Sneakers cheap vs longevity

Luck_Club

Full time employment: Posting here.
What offers the best value for sneakers, and how long should they last?

I've always bought new balance ASICS? $20-$40 sneakers. I find that after about a year they hurt my feet. I don't run, but will wear them maybe 50% of the time. My feet are wide, think flinstones, so I need wider brands.

Which brands and price points offer better value (longevity)?
Should they last until they fall apart without hurting?
Is a year at that usage all I can expect?

What offers the best value for sneakers, and how long should they last?

I've always bought new balance ASICS? $20-$40 sneakers. I find that after about a year they hurt my feet. I don't run, but will wear them maybe 50% of the time. My feet are wide, think flinstones, so I need wider brands.

Which brands and price points offer better value (longevity)?
Should they last until they fall apart without hurting?
Is a year at that usage all I can expect?

I wear Nike, adidas, converse, or rebok, whatever I can find a deal on. I have 3 pairs of Nike and 4 pair of converse on hand and ready for service, actually got them at no cost because I bought in bulk and sold some off for profit and kept the non sellers for future use, I get a good 6 months to a year out of a pair

You're lucky to get a year out of your sneakers! But, it depends on how many miles you put on them and the activities you do (walking, running, playing tennis, etc). I'm lucky if I get 6 months to a year out of mine and I buy more expensive sneakers at a running store with inserts. From what you posted, I think you're doing great with your sneakers at a good price point!

Neither cheap nor longevity. I buy expensive (maybe $80) shoes that only last a few months. However I go about 1,000 miles on them. No running just walking around.

You're lucky to get a year out of your sneakers! But, it depends on how many miles you put on them and the activities you do (walking, running, playing tennis, etc). I'm lucky if I get 6 months to a year out of mine and I buy more expensive sneakers at a running store with inserts. From what you posted, I think you're doing great with your sneakers at a good price point!

I usually have 3 or 4 pairs that I rotate through

I also forgot to say that some of my worn out shoes that hurt my feet still look almost brand new. It's hard for me to throw them away or give them away so I keep them and still wear them every now and then even though they hurt my feet if I wear them all day.

I guess my answer is that I buy cheap, the converse I have were $17 a pop and the nikes were around $20, close outs on Eastbay + coupon + credit card rebate + a 5% online rebate saved around 30% total. Flipped them on eBay for $30-$35

The cushioning will often break down before the shoes fall apart. 500 miles of running is the general guideline. I don't know what the equivalent for walking and other activities would be. 1000 miles doesn't sound unreasonable, but I really don't know. It's not just feet, but also listen to what your knees and back are telling you. But problems come on gradually since shoes wear down a bit at a time, so it can be tough to detect. I'd be looking to switch at the first noticeable signs of problems if you've been wearing the shoes for awhile, or at least after giving any other issues a week or so to clear up.

If you can get a year out of $20-40 shoes that seems very good. As someone else noted, rotating shoes can help. I try not to run in the same shoes two days in a row, to let the cushioning recover. Maybe you'd get more than 2 years out of 2 pair by switching them off every day.

My running shoes tend to be on the higher end due to the high volume of running I do, so I don't think for your usage my advice would help much. I go through a lot of different shoes to find ones that work for me, then I tend to stick with them until they are discontinued or the model changes too much. I'm not brand loyal for quality reasons, as I don't see a lot of quality differences between brands, but I am loyal to models I find that work. I don't skimp on shoes and don't think the no-name brands will work for my running, but they might be fine for your purposes.

New Balance does tend to be a favorite with people with wide feet and generally I'd say they make a good shoe. If you find a good price on Altra shoes you could try them as they make wider toe boxes that work really well for me with my Morton's neuroma.

There was a former NBA player who got fed up with expensive shoes that poorer kids couldn't afford, and hooked up with some guys to make a very good quality shoe for something like $15. He even played in them, and somebody cut them apart and found them to be reasonably close to the quality of shoes at 10x the price. Neat story, I first heard about it on NPR recently. I don't know if they ever made other shoes. https://qz.com/517211/stephon-marbury-says-his-15-nba-quality-sneakers-are-coming-back/

I go cheap.

I go for comfort. Price means nothing if the shoes are not comfortable.

I agree. I have very wide feet and have trouble finding anything comfortable. The shoes at the wide shoe specialty shops are not only expensive, they are uglier than sin.

Finally found shoes online that come extra extra wide and are reasonably priced, but they only have a woman's line so that won't help you much.

The first thing I do when I buy a new pair of sneakers is replaced the sole with one from Dr. Scholl's. I get 5 or 6 years out of a pair of sneakers that I use for just walking around that way.

Thanks all. Guess I'm doing fine. Thought there might be a magic bean shoe out there, but consensus says otherwise.

Tried the Dr Scholls. Never feel right.

I usually go with NB. Fairly inexpensive and feel very supportive while walking ( I do a lot of walking). I have recently found Nike wide for about $50 a pair and I really like them as well.

