Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: So How Big IS Your Home?
Less then 500 sq. ft. 5 2.16%
500 to 1000 sq. ft. 19 8.23%
1000 to 1500 sq. ft. 43 18.61%
1500 to 2000 sq. ft. 50 21.65%
2000 to 2500 sq. ft. 48 20.78%
2500 to 3000 sq. ft. 39 16.88%
3500 to 4000 sq. ft. 13 5.63%
4000 to 4500 sq. ft. 9 3.90%
more than 5000 sq. ft. but less than 6000 2 0.87%
more than 6000 sq. ft. but less than 7000 1 0.43%
more than 7000 sq. ft.but less than 10,000 0 0%
more than 10,000 sq. ft. 0 0%
3000 to 3500 sq. ft 2 0.87%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wowie kazowie, what a good fix up job! Is that firewood trying to escape from under the tarp?

Can you take some photos from exactly the same angles for us makeover junkies?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Wowie kazowie, what a good fix up job! Is that firewood trying to escape from under the tarp?

Can you take some photos from exactly the same angles for us makeover junkies?
calmloki/Home - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
K Al, took some to better match the old pics and have them posted on this Photobucket link - your savvy eye might note that the front door swing is changed and we added opening transom hardware. Also ran a big ceiling gluelam beam and dropped the original cabin ceiling down to 9' 1" to match the rest of the downstairs - that gave us more usable level floor to work with upstairs. The old back eight feet of the house was removed and turned into an open porch, some bumpouts for bathroom, laundry, and waterheater, deck added above and two upstairs windows morphed into doors. We're in an historic district, so window dimensions and locations were set - we cheated in the back of the house though and fixed it to suit ourselves.

My brother works in a mill that is shipping shoring timbers up to an Alaska mine - brought me a pickupload of butt trims - be dry next year and goood burning! Some old maple and oak under the tarp.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Fun, thanks.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:30 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Steve R...

Seems you are in a category by yourself.... but I just looked and someone put in one over 5K, so I can not say that you are WAY above everybody else..

But... really you are!!!!

More than 1/3 of the sq. footage is undergrade. Many places don't count that in the total but they do here. The main floor and basement are both over 2500 sq. ft.; the second floor is smaller. I would love to not be in this beast and we are doing all we can to get out of it. My average gas bill in winter is almost $300..sometimes higher depending on the weather. With a 0.67 acres to water that makes for a nasty water bill from May through August.

Our next house will either be around here; but half the size or further South at 2/3 the size. If it were up to me alone...I would live in my RV. Put some family handme downs into storage along with some funtiture which will be needed when the fulltime bug stops itching someday. DW won't hear of it. Short trips of a couple of months are as much as she cares to go. I could really enjoy not being the house slave; gardner, chaufer, handyman, plumber, electrician, auto mechanic, cleaning person, dog keeper, laundry lad, and nurse to DW.

I saw a house on the MLS today...about a mile away...10,000 sq ft and listed for $4MM. Several with my sq footage are listed around $900,000. We will go lover to get a faster sale and less dickering. The improvements were are adding now will help it sell faster, we hope.

My point of starting this tread was not to brag but to give folks a chance to say what they had and why. It is interesting since the mean is around 1500 sq ft so far. That is about what I grew up with; basic 3 small bedrooms, 2 smal bathrooms, family room and kitchen. No basement, no attic. An alcoholic father and two teenage boys who managed not to kill each other or burn down the house.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
calmloki/Home - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
K Al, took some to better match the old pics and have them posted on this Photobucket link - your savvy eye might note that the front door swing is changed and we added opening transom hardware. Also ran a big ceiling gluelam beam and dropped the original cabin ceiling down to 9' 1" to match the rest of the downstairs - that gave us more usable level floor to work with upstairs. The old back eight feet of the house was removed and turned into an open porch, some bumpouts for bathroom, laundry, and waterheater, deck added above and two upstairs windows morphed into doors. We're in an historic district, so window dimensions and locations were set - we cheated in the back of the house though and fixed it to suit ourselves.

