Join Early Retirement Today

Sneaky TV ads
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sneaky TV ads

Let me start this by saying yes, I'm fully aware there are ways of avoiding annoying TV commercials, including not having a TV, having one but not turning it on, using a Tivo, etc. I'm not seeking recommendations of how to avoid commercials, merely ranting. I realize that some who respond will ignore this qualifier and offer the alternatives mentioned above plus others, but it makes me feel good to point this out to those of you who actually pay attention.

To those of you who don't have a clue about anything, please be sure to suggest I get a Tivo....

rant on/

I've noticed an annoying audio track running in the background on some TV commercials. One example is an AARP ad for Hartford Insurance aired on CNN. A periodic electronic "beep" plays throughout the commercial, the sound of a timer or electronic alarm going off. It is at low volume, but loud enough to make you take notice and ask yourself "what's that noise?" and listen to see if it is coming from the TV or somewhere else.

Very sleazy...

/rant off
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have you considered getting a TiVo?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Have you considered getting a TiVo?
+1
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Have you read the tinnitus thread?

(Hey, I saw your response to the other poster and just missed being able to quote it by microseconds...)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Have you read the tinnitus thread?
I'm sorry, you'll need to speak up in order to be heard over the annoying electronic beeping from the Tivo ads...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Since I am able to skip over the commercials... I do not listen to them... (I still have to 'view' them but at a higher speed)...

But... what gets me is how much more product placement is in the shows and the commercials that use the actors for ads.. I wish I had an example in mind... but say I am watching show A... I am flying through the commercials and see my actor pop up.. so I hit 'play'... and we are in the middle of a commercial about some car that actor is driving in the show... and you can go online and play some game etc. etc. etc... and I can not fast forward again because the real show is juuuuusssstttt right after this commercial and I will not be able to pick it out from the commercial...

Seems to me they have found a way to get your attention... sneeky of them...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Let me get this straight, you sit through up to 10 minutes of commercials that interrupt your show, for things that you don't want or need, such as insurance, and you're annoyed by occasional beeps within those commercials?

Assuming I've got that right, how do you know that that beeping isn't just a technical glitch, and not attempted mind control?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Think your smoke detector battery is dying.

My current peeve is using the actors of whatever show we're watching - and a plausible bit of dialog so the commercial could be a part of the show. I catch a glimpse and think I'm passing the re-start point as I click the 30 second jump button while DVR speeding past the commercial break. So then I stop, back up 10 seconds at a time, and sonsabitches - they tricked me into watching a chunk of Subway sandwich ad!

Don't think I've heard the beeping though, other than from the a fore mentioned smoke detector or the microwave. Is your coffee reheated?

Oh - what Texas Proud said better.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Seems to me they have found a way to get your attention... sneeky of them...
As more people get Tivos (are you listening REW?), this is only going to get worse.

Something I really like about the Tivo is the "jump ahead one minute" button. For shows that I watch regularly, I know exactly how many minutes to skip. For example, On Craig Ferguson, it is exactly seven minutes between the first segment and the second. It's usually an additional 2 minutes for the opening song plus the time it takes the audience to stop clapping. So, nine presses, and I'm at the start of the main monologue. Next two commercial breaks are exactly 8 minutes long.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
......... One example is an AARP ad ..........
I'm mad at AARP because of their political views. Just a bunch of greedy old people anyway.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Let me get this straight, you sit through up to 10 minutes of commercials that interrupt your show, for things that you don't want or need, such as insurance, and you're annoyed by occasional beeps within those commercials?
No Al, you've got it all wrong.

I'm sitting here at my desk attempting to entertain and enlighten the Intertube reading public while CNN chatters in the background. Suddenly I'm interrupted by voices in my head an annoying beep. Thousands Hundreds A dozen One lonely snowbound forum reader is deprived of all that wit and wisdom while I investigate the source of the sound, then rant and rave about it.

Got it?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just relax and enjoy a nice Burpsi Cola (tm). Life goes better with Burpsi.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I can't say I have noticed those sneaky TV ads, but my brains tends to shut out whatever is annoying or irrelevant to me... beep but if you had a beep TIVO beep surely it wouldn't beep happen beep*... Now that congress has outlawed "loud commercials", I guess advertisers have to resort to other tricks to get our attention.

*I don't have a TIVO.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Here, I found the ad. This is the audio part -- is this the one?

AARP Insurance Ad
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:

AARP Insurance Ad
No way in heck will I click on that link...
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

AARP Insurance Ad

Methinks we've a potential new thread: What do we all sound like.

Izzat you Al, shilling for AARP? (beep)
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

REWPepsi.jpg
Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I know exactly what you mean. AARP doesn't get my attention, but there is another commercial that has a phone-like chirp running in the background, at about the same space as a telephone ring. Don't hear it so much any more, but when it first started playing it drove me nuts. I checked the phones, smoke detector, and anything else that might have a low battery signal (chirp). Finally, I narrowed it down to the TV commercial. Ranted to DH about it...no response, he didn't hear it...high pitch noises are a no-go for him. I was so thoroughly irritated by the ad that I determined to ignore it. Still don't know what the ad was for...successful ignoring! BTW, this always happened while I was doing something else...TV on in the background. Gee, I think I can rant as well as REWahooo.

I don't TIVO either...if it isn't important enough for me to watch when it comes on, it isn't important enough to TIVO either. I only have a few programs that I routinely watch and I'm pretty fickle about those. TV is usually on some business channel all day...sort of like white noise.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Actually Rewahoo missed the point of the beeping. The next commercial is for hearing aids, swiftly followed by the ENT services.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe it's really a Tivo ad that is being subsidized by Hartford's competition. You get mad at Hartford, buy different insurance and decide to buy a Tivo so you don't have to listen to the commercial. Meanwhile Tivo uses special software that creates subliminal messages when you speed through commercials that command you to spread the word that everyone should buy a Tivo to avoid annoying commercials.
SunsetSail is offline   Reply With Quote