Join Early Retirement Today

Re: So, how exactly does this work?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Wow, you and Az appear to have an awful lot in common...
Maybe they are alter egos of some third, as yet undisclosed, guy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It doesn't really matter how many moderators or how many posters were bored with this single thread. It doesn't really matter how many people thought the arguments uninteresting. Clearly, some posters did find the thread worthwhile and were spending their time reading and posting. Is the new criteria for allowing a thread to exist that a majority of posters still find it interesting? I think there are plenty of candidates for lock-down if that's the threshold for thread survival.

If you don't find a thread interesting, don't read it. How hard is that? How weak and pathetic are you? And why would you choose to support the action of lock-down? Is it because you were bored with the thread and didn't want anyone else to post? Do you believe that only your views should be represented? If other's were posting, then someone was interested. If their arguments were circular and boring, that's their business . . . isn't it? You can choose to ignore it. What about the thread required any of you to read the arguments you found so uninteresting and unworthwhile?

The moderators better lock this thread or come up with a more reasonable justification for this action. Otherwise, I fear this thread will turn into a circular argument that is uninteresting to many.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
If you don't find a thread interesting, don't read it. How hard is that? How weak and pathetic are you? And why would you choose to support the action of lock-down? Is it because you were bored with the thread and didn't want anyone else to post? Do you believe that only your views should be represented? If other's were posting, then someone was interested. If their arguments were circular and boring, that's their business . . . isn't it? You can choose to ignore it. What about the thread required any of you to read the arguments you found so uninteresting and unworthwhile?
Its because we are all obese and therefore inclined to blame others for our problems. We love hHitler and Kim Jong Il, too.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Thank you SG, I agree on this point with you. I found the thread interesting.

I don't find any of the political threads interesting and I don't read them.
I would not suggest that they be censored. Similar to how I feel about the annuity threads, since I don't really need any new information on annuities, I skip them.

I generally ignore the rude and obnoxious posts and concentrate on the useful ones. It was, I must confess, rather motivating to hear from the sincere posters on the subject of obesity. It is a shame that it has turned into such a big, hairy deal.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #45

Quote from: sgeeeee on October 10, 2006, 09:35:59 PM
Quote:
Dory's board. Love it or leave it!!!
Nords: You got it.

Sorry. I won't accept that one. My fealing is

Dory's board: Love it? Improve it.

I'll keep trying to do that until you force me off or I find I don't love it anymore. Don't expect me to stop complaining about over moderation when things like this happen.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #46

I was one of those "pathetic" individuals who requested a padlock be thrown on the thread. Page 18 of the conversation was delivering the same message as page 10. The continous yammering on and on and on about points already stated numerous other ways was a waste of bandwidth. That's my opinion, which is OBVIOUSLY shared by others here.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

SG, maybe you need to develop a thinner skin.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
SG, maybe you need to develop a thinner skin.
I actually enjoy reading sgee's posts. He appears witty, smart and knows how provide a good argument when provoked.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I was one of those "pathetic" individuals who requested a padlock be thrown on the thread. Page 18 of the conversation was delivering the same message as page 10. The continous yammering on and on and on about points already stated numerous other ways was a waste of bandwidth. That's my opinion, which is OBVIOUSLY shared by others here.

I just hope you're sorry now.

OBVIOUSLY there are others that share my opinion too. Is this really a case where we want only majority opinion to be heard? Did it hurt you in some way to have others who disagreed with you continue posting?

As much as Martha was shocked and surprised by the attitudes being expressed on the obesity thread, I am shocked and surprised by the attitudes about this form of censure. I really don't understand the attitude some are expressing that seems to be: I was bored with the thread and did not find the arguments stimulating, so I wanted to make sure nobody else could post there.

Then there is the added attitude: Since we are in the majority (at least by post count) you have no viable argument to the contrary. That is really shocking.

Come on, folks. There was no good reason to lock the thread. Admit it and promise to try to better next time.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OBVIOUSLY there are others that share my opinion too.
Great. Then stop bitching and moaning and start an "Obesity II" thread. Then we can see all those people who were having a good time ranking on fat people. Then we can all laugh at the moderators and get on with life.