Mike

I walk quite a bit and use to go cheap but I found that I experienced more foot and knee pain. I have switched to higher end ASICs (GT2000s most recently) and switch in SofSole inserts after 2-3 months. I also monitor the wear on the soles and am quite often surprised by how much wear changes the dynamics of the shoe.

I get whatever is on sale. $19.95 or $24.95 per pair. Usually at Payless Shoes. Sometimes they have a buy one get on half off or free sale. They last me about 3 years, then start to crack on the front sides where they flex. Then they become my lawn mowing shoes and hill-climbing shoes. I get black shoes so they look OK to wear as "dress" shoes (somewhat) also, when new. Eventually they are falling apart so much that I take them down to the "fabric" recycling bin at the recycling center and toss them in. Can't remember the brand names. Some of them become uncomfortable after a year or so, some do not.

I get whatever is on sale. $19.95 or $24.95 per pair. Usually at Payless Shoes. Sometimes they have a buy one get on half off or free sale. They last me about 3 years, then start to crack on the front sides where they flex. Then they become my lawn mowing shoes and hill-climbing shoes.

+1 I do exactly the same thing.

I where sneakers for my morning beach walk. Tends to be a decent shoe, bought for cheap at costco. I had a pair of asics that lasted for almost 2 years and were still comfortable... till the uppers started falling apart. I recently replaced them with puma brand - because that's what costco had. I have long/wide feet for a woman - so I learned what my men's shoe size is. (11w = 9m). Men's shoes run wider than womens... so I don't need to buy extra wide.

My son's are like puppies with oversize feet. Older son wears a 14, younger son (only age 14) wears a 13w. So I've gotten good at finding shoes in their size on amazon. They don't carry 14's at costco. LOL. They are VERY hard on shoes - so I buy them new shoes every 4-6 months. I always buy running or basketball shoes - since they use them for gym class and workouts as well.

The cushioning will often break down before the shoes fall apart. 500 miles of running is the general guideline. I don't know what the equivalent for walking and other activities would be. 1000 miles doesn't sound unreasonable, but I really don't know. It's not just feet, but also listen to what your knees and back are telling you. But problems come on gradually since shoes wear down a bit at a time, so it can be tough to detect.

It's the same for me...I learned the hard way that using worn out runners for running will cause foot problems.

My normal routine is to use the new runners for running and only running, then they become "walking around" shoes for a while, then are downgraded again to "cut the grass" or "dirty job" shoes. As each pair makes its way down the chain, the pair it replaces drops down and is finally tossed...although I do keep 2 or 3 pairs of "dirty job" shoes on hand for the very messy jobs where I'll use them for the day and dispose of them.

I usually wear Nike, Reebok, or Under Armour. I have tried NB but they seem a little stiff to me for comfort, as compared to the others. We live a couple of hours from a good outlet store area and I will go there to get them at good prices. But I'll spend more if the comfort is better. Normally I spend between $40-$70 dollars a pair, but they last. I have separate sneakers for walking, working out, and social events. When they get worn down they become yardwork shoes.

I also buy New Balance since they have 4X available... all other shoes squish my feet and they hurt at the end of he day.... not so with New Balance...

I still have a pair I bought in '99... I do not use them much anymore, but they are still good... but like others have said, I buy a number of pair and rotate... right now I am rotating 3 pair...

The other thing with me is that I only use them for the gym.... I am wearing sandals the rest of the time... I like them much better than sneakers...

The thing about regular-use shoes (ie for a lot of walking or running) is it's not just about how they feel on your feet, but the overall impact absorption and protection for your knees, back, hips, etc. By the time your feet hurt something else is probably also suffering.

Not saying that a $100 pair means you get an extra 5 years before a knee replacement, but going cheap for shoes is not the same thing as a cheap t-shirt.

So, yeah though, a year in a decent pair as a walker-only sounds about right. Do check out the NB's though, they are very supportive for wider feet and walking.

I have big wide feet so I have to go with whatever I can find in my size. When I shop for shoes I first tell the salesman my size and then I start looking at the style and design, IF they have anything. Online shopping helps, but I must try them on before buying. Free shipping is readily available but that could take weeks before I find a pair that works.

Have to be careful with my plantar fasciitis though (since resolved - for now at least). Cheap, non-supportive shoes are no bargain for me.

$39.99 New Balance, Cheaper if I can find them. Size 12. I wear them about 75% of the time. I get between a year or two out of them depending on if I wear them in the lake. I weigh about 200 lbs, and we walk two to three miles about 5 times a week.

Last edited:
I have problem feet. Used to run until my early 40s when my feet kinda gave out (mild osteoarthritis). Though I can't run I still use my kinda expensive (~$100) New Balance running shoes with thick padded Spenco insoles for hiking and general use. At least they're comfortable and (mostly) keep my feet from hurting. I get maybe 18 months out of a pair. So not the most frugal of approaches, but I'm willing to permit myself this extravagance to keep me on my feet.

Back
Top Bottom