttons, so I'll likely add that to my list of ER projects. Web forums of people are yet again more helpful than search engines.

Hah! Thank you all. No setup by OP and I'm way too lazy to start my own company. I hadn't realized it was so easy to add snap buttons, so I'll likely add that to my list of ER projects. Web forums of people are yet again more helpful than search engines.
There's a pretty good little step-by-step of the basics here. The feedback from folks is that the plier tool is finicky, but the simpler tool that just uses a die and a small hammer to install the bits is more foolproof. Good luck!

Ask your friendly neighborhood male stripper where he gets his clothes. You know the kind of attire - you can rip off the shirt to one guitar riff and a couple beats later rip the pants off too. The magic is those snap buttons.

I stopped wearing shirts with snaps because they had a tendency to pull the hair off my chest. That was painful.

I stopped wearing shirts with snaps because they had a tendency to pull the hair off my chest. That was painful.
Could have been worse. Could have been snaps on your pants!

Ask your friendly neighborhood male stripper where he gets his clothes. You know the kind of attire - you can rip off the shirt to one guitar riff and a couple beats later rip the pants off too. The magic is those snap buttons.

This thread has really gone down hill. :nonono:

I worked with a couple that stripped on the weekends. They were both in IT during the week and had weekend "jobs", together or not.

I never asked. About snaps or anything else.:eek:

Snap buttons are great for changing diapers. Just grab and unsnap the cute little corduroy pants, all the way up the insides of both legs and opening at the crotch. Change the diaper, then snap everything up again, quick and easy.

So, that's what I think about when I think of snap buttons, even though I haven't changed a diaper since around 1980.

Hasn't kept zippers away from pants - and those can do much more damage than a snap button.... ask me how I know

My western shirts have them and I like them but I don't care either way buttons or snaps.
I liked western shirts with snaps and owned a couple of them at a time in the 80s. It's been over 25 years since I've owned one, though.

I can't imagine why a male would get zippered pants, but it seems like all of them do.

Being female, there is no danger posed. Still, I prefer (casual) pants that just fasten with a drawstring.

Back
Top Bottom