Join Early Retirement Today

Re: So our grandchildren become real SOFT!!
Old 10-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
Lets face it... the root of the problem is we have a double standard.
We want our kid to have the right to beat on other kids. But the minute some other kid touches my kid, then we have a lawsuit. Can't have it both ways. Choose one or the other.
I got in quite a few fights as a kid (surprise - surprise). No one ever considered litigation, or even much complaining. Part of growing up.
As far as I know the worst that happened was a few bloody noses
and hurt feelings. Obviously, my self esteem was not damaged much.

JG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I got in quite a few fights as a kid (surprise - surprise). No one ever considered litigation, or even much complaining. Part of growing up.
As far as I know the worst that happened was a few bloody noses
and hurt feelings. Obviously, my self esteem was not damaged much.

JG
But you were hit in the head a lot, right?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I agree, newguy, it IS nuts.

But I cringe at calling human beings animals as an epithet, OK maybe certain individuals who seem to have burned their human-race card (beheaders). Let's not group all Middle Easterners into a subhuman category--it certainly isn't deserved.

ASIDE
Most Americans were extremely upset by Timothy McVeigh blowing up a govt building, the Unabomber (Ted Kaczynski) blowing up high tech workers/thinkers, and school shootings by white males, but we don't hear all white men being called animals. That seems to be reserved for non-whites, non-Christians, or those of non-Nordic descent. As a female of Italian, Jewish (Middle Eastern, eh), and Slavic descent, I take it personal.
Oh astro get me in a bar after a few drinks White american men? The dumbest sick humans around most voted for Bush!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:10 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My kids played tag growing up. Also, the teachers in their elementary/middle schools are big on hugs. Maybe this is a regional thing (east coast vs. west) or maybe it is one of those phenomena that happens in a limited way but is exaggerated way out of context. My kids go out on Hallowe'en night with their friends and have a ball, by the way. No problem.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
The dumbest sick humans around most voted for Bush!!
Not me.

JG
Old 10-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #26

I'm glad I moved out of the city. Even though it was a conservative area there were still strong influences of liberal thought. Most were the we must not accept any risk, at all, ever thoughts. Life is risk. I can't tell you how many times I've had to investigate the death of someone who died taking their morning constitutional. The ultimate price of life is death. If people are so adverse to taking a risk then think about all of the great accomplishments that would have never happened. ER is a risk. Going without a job or any outside source of income except what you were able to scrape together is a risk.

I'll be disappointed if my kid doesn't break at least one bone in his childhood. (Don't read that to mean I support or encourage his reckless activities)
Old 10-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #27

You have to take some risk to live, We played tackle Football without equipment when I was 10 -11. No body died or got sued. Later I was a big guy and most of the tough crowd wanted to try me and the worst was a few bruises and bangs. If enough things went wrong this keyboard could probably electrocute me.

In some ways those who take the most risk live the best. A young lady was racing nearby a couple of weeks ago and she had her life cut short when a gust of wind caught her chutes at 300 MPH. She put more into life and got more out of life in 17 years than most get in a lifetime.

Quote From CBC News

Canada's close-knit drag racing community was in mourning Monday after one of its brightest stars, a 17-year-old Windsor-area girl, died in a tragic jet-car crash.

Kendall Hebert of Tecumseh, Ont., had moved up the racing ranks quickly and her family had recently received word that the Guinness World Records book had approved the paperwork to declare her the world's fastest female drag racer.

The teen died Sunday afternoon when the jet-powered car she was driving crashed into a concrete barrier at the Toronto Motorsport Track in Cayuga, near Hamilton.

Police believe her vehicle got caught in a cross wind, causing it to smash into a nearby concrete wall, bounce over the barrier then roll several times.

At the time of the crash, there were no other cars on the quarter-mile track. The car had reached a speed of around 480 kilometres an hour, police said.

Hebert was ejected from the car and was later pronounced dead in a hospital in Hagersville.

'Metal part ripped apart'

Family members believe Hebert's death may have been preventable and a malfunctioning seatbelt was at fault.

The vehicle's frame apparently held up quite well considering the impact, said Barry Paton, a fellow race car enthusiast and close family friend.

"The seatbelt, its only purpose in life is to save you in a situation like this and it failed," he said. "The actual metal part ripped apart, and that should not happen."

Paton said seatbelts undergo rigorous testing and the seatbelts in Hebert's new vehicle were around six weeks old.

He believes if Hebert had not been ejected from the car, she may have survived.

A family of racers

Grief counsellors were on hand Monday to speak to Hebert's classmates at her high school in Belle River, a small community located near Windsor.

She was remembered as an outgoing girl who had a zest for life.

"She had a great spirit," said Dan Fister, principal at the school. "In speaking with Kendall, she always talked about racing."

Coming from a family of racers that spanned three generations, Hebert began racing at the young age of eight years old.

She graduated from a junior drag racing league, a prerequisite for young drivers, and was quickly moving up the ranks.

The teen had recently begun working toward getting her licence to drive jet-engine cars, and was driving a test lap Sunday to gain experience.

The preceeding example my be extreme but you have to take risks to enjoy life and life with too many rules is not life

Bruce
Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #28

I can't see the point of "extreme" sports, either... but it's interesting what popularity they hold (given the no-tag-playing crowd). Maybe it is an over-reaction or over-compensation?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote