Votes: 1 0.4%
  • more than 7000 sq. ft.but less than 10,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than 10,000 sq. ft.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3000 to 3500 sq. ft

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
Calmloki, Guess we have similar hobbies. The transoms on the windows and doors are great and I really like the half round door. Our current house has a modest dose of window-door transoms and half rounds so I've always been a fan. I'd luv to dig up a half round door like yours at a salvage yard for an upcoming rehab project on a small cottage. Also doing some bumpouts that that will need some engineered beams. How did the gluelam work out? Always inspired by another rehaber:)
The gluelam has been great - it was something like 3"x18" and runs 24' down the middle of the 14' wide original cabin room. It supports the front porch roof and the roof peak wall and has 2x6 upstairs floor joists (under 7' span) in hangers - tile floor in the landing and a big tile shower area and a bunch of loaded storage over the porch which hasn't phased it a bit. Zero shake or bounce. Put it up with those wall jacks that climb married 2x4s. My Mom found the garage half round door at a yard sale - *42"* wide ex-church door for $75. She called to ask if i wanted her to buy it - wull, yeah! The laminated and routed trim over it's arch cost more than that by a fair amount. Did all this stuff in my mid-40s, really wonder how much i would do these days, when money is easier and my fricafraca shoulder surgery continues not to be 100%. I'm a cheap so-and-so, but like good work, so there are some things i know i'd do and some i would hire out - like the sheetrocking and the finish carpentry that was done here. A fantasy of mine continues to be building into and incorporating a cliff face - but i like dry walls, so that's an issue.... My honey likes Spanish architecture and i like Santa Fe style, which would be weird for me since i do 90 and 45 degree stuff rather than organic curve, but we'll see. Too many cool buildings out there....

Last edited:
The gluelam has been great - it was something like 3"x18" and runs 24' down the middle of the 14' wide original cabin room. It supports the front porch roof and the roof peak wall and has 2x6 upstairs floor joists (under 7' span) in hangers - tile floor in the landing and a big tile shower area and a bunch of loaded storage over the porch which hasn't phased it a bit. Zero shake or bounce. Put it up with those wall jacks that climb married 2x4s. My Mom found the garage half round door at a yard sale - *42"* wide ex-church door for $75. She called to ask if i wanted her to buy it - wull, yeah! The laminated and routed trim over it's arch cost more than that by a fair amount. Did all this stuff in my mid-40s, really wonder how much i would do these days, when money is easier and my fricafraca shoulder surgery continues not to be 100%. I'm a cheap so-and-so, but like good work, so there are some things i know i'd do and some i would hire out - like the sheetrocking and the finish carpentry that was done here. A fantasy of mine continues to be building into and incorporating a cliff face - but i like dry walls, so that's an issue.... My honey likes Spanish architecture and i like Santa Fe style, which would be weird for me since i do 90 and 45 degree stuff rather than organic curve, but we'll see. Too many cool buildings out there....

Cool. I've got an engineer doing load calculations on several 15' spans created by these bumpouts we're planning. We'll need to hanger in 2X8 floor joists as well. Like you I take on some things and sub out others, though interior-exterior finish trim is one of my favorite activities. Spanish and SanteFe are styles I haven't even considered. Sounds cool though. We're going from period type colonial (below) to more Craftsman on the next house. Did this last house at 36 and now hitting 50. Definitely felt a bit wimpy working on a 10/12 pitch roof around these 3rd floor dormers last fall.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2501.JPG
    IMG_2501.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom