Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, maybe you guys aren't crazy:

The Commercial Ringing Phone Syndrome | Memeingful

I Hear Ringing and There's No One There. I Wonder Why. - New York Times

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Actually a TiVo makes it really easy to determine if the beeping is coming from the TV programming or from elsewhere.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

If I'm watching a DVRed show I just fast forward through the commercial. No sound. If I'm watching live pre-recorded TV I hit the mute button during commercials, because 1) despite recent congressional action the commercials are still 50% louder than the show, and 2) even at lower levels the inane babbling of commercials (especially the mandated high speed "small print" at the end of many of them) drives me nuts. I firmly believe that my decades of not watching commercials contributed significantly to my LBYM, since I didn't expose myself to their subtle (screaming) demands that I need this, that, or the other. I used to avoid them by changing the channel and watching a 3-4 minute burst of a different show. America's Funniest Home Videos is good for that. But I determined that was not good for my longevity when DW informed me that if I didn't quit she was going to kill me. So now I just mute.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #24
gone traveling

ReW, you can do what I do and just get all my news and entertainment right here on e-r.org. It's brought to you by folks you can trust, and the only warning buzzers come from the mods...
Old 02-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure why you (and the NY Times) think that the point is to get you to listen more closely to the commercial. That seems like quite a leap of logic.

I haven't heard one of these, but I would think that the second I notice a beep, I'm going to stop listening to the commercial, and work on finding out what is beeping.

As Rustward does, whenever I hear a weird noise, I say "Was that on the TV?," back up with the Tivo back 20 seconds button, and listen again.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I particularly hate the commericals that play a doorbell...

Yes, I think they do it on very much purpose because it's a sure attention getter...

I'm gonna buy a unique electronic chime for my own doorbell, then I can train myself to disregard all of the "usual" doorbell sounds, because they aren't mine...
Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #27

My pet peeve is the little "pop up" ads that will slide up from the bottom of the screen during the middle of the show. Bonus points when these ads obscure meaningful subtitles, just to make sure I know that this week's "CSI: Miami" is a new episode.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here, I found the ad. This is the audio part -- is this the one?

AARP Insurance Ad
ROTFL

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here, I found the ad. This is the audio part -- is this the one?

AARP Insurance Ad
Now that's funny!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #30

One of the local furniture stores did the most annoying commercial around Christmas time. They used the weather warning alert sound in the background of the audio. I'm assuming they hoped to get people to pay attention with that sound when all it did for me was to assure I would never shop there.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
My pet peeve is the little "pop up" ads that will slide up from the bottom of the screen during the middle of the show. Bonus points when these ads obscure meaningful subtitles, just to make sure I know that this week's "CSI: Miami" is a new episode.
Totally agree these are the worst. When the Haiti earthquake hit last year, one station was running sit-com pop-ups so funny little people competed in the corner against bodies being carried out on stretchers on the main screen.

And I predict we will soon see these pop-ups being used for Burpus Cola and other commercials, with a never-ending crawl below them for more commercials that will obscure one-fourth to one-third of the picture.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #32
Administrator

REW, I neither use, nor would suggest, Tivo or a DVR.

But I have the right, low-tech solution for you!!

There's this really neat button that I discovered on my remote, called "mute". I mute all commercials. You know how I feel about Madison avenue and its effect on spending habits - - not healthy to listen to, IMO.

Also, when I am reading the board or posting (like right now), I mute the TV. I can watch captions between posting (right now, these captions are describing Cairo and the video is showing tanks in the background). If something looks interesting, I can quit posting for a few seconds and un-mute.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #33

Cummon, us LYBM types don't have no stinkin' remote controls.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Cummon, us LYBM types don't have no stinkin' remote controls.
So true, got me there. Besides, if I was truly LBYM enough, even if I did have a remote it probably wouldn't have the "mute" button like the fancy ones do.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I remember that my grandmother would always get up, walk to the TV, and turn the volume down when the commercials came on. This anti-commercial trait has been passed on to me, probably due to upbringing than genetics.

This guy's a bit crude (some bad language), but I agree with him 100%:

Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
None of these examples are as infuriating as radio commercials that have a siren in the audio. I usually only listen to the radio when I'm driving.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No Al, you've got it all wrong.

I'm sitting here at my desk attempting to entertain and enlighten the Intertube reading public while CNN chatters in the background. Suddenly I'm interrupted by voices in my head an annoying beep. Thousands Hundreds A dozen One lonely snowbound forum reader is deprived of all that wit and wisdom while I investigate the source of the sound, then rant and rave about it.

Got it?
Are you sure it's not the microwave telling you dinner is ready?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I realize that some who respond will ignore this qualifier and offer the alternatives mentioned above plus others, but it makes me feel good to point this out to those of you who actually pay attention.
Your imagination is running wild. I have been on this board for quite some time and I can assure you that the above is not true.

Have you tried newspapers instead? You read what interests you and there's no sound.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #39

Quote:
I hate those things, too, because sometimes there is stuff on the bottom of the screen the viewers actually need to SEE which get blocked out by some dumb promo. TNT is awful with this.

Do you recall Saturday Night Live doing a spoof on TNT's use of this? They broadcast NBA basketball games and SNL did a skit with the never-ending promo characters and their show's theme show music interfering with the game's announcers trying to cover the game. It was hilarious.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
None of these examples are as infuriating as radio commercials that have a siren in the audio. I usually only listen to the radio when I'm driving.
I've gotten caught by that one, too.