Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Then of course there's this one. While driving, you can time the traffic reports and tune to the radio station just as the report begins. You have cleverly missed the annoying life-draining ads, and you think you will only get the traffic report. You tune to the station at the right time. The ad is finishing. Then your traffic report begins. "The Cross-Bronx is running smoothly. The TappanZee is fine." And then the knife to the heart, as the announcer inserts "This report brought to you by ScumFest Bank. Be a Scummer today". The announcer then, without missing beat, continues with the traffic report, as The Scumfest Bankers chortle with glee in their highback leather chairs, having once again forcefed JoeSixpack their daily dose of crap.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

SO annoying
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

SO annoying

I just saw this commercial and found this thread via Google because I was so annoyed by it that I had to see if anyone else heard what I heard.

One theory that jumped to mind immediately is that the spot is aimed at people of conventional retirement age. Most people of this age are not able to hear that frequency (~12,000 Hz.) anymore. So maybe it is there to intentionally annoy younger viewers?

Before you think I wear a tinfoil hat, this high-frequency technology has been used by retail establishments to scare off young loiterers.

The Mosquito - The anti loitering device
High-frequency noise generator scares off teens

Anyway, I feel your (aural) pain. I hate that commercial.
IronTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #43
Administrator

The introduction to ABC's Nightline show really annoys me. It has at least two, and maybe three, very high pitched "beeps" that usually lead me to turn it off.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Perhaps the popcorn you forgot in the microwave is ready.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We eliminate most commercials by watching our favorite shows through Netflix. We get to watch them anytime we want and also back to back episodes when we have the time. Granted they may be a season behind but that doesn't concern us. Other than that when we use the antennae and are subjected to commercials we find the mute button handy.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here, I found the ad. This is the audio part -- is this the one?

AARP Insurance Ad
Saaay, is this just a way to get me to view an AARP insurance ad?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetSail View Post
Maybe it's really a Tivo ad that is being subsidized by Hartford's competition. You get mad at Hartford, buy different insurance and decide to buy a Tivo so you don't have to listen to the commercial. Meanwhile Tivo uses special software that creates subliminal messages when you speed through commercials that command you to spread the word that everyone should buy a Tivo to avoid annoying commercials.
I told my colleagues at Tivo that no one would EVER figure this out - shows you what I know. I guess it is time for me to retire.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote