Join Early Retirement Today

Re: So what are we driving?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
had you just waited until the vertibles came out you could have combined the two and saved some garage space...

curiously, the 7 winds up being worth about the same as the 3 after 3 to 5 years because anyone who can afford to pay for any of that technology that goes bad can afford a new 7. the 5 vertible is a gorgeous car though. don't think i'll ever have the portfolio for that.
Funny you say that, a friend of mine just scored an amazing deal on a 7 series. It was 3 years old with 45 thousand miles and he bought it from a private party for $31,500. This was a car that stickered for over $75K!

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #82

ya, i was kidding. that s2000 is a little rocket. i'd get one but i can only afford to have one car and i'm planning a few years of cross-country road trips. i think the vertible 3 series will be perfect for me. is more than i want to spend but i think it is going to be a great car. also my timing sucks because my lease is up in a few weeks but the 3 isn't at the dealers yet and they already have a waiting list. i'm going to extend my lease the max two extra months & hope the new car is out by then.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
How did I miss this thread? I love cars!!!!

I'm driving a 2007 BMW 335i (with the twin turbos)

Damn... twin turbo from the factory... hooey. That would be a hoot to drive.

I remember reading, not too long ago, about a new VW that came with a supercharger and a turbo (I think to strengthen the power curve... due to turbo lag). Looked kinda bitchin'....

I saw a used black C6 Vette for sale at the local FoMoCo dealer on the way to work today. Hubba Hubba ---- DRiP Guy... that one of yours make my heart go pitter-patter
Old 03-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie

DRiP Guy... that one of yours make my heart go pitter-patter
I really enjoy it.

I know we should separate possible self-delusion and rationalization from the human 'hey, I just want it!" urges that we give into, but honestly, I don't think it is too big an extravagance - mine is the 'stripped' version*, and I got a super deal (40K 'out the door' new) which is pretty much what a darn SUV goes for these days, but I get both 29MPg and 400 HP! I was a bit worried that the run flat tires would wear down too easily, but so far I have 30K on mine, and they have lots of tread left. I do my own oil changes, and the only thing that needed to be repaired so far was a roof issue, under warranty. So, all in all, I figure if I have to navigate crazy traffic every day, at least I am going to enjoy myself doing it