Join Early Retirement Today

Snow skiing
Old 01-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Snow skiing

Like to ski (the snow kind)? Enjoy it while it lasts....

https://www.economist.com/news/inter...threat-climate

In the rich world, ageing skiers are gradually giving up the sport, although those who keep going tend to have lots of time and money to enjoy the snow. In America, over-55s make up about a fifth of skiers; the most avid are aged 72 and older. Still, their numbers are not being made up fast enough by younger skiers, for several reasons. In many places ticket prices have risen faster than inflation, although resorts offer discounts for season passes and early booking. In America, there is a trend for richer people to ski more than they used to, and poorer ones to ski less. Non-whites, a growing slice of the population, are less keen on skiing. In Europe, school trips to the slopes are less common, even in countries such as Austria and Switzerland that think of themselves as nations on skis. With global travel, those with money can just as easily fly to a beach in winter.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

Preference for snowboarding over skiing for GenX/GenY perhaps?
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

I’m skiing less (I’m 67). Still love it but DW less so since she injured her ACL. DD and DSIL still ski and I go with them. Our house in Canmore is close to 4 pretty good ski resorts. Great activity with kids in the 5-15 age group. Agree it’s usually quite expensive.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #4

I think you could replace the word skiing with golfing and have about the same story. The thing that sticks out to me is that what use to be fun recreation, gets taken over and monetized and it's not affordable to the average person any longer. Same thing is happening in sports. It's just too costly to go to a game, take in a round or jump on the slopes - especially if you want to take your family.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

The article is mostly about global warming.

We ski twice every year, one Christmas, the other spring break. The ski lifts are always crowded. And definitely only a small number of old geezers.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Love to Ski. My wife and I are heading out to Keystone for a week in the middle of February. Bought some new K2 Pinnacles to try out. We go with a group of 12 to 20 (some years more, and some less) and try to go somewhere different every year. By doing that we have seen some beautiful country.

I have toned it down a bit on the aggressive runs and try to stick to the blues. However I went to Jackson Hole last year and many of the blues were bluer than most LOL.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

I don’t buy their premise in the article. Slopes seem well attended to me.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The better the skier, the more efficient they are. I have seen skiers in their late 70's on the s!opes. I stopped after breaking 2 legs at age 57.

My sister had a house in Aspen, and her ski instructor/close friend worked with many Olympians. She has had hundreds of days skiing with him on AJAX. But those bumps caught up with her finally at age 69, and she just had back fusion. Her husband hung up his ski's after 2/back surgeries caused by changing his golf swing.

Remember that every skier just has so many moguls in those legs. When those bumps are up, it is time to hang up the boots.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #9

I was an avid skier (ski house at Killington) and 4 trips a year out west until age 50 when I moved to Peru. Have not skied in 14 years now. My DD & DSIL live in Denver and ski every weekend! I started her at 3 years old. My two sons 12 & 2 have never expressed an interest and my young wife does not swim,ski,skate,bike,drive but is a helluva cook/mother/wife and some other things I can't mention.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #10

Last season was the best snow in a decade. Over 600 inches fell. A season pass is under $300 where I go; Sierra At Tahoe, if you buy it at the end of the current season for next year. I ski 2 or 3 times a week. I avoid weekends as the lines are too long with wait times about 15 minutes to get on the chair. Yesterday, I never had a line or shared a chair, just no one there week days usually.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
gone traveling

About to hit the big 70. Till the last 3 years, took 1-2 week long trips to western resorts for 25 years or so. I was late to the sport. But my bum knee - nothing to do with skiing - now gets sore for extended periods, months even, if I ski more than a few hours on the groomed for 2-3 hr. So now I limit myself to a local 400' hill 1-2x/wk. I greatly miss the big trips. Funny thing is, skiing is the worst thing I do for knee pain. W/o it, little problem. At times I've wished it hurt all the time so I could get a replacement & go to the big mountains again. Oh well.

Do agree with those who note the sky-high lift rate increases & the income stratification it's increased for skiing. A shame
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Lifetime skier since 6 years old. Annuals to Utah and the Alps. Must admit that my ACL (or is it LCL) is acting up this year (age 65.5) and a bit fearful. Have given up on bumps and real steeps. Try to stay on the groomed runs now.

Many years ago I commented to my ski buddy that "someday we won't even bring our skis; we'll just sit on the deck drinking beer and watch the girls in ski suits" That day seems to be coming.

