Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: So How Big IS Your Home?
Less then 500 sq. ft. 5 2.16%
500 to 1000 sq. ft. 19 8.23%
1000 to 1500 sq. ft. 43 18.61%
1500 to 2000 sq. ft. 50 21.65%
2000 to 2500 sq. ft. 48 20.78%
2500 to 3000 sq. ft. 39 16.88%
3500 to 4000 sq. ft. 13 5.63%
4000 to 4500 sq. ft. 9 3.90%
more than 5000 sq. ft. but less than 6000 2 0.87%
more than 6000 sq. ft. but less than 7000 1 0.43%
more than 7000 sq. ft.but less than 10,000 0 0%
more than 10,000 sq. ft. 0 0%
3000 to 3500 sq. ft 2 0.87%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Want2Retire: medal deserved for just surviving that whole mess.

Hey, that's me too; same year, almost the same size, same gluttin for punishment, however 2 kids to fill it with. Back then I had no issue workin 30+ ft up on the eaves or clinging to a 10/12 pitch, this last fall was a different story
Dont remind me of the "heights as you're getting older problem" - I have to stain the soffit and fascia in the spring and I'm not looking forward to it,

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are all of you guys 'the Joneses'. Yours is bigger than mine is

Old 02-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Objects in the mirror are larger than they appear...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Uh, what is square footage? Apts. like mine are advertised as "sunny, top floor."
Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Uh, what is square footage? Apts. like mine are advertised as "sunny, top floor."
No roof?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
No roof?
Oops, yes, but it's known as the patio (with view of sunset over the GG Bridge).
Old 02-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #107

"1,789 square feet of gross [hey! ] living area above grade" per my recent appraisal. 3br + bonus, 2ba. It's the right size for when my 3 kids are with me and easily 2x too big when they aren't.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Steve R...

Seems you are in a category by yourself.... but I just looked and someone put in one over 5K, so I can not say that you are WAY above everybody else..

But... really you are!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #109

Ours is 4271ft plus 1700 sq ft of country porch going around 3 sides, plus a screen room/outdoor kitchen. 4BR/4Bath, formal living, formal dining, great room, storage room, loft, bonus room. Walk in shower in the master, plus jacuzzi tub.

3 central AC units so we only heat /cool the area we are in. Most heating is by the woodstove, but because the great room is two story, all the heat goes up and it takes forever to warm up (but the kids stay real cozy upstairs at night. This is in central california, very hot in the summer, but we built with 2x6 exterior and extra insulation, plus the country porch shades the downstairs. We put in a whole house fan, and turn it on early in the summer mornings as it is very cool, then close the windows and adjust blinds upstairs so not too much heat comes in. Then we are cool all day until about 4-5pm. Then the A/C comes on for a couple hours until it gets below 75, then the doors and windows are opened and the WH fan goes on again. We sleep with the french door in the bedroom open.

This is our new home, built a couple years ago. I wanted to build around 2500ft, DW wanted room for all the (prospective) grandkids. We both love it, but I wish I could have gotten away with the 2500 ft version...FIRE would be closer. But FIREd with a not totally happy DW would not be so nice either.

Electric is solar (80 panels, 150w each) feeding PG&E during the day (love watching the meter spin backwards during the day) and what we need is fed back to us in the night (net metering).

18x38 pool, big pool patio, 2 acre plot, country, quiet. Will eventually build an in-law apartment and extra garage for the toys/tractor/exercise room.

Problem: Taxes run about $10k per year, and insurance around 3k...home appraised by realtors in 2005 at about $1.5m, but doubt it would sell for that now...doubt it would even sell in today's market, but the market will eventually come back, and we don't have to sell until we are unable to care for it anymore.

Other home is 1700 ft (can't sell it or rent it...too long of an explanation to post for now). Apartment in Asia is 1800ft, and if we had a mortgage (we don't) on the big house for the full value, the rent on the apartment would still be higher than the mortgage.

Can't wait to FIRE, sell the little house and get fully settled in the big house!

R
Old 02-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our 2 story home is 2874sf, but the footprint of the house is relatively small in that we don't have any vaulted ceilings or "open" space. That also keeps the heating & cooling costs down, since we're not heating unused space. We live in a temperate area of SoCal that gets good breezes, so A/C is only needed for a couple of weeks out of the year. Taxes run ~$5200 per year.

The house itself is plenty big enough for us and our 2 kids. My wife, daughter and I are all introverts, so it's nice that there's enough space for us all to spread out and do our own thing (we haven't decided yet if our 1yo son is an introvert or not). It's not perfect: I wouldn't mind more privacy from neighbors, and we're close enough to a busy street to hear road noise if the doors or windows are opened. Those are minor nuisances though. My only real complaint about the place is that I'd like a bigger garage/workspace. We have a 2 car garage, with no possibility to expand that. I like cars, and cars can be an expensive hobby, so maybe that will work out for the best in the long run. Barring any major life changes, I expect that we'll be here until our kids have grown and moved on.

