Join Early Retirement Today

So long, 3DTV - we won't miss you
Old 01-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Administrator

So long, 3DTV - we won't miss you

The article also has a picture of the Queen wearing 3D goggles, with the caption "One is moderately entertained..."

So long, 3DTV - we won't miss you - BBC News

Quote:
If there’s one thing history has taught us: technology fails if using it makes you look like a plonker.
Quote:
This week we learned that both LG and Sony have now stopped making 3D-enabled televisions. The firms follow Samsung - the world’s biggest TV maker - who confirmed the move last year. It means there are currently no major manufacturers making 3DTVs.
At this year’s CES trade show, there was barely a whimper of 3D TV, compared to just two years ago when it was being heralded as the next big thing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

No surprise. Gimmicks never seem to tend to last very long. Avatar was amazing in 3D, but I can't think of anything else that really stands out in the 60-70 years the technology has been out.

I wonder how long the curved TVs will be around for next.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hopefully 3D goes the same way on the large screen. Other than a gimmick to add $5 to the price of a ticket I haven't seen a benefit in very many movies and in some the effects are just distracting.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you want to do 3D properly you need an image for each eye. Like the VR headsets or the google pixel or other smart phones set for this. The pixel has too much screen door effect, so you also need a higher res screen as your eye is really close.

The effect is amazing because it's done correctly. Each eye has a slightly different angle and the brain decodes the depth.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

3D glasses (and 3D TVs as well) trigger nausea in many people, some studies peg the number at greater than 50%. Reportedly a higher percentage of women than men are so impacted.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
3D glasses (and 3D TVs as well) trigger nausea in many people, some studies peg the number at greater than 50%. Reportedly a higher percentage of women than men are so impacted.
Add my wife to the nausea list.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Administrator

Not something I'm likely to miss. I like many of the advances in home video, such as large screen TVs, high definition programming, DVDs and now streaming. It's about content, and unfortunately for the 3D manufacturers and early buyers, content wasn't enough. I'm guessing curved screens will follow.

Besides, I am not wearing funny (and uncomfortable) glasses to watch tv.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
No surprise. Gimmicks never seem to tend to last very long. Avatar was amazing in 3D, but I can't think of anything else that really stands out in the 60-70 years the technology has been out.

+1 on the curved TV....

In my house it would make zero difference.... now, once you get to a 200 inch TV and sit 3 feet from it it might make a difference.... but then it is only good for one user...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Those curved ones are too small, and if you are sitting at a bit of an angle, then the curve closest to you makes everything worse. I guess the view is ok if you sit in the middle of the room
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #10

The concept portrayed in "Wild Palms", holographic television, has always appealed to me, even nearly 25yrs after the mini-series premiered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Palms

I think it's on Amazon Prime for those who have it.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Hopefully 3D goes the same way on the large screen. Other than a gimmick to add $5 to the price of a ticket I haven't seen a benefit in very many movies and in some the effects are just distracting.
Anywhere I've been, 3D tickets are double the price.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:

I generally agree but I have another positive example besides Avatar: in the late 90-ies, our family toured a chocolate factory in Broc, Switzerland. The factory/town is located in a valley and permanently sits in this this heavenly chocolate aroma. Now,, against that background, picture the 3D promotional/instructional movie at the start of the tour, and imagine, feeling immersed in a tub of chocolate for 30 minutes straight - unforgettable!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I generally agree but I have another positive example besides Avatar: in the late 90-ies, our family toured a chocolate factory in Broc, Switzerland. The factory/town is located in a valley and permanently sits in this this heavenly chocolate aroma. Now,, against that background, picture the 3D promotional/instructional movie at the start of the tour, and imagine, feeling immersed in a tub of chocolate for 30 minutes straight - unforgettable!