My brother works in a mill that is shipping shoring timbers up to an Alaska mine - brought me a pickupload of butt trims - be dry next year and goood burning! Some old maple and oak under the tarp.

Calmloki, Guess we have similar hobbies. The transoms on the windows and doors are great and I really like the half round door. Our current house has a modest dose of window-door transoms and half rounds so I've always been a fan. I'd luv to dig up a half round door like yours at a salvage yard for an upcoming rehab project on a small cottage. Also doing some bumpouts that that will need some engineered beams. How did the gluelam work out? Always inspired by another rehaber
Old 02-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Calmloki, Guess we have similar hobbies. The transoms on the windows and doors are great and I really like the half round door. Our current house has a modest dose of window-door transoms and half rounds so I've always been a fan. I'd luv to dig up a half round door like yours at a salvage yard for an upcoming rehab project on a small cottage. Also doing some bumpouts that that will need some engineered beams. How did the gluelam work out? Always inspired by another rehaber
The gluelam has been great - it was something like 3"x18" and runs 24' down the middle of the 14' wide original cabin room. It supports the front porch roof and the roof peak wall and has 2x6 upstairs floor joists (under 7' span) in hangers - tile floor in the landing and a big tile shower area and a bunch of loaded storage over the porch which hasn't phased it a bit. Zero shake or bounce. Put it up with those wall jacks that climb married 2x4s. My Mom found the garage half round door at a yard sale - *42"* wide ex-church door for $75. She called to ask if i wanted her to buy it - wull, yeah! The laminated and routed trim over it's arch cost more than that by a fair amount. Did all this stuff in my mid-40s, really wonder how much i would do these days, when money is easier and my fricafraca shoulder surgery continues not to be 100%. I'm a cheap so-and-so, but like good work, so there are some things i know i'd do and some i would hire out - like the sheetrocking and the finish carpentry that was done here. A fantasy of mine continues to be building into and incorporating a cliff face - but i like dry walls, so that's an issue.... My honey likes Spanish architecture and i like Santa Fe style, which would be weird for me since i do 90 and 45 degree stuff rather than organic curve, but we'll see. Too many cool buildings out there....
Old 02-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #127
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
The gluelam has been great - it was something like 3"x18" and runs 24' down the middle of the 14' wide original cabin room. It supports the front porch roof and the roof peak wall and has 2x6 upstairs floor joists (under 7' span) in hangers - tile floor in the landing and a big tile shower area and a bunch of loaded storage over the porch which hasn't phased it a bit. Zero shake or bounce. Put it up with those wall jacks that climb married 2x4s. My Mom found the garage half round door at a yard sale - *42"* wide ex-church door for $75. She called to ask if i wanted her to buy it - wull, yeah! The laminated and routed trim over it's arch cost more than that by a fair amount. Did all this stuff in my mid-40s, really wonder how much i would do these days, when money is easier and my fricafraca shoulder surgery continues not to be 100%. I'm a cheap so-and-so, but like good work, so there are some things i know i'd do and some i would hire out - like the sheetrocking and the finish carpentry that was done here. A fantasy of mine continues to be building into and incorporating a cliff face - but i like dry walls, so that's an issue.... My honey likes Spanish architecture and i like Santa Fe style, which would be weird for me since i do 90 and 45 degree stuff rather than organic curve, but we'll see. Too many cool buildings out there....
Cool. I've got an engineer doing load calculations on several 15' spans created by these bumpouts we're planning. We'll need to hanger in 2X8 floor joists as well. Like you I take on some things and sub out others, though interior-exterior finish trim is one of my favorite activities. Spanish and SanteFe are styles I haven't even considered. Sounds cool though. We're going from period type colonial (below) to more Craftsman on the next house. Did this last house at 36 and now hitting 50. Definitely felt a bit wimpy working on a 10/12 pitch roof around these 3rd floor dormers last fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2501.JPG (78.6 KB, 4 views)