One of our favorite features of the house is the back yard. It's small-ish by non-SoCal standards at 50x50, but we had a contractor re-do it a couple of years ago, adding a built-in barbecue, etc. We're very happy with the way it turned out; the hammock is a very nice place to spend an afternoon. Here's a picture I took at dusk while "playing" with the settings on my camera:

Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Ours is 4271ft plus 1700 sq ft of country porch going around 3 sides, plus a screen room/outdoor kitchen again.
Can we come live on your porch? We can earn our keep--I'll scurry around and open the blinds, turn on the fans, and dust off the solar panels every day.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #112

Less than 500. Small space rented from a friend - $400 for everything
Old 02-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Can we come live on your porch? We can earn our keep--I'll scurry around and open the blinds, turn on the fans, and dust off the solar panels every day.
I'd be happy with just the porch & screenroom myself...its better than the doghouse!

R
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
2289 square feet according to Zillow. Started as a 14x24 cabin that was added onto over the last 120 years. We bought my 93 YO neighbor's house from his son in '94 - Old Art had lived here since '28, and after he died his son was going to turn it into a 5 bedroom 1 bath rental without doing anything to it - and it needed everything from foundation to roof. We spent 6 years doing everything - changing floorplans, moving staircase, reflooring with old wide oak flooring we salvaged from an old folks home, all new wiring including a new drop, new plumbing from the meter to the sewer main. Pulled a brick chimney out and had a fireplace installed in a new location. Got busted a couple years into the project when i had an attached bedroom with about 4 feet of air under it (foundation and joist replacement) and a track hoe in the back yard digging a new sewer line. After paying for a bunch of paper from the city and county we became all legal and inspected. Lots of fun - we used a bunch of old salvaged material - over a dozen opening transom window doors, old wide wood window trim, and 8" baseboard moulding from a 1912 hotel, lots of '30s school house light globes on new old stock fixtures i bought from the state auction... Turned the house into a 3/3 with attic. Tore down the barn and flipped the 12" boards and did board and batten on the 24x36 3 car detached garage we built - fully insulated, finished, and with gas ceiling hung heater. Upstairs of the garage is just over 500' of plumbed and finished pottery studio - built it so that it can be a self sufficient apartment with it's own kitchen and bath should some future owner have that desire - downstairs one of the car spots can be walled off so that it, a second man door, and the inside stairs would be all private - even has it's own washer/dryer hookups.
You have any pics? Your place sounds amazing.

Ours is a 1700 sqf ranch in North Florida on 10 acres. We definitely bought the place for the land, but we've done a lot of remodeling and are starting to really like the house, too. The land has a four-acre, fenced pasture, two-acre fenced (somewhat) landscaped area around the house and then four acres of thick, North Florida hardwood forest behind us. Very private.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
You have any pics? Your place sounds amazing.

Ours is a 1700 sqf ranch in North Florida on 10 acres. We definitely bought the place for the land, but we've done a lot of remodeling and are starting to really like the house, too. The land has a four-acre, fenced pasture, two-acre fenced (somewhat) landscaped area around the house and then four acres of thick, North Florida hardwood forest behind us. Very private.
I'm kinda itching for some room - We've been here or right next door since late '79, and as a kid we moved a bunch. Be nice to be able to go out shooting without driving for miles. Then i think about maintaining a large area.... Grew up with bad fences and wandering cattle, know that blackberries and scotchbroom are just waiting for a chance.. Anyway, here's a couple shots i took this morning, and a few more on Photobucket if you wish. First is the garage from the house, then my desk - i really am a slob! calmloki/Home - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71 walnut 001.jpg (1.15 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 71 walnut 005.jpg (447.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #116
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I'm kinda itching for some room - We've been here or right next door since late '79, and as a kid we moved a bunch. Be nice to be able to go out shooting without driving for miles. Then i think about maintaining a large area.... Grew up with bad fences and wandering cattle, know that blackberries and scotchbroom are just waiting for a chance.. Anyway, here's a couple shots i took this morning, and a few more on Photobucket if you wish. First is the garage from the house, then my desk - i really am a slob! calmloki/Home - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What a beautiful home! Wow!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #117

calmloki, that's an awesome interior.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! We like old stuff - the cool thing is that none of the old moulding, or the staircase, windows, or doors are original to the house. The soft fir floor is the only original part you can see, but it took scraping and dissolving the asphalt adhesive and linoleum off and refinishing to bring it back. It's just an old Oregon farm house, but we spent some time.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

Your place has a ton of character. Great work on all that. I love that board and batten on the barn/garage. Hell, I could easily live in there.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

ok, had to drag out some of the old pics - front, rear, and looking from about where the new staircase is. It was a tad bit rough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img007.jpg (509.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg img008.jpg (87.6 KB, 5 views)