IMO the article is just another agenda article where the author sees what he wants to see.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Many years ago I commented to my ski buddy that "someday we won't even bring our skis; we'll just sit on the deck drinking beer and watch the girls in ski suits" That day seems to be coming.
I preferred the low cut bibs.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm in the Colorado Rockies right now and conditions are fair to poor. Lots of brown spots and rocks and stumps sticking up where there would normally be 3' of snow by now. I understand that the northern Rockies are having at least an average year, but most resorts in Colorado and Utah are really suffering.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #15

I'll be 72 this year and I still love to ski. the problem is that my joints don't love it as much as I do. I've mostly given up mogul runs, and rarely do blacks. I can still handle many of the harder blues OK, but I can see the day coming when I'll be down to just easy runs.

OTOH, the cost of lift tickets went down substantially when I qualified for senior rates, so that's a nice perk. I run into other 70+ skiers on the lifts all the time so I think us oldsters are helping to keep the sport alive. So the line about us being the most avid participants certainly seems likely, but if we're the mainstay, then where are all these young snowboarders coming from?
Old 01-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Last season was the best snow in a decade. Over 600 inches fell. A season pass is under $300 where I go; Sierra At Tahoe, if you buy it at the end of the current season for next year. I ski 2 or 3 times a week. I avoid weekends as the lines are too long with wait times about 15 minutes to get on the chair. Yesterday, I never had a line or shared a chair, just no one there week days usually.

I can’t imagine. 2-3 times per week. How awesome would that be. Tahoe must be a great place to live.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I can’t imagine. 2-3 times per week. How awesome would that be. Tahoe must be a great place to live.
same with Boise - our passes are about $300 a year. Free if you are over 70.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
same with Boise - our passes are about $300 a year. Free if you are over 70.

Sweet. I’ve driven only briefly through the sawtooth area and it was beautiful. I’m sure most of Idaho is very nice.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #19

Agree that it is going to be a struggle for the sport. Demographics, cost, potentially shorter or less predictable seasons. We spent a week at Killington in December and DW and three of the kids going to Lake Louise and Fernie for 10 days mid-February. When all factors are considered it is a very expensive sport. Lift tickets are very expensive and half-day tickets for afternoons are usually 80-90% of the full day ticket price. As well, most resorts seem to close at 4 or 430 even when days get longer in the spring.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I started out during a business trip. VISA credit card company had a promo; learn-to-ski package for $15. A few of us on business were getting bored so we took the package. It was like taking a really good hit of some drug and getting addicted almost instantly. I told myself I gotta quit my job and move here! Fortunately, I found a job working for the electric company. By the third season, I was getting bored with it; just not enough Adrenalin rush. An ad in the local newspaper was the resort posting a 'learn-to-be-a-ski-instructor' clinic. 3 days for $100. I signed up and was offered a job. For the next 10 years I worked 7 days a week from around Thanksgiving to Easter; 4 days a week (10 hours days) for the electric company and 3 days a week for the resort. Since I had a full time job, I was only used to teach when they were short instructors. I quickly got certified as a level 3 instructor and taught the 'hard' stuff; bumps, powder, trees, etc.
Instructors were invited to 'Pro Night' in October. All the vendors would display their equipment, selling to 'Pros' for next to nothing just so we would wear their gear and students, wanting to ski like instructors, would notice. Besides ski instructors, ski patrol and sports athletes would be invited to pro-nite. At the end of the season, I'd sell my gear to a lift operator for what I paid for it, knowing the next season, I'd have all new stuff.
Every day I was working started 1 hour before the resort opened for guests where we would clinic with the top instructors. I learned more than I could imagine how to ski just about anything. The terms, techniques, avalanche control, etc. Steep and deep is what I live for. Bottomless powder in the trees.
Employees also were able to get their family season passes as well. That cinched the deal for me as there would have been no way I could afford season passes and equipment for the whole family.
Now everyone skis; me, DW, my kids and all my grand kids. It's amazing that a business trip and a bored evening turned into such a life changing event.
Monday I was riding the chair up with one other guy. We talked a bit and turned out he's Maddie Bowman's father. (She won gold at Sochi 2014) I've given private family lessons to many pro football players after Super Bowl. So fun to motivate the kids by showing them they can be better at a sport than their dad. The physique of a football player doesn't work well for skiing. Especially when teaching how to get up after a fall. I'd have the kids throw snow balls at dad until he got up. Ha! Every lesson I'd have the students tell me who they are and what they do for a living. Then I introduce myself and ask, "So, how do you like MY office view?" Ha!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote