Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd
A good neighborhood for me offers quiet, privacy, safety, and is located less than 1 hour away from a large city.

Quiet is very important for me. Right now I live in a very noisy neighborhood (constant street noise mostly but the neighbors at least are quiet). It took me a while to get used to it, and I had to sometimes resort to wearing my noise-canceling headphones for hours at a time in order to take a break from it all. Privacy is important as well. I want to be able to enjoy both indoors and outdoors away from prying eyes. Safety is key of course, although I rarely feel unsafe, even in large cities. Finally, I do enjoy the kind of infrastructure offered by larger cities (transportation, healthcare, culture, etc...), so I don't want to live in the boonies either. In summary, a country setting close to a big city would be ideal for me, I think.
I agree with your first sentence, FIRE'd. My residence fits that description. Although, I generally lock the doors and shut the garage, occasionally I forget. It is nice to know when I walk out to get my paper and I notice my garage was left open that I don't have to look and see if anything was stolen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wouldn't feel safe walking in any urban, rural or suburban neighborhood alone after dark no matter how safe it is perceived if there aren't other people doing the same thing. I travelled alone at night in NYC all the time and felt completely safe. There were always tons of people on the trains and the streets.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
It was interesting when we moved from the burbs to the city. Many friends were concern/afraid to come into the neighborhood to visit us. While we were more careful than we were while living in the suburbs, we never felt unsafe. And, nothing has ever happen to us in terms of crime.

It is interesting that my city neighbors always felt very safe and did not understand the 'exaggerated' concerns of many people from the burbs. Most of our neighbors have not been victimized, at least any more than their suburban counterparts. They go out everyday for work, play, dog walking shopping etc. I do not know why the perceptions (and in my opinion reality is so different) but it is really different. Personally, as compared to my suburban friends, I am much more relaxed in those neighborhoods that are perceived by many of them as crime ridden.
In my personal life, I know several people who have expressed feelings that certain areas are "unsafe". This is almost certainly due to racism/prejudice. Many urban areas are much more multi-cultural and it can be scary to those who grew up in a mono-culture.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #24

This is the link our local police recommend for monitoring crime activity in our city.

https://www.crimereports.com

My neighborhood does not have any through streets so traffic is at a minimum. It is pretty quiet and the neighbors keep up their houses and yards. Well . . . there are a couple that don't but I don't live next to them. My wife and I feel comfortable walking our neighborhood at night. I xan walk to shops or UC Berkeley. I can get to downtown San Francisco in 30 minutes if there is no traffic. The temperature is just right for me, not as cold as SF and not as hot as east of the hills. The only thing I might desire is a couple of more rooms in the house and a slightly bigger yard but I have lived here for 30 yrs and really have no complaints.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #25

I think the posters have much better answers to the question than the OP's blogger.

The first two paragraphs really captured my interest. But then it was a big disappointment (a surprise, really) to see the author take a 90-degree, no detours turn into safety as the definer of "good".

Safety and crime are relevant, of course, but they are not anywhere near the top of my criteria for good.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

In San Franicsco, the good and rich neighborhood have a much higher crime rate for burlgary and theft.

That's because the crimes are much more highly to be reported in the rich neighborhood. And thieves like to rob the richs.

Burlgary and theft in Beverly Hill is also quite high compared to the poor areas of LA.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
In San Franicsco, the good and rich neighborhood have a much higher crime rate for burlgary and theft.

That's because the crimes are much more highly to be reported in the rich neighborhood. And thieves like to rob the richs.

Burglary and theft in Beverly Hill is also quite high compared to the poor areas of LA.
I'd sure like to see some evidence for this. It is definitely a cute and appealing theory, but the only places I have ever been burgled were in marginal neighborhoods.

Usually in a crappy neighborhood if it is not nailed down, it is gone.

Ha
Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

While Beverly Hills property crime rate is below the US average...it's still quite high.

Crime in Beverly Hills, California (CA): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics

94123, Marina district

94134 Bayshore(next to housing projects and not a place you want to live close to)

https://www.crimereports.com/

Marina district reported more crimes...but I know I would feel much safer in the Marina district than in Bayshore...sure I'll get robbed and have my car stolen and my apartment burglarized...but I still feel safer than livign in Bayshore
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I'd sure like to see some evidence for this. It is definitely a cute and appealing theory, but the only places I have ever been burgled were in marginal neighborhoods.

Usually in a crappy neighborhood if it is not nailed down, it is gone.

Ha
My experience is that while the organized criminal house robbing gangs do go for the richer areas, it's the teenager down the street door robbing you, regardless of the wealth of the area. I think it depends upon proximity. I live in a lower middle class neighborhood (we went for the LBYM) surrounded by upper middle class and rich neighborhoods. So I expect the teenager down the street to go over there, because it's close.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
My experience is that while the organized criminal house robbing gangs do go for the richer areas, it's the teenager down the street door robbing you, regardless of the wealth of the area. I think it depends upon proximity. I live in a lower middle class neighborhood (we went for the LBYM) surrounded by upper middle class and rich neighborhoods. So I expect the teenager down the street to go over there, because it's close.
I think your experience is representative.
Background checks should be required before anyone is allowed to have a teenager.

(Just kidding... sort of.)
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Proximity definitely has that effect! When a friend of mine went off to college, people were happy to get into the shoddy student housing building next to the rich kid housing complex, because nothing ever got stolen from them when there was such a juicy prospect just next door.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
I wouldn't feel safe walking in any urban, rural or suburban neighborhood alone after dark no matter how safe it is perceived if there aren't other people doing the same thing.
I agree. There's no point in making yourself an easy target.

We've lived in a number of different places over the years. When we were just out of college, just having our own apartment was the important thing! We had 3 apartments in the city (area of ~250K people). Our first house was in the best neighborhood of all and that's where our house was robbed. Now we live on 6 acres, close enough to civilization, but far enough away from the world.

Have to say, we've always tended to keep to ourselves and want neighbors to leave us alone. Want to be able to sit outside with no one bothering me; walk the dog and have a park to take him to so he can run. Need to be within an hour of good medical center and cheap groceries (a la Walmart). Don't want to hear the traffic (trains are OK, just not traffic!)

We're going to be looking for a new place to live in the next couple of years. Arthritic joints need warmer weather and sunshine. I'm going to keep this posting handy. Thanks for the opportunity to put "pen to paper"!

Felix

Felix Mulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Well. Where I live, Scarsdale, does have low crime and I feel quite safe here.

Crime in Scarsdale, New York (NY): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics

Tuckahoe which is close to Scarsdale but lower income has even lower crime. I go there sometimes and I feel less safe there than Scarsdale. So a lot of it might be my impressions of the houses and not based on facts on the ground.

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
kmt1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #34
gone traveling

Good neighbors = Lots of space (many acres) and good fences between us.

Bad neighbors = require a lot more space, better fences and preferably at least one good neighbor between us.