- George Orwell

Old 10-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Great. Then stop bitching and moaning and start an "Obesity II" thread. Then we can see all those people who were having a good time ranking on fat people. Then we can all laugh at the moderators and get on with life.
I never cared about the obesity thread, Brewer.

I cared about the censure, and that's what this thread is about. You should probably stop reading this thread, Brewer. It is making you angry and the arguments aren't changing. Either that, or you should write a PM to the moderators and get them to lock this thread and protect you from arguments you don't want to read anymore.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I never cared about the obesity thread, Brewer.

I cared about the censure, and that's what this thread is about. You should probably stop reading this thread, Brewer. It is making you angry and the arguments aren't changing. Either that, or you should write a PM to the moderators and get them to lock this thread and protect you from arguments you don't want to read anymore.

Better yet, why don't you take it up with the mods via PM? If that doesn't suit you, I have a host of other, more detailed suggestions for you...

- George Orwell

Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Better yet, why don't you take it up with the mods via PM? If that doesn't suit you, I have a host of other, more detailed suggestions for you...
So. I am concerned that a few vocal posters are able to censure threads by writing PMs to the moderators and your suggestion is that I write the PMs to the moderators.

What I hope I am supplying here is amunition for the moderators to use the next time they are tempted to lock a topic simply because a few posters were bored with it. Now they can point those posters to this thread and ask if they would like to go through this again or would they rather simply stop reading the thread. Wouldn't that be something?

Like I said, Brewer, I suggest you stop reading this thread. You are becoming angry with me and the two of us, in fact, are very much in agreement on most issues. Why fight me? Why support arbitrary censure? Why not just ignore the things that are making you angry?

I have a tremendous advantage in this discussion in that my argument makes far more sense than the argument that "I was bored so I wanted to make everyone stop." I realize my posts are making many angry and uncomfortable, but I really don't want to see this board become comfortable with that attitude.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I think your argument is based on the faulty assumption that we have a democracy here. As I stated a couple of pages ago, this is a benevolent despotism, like it or not.

I am not PO'd; I just cannot fathom why you are bothering to bash your head against the wall over and over and over...

- George Orwell

Old 10-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #55

Quote:
. . .
I am not PO'd; I just cannot fathom why you are bothering to bash your head against the wall over and over and over...
So you think I should have the willpower to stop . . . all by myself?

Can't I expect the moderators to lock me out in order to save me? They were willing to save you and other posters from bashing your heads against the wall of the obesity thread over and over and over ...

And the difference here is . . . ?

Old 10-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I feel like I just stumbled into the alley out behind the bar and found two likable guys going at it! OK guys let's go back inside and have a drink!
Old 10-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So you think I should have the willpower to stop . . . all by myself?

Can't I expect the moderators to lock me out in order to save me? They were willing to save you and other posters from bashing your heads against the wall of the obesity thread over and over and over ...

And the difference here is . . . ?

So I see you hate fat people, too. I hate the way they use up all the Olestra. How about you?

BTW, you will note that I lost interest in the Grandpappy of Obesity threads long before it turned into the hairpulling bunch of third graders it became. I wasn't one of the ones campaigning to lock it since I didn;t really give a rat's ass.

- George Orwell

Old 10-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #58

Quote:
I wasn't one of the ones campaigning to lock it since I didn;t really give a cube_rat's ass.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

As much as Martha was shocked and surprised by the attitudes being expressed on the obesity thread, I am shocked and surprised by the attitudes about this form of censure.

Come on, as Brewer says, if people feel strongly enough that there was more to be said, they can start their own darn thread. But so far no one has. {EDIT, I guess I was wrong} But be forwarned, I'll bet plenty of kayaks and pancakes will appear.

If you want to take the temperature of the waters, start a poll.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

Come on, as Brewer says, if people feel strongly enough that there was more to be said, they can start their own darn thread. But so far no one has. {EDIT, I guess I was wrong}
As I said, I never cared about the obesity thread. I cared about the censure.

Quote:
But be forwarned, I'll bet plenty of kayaks and pancakes will appear.
Nothing wrong with that. At least it is out in the open and not annonymous like PMs to modulators.

Quote:
If you want to take the temperature of the waters, start a poll.
Like I said, I hope we don't start deciding what topics can and cannot be discussed based on majority opinion. That is, in fact, my central point. Did you really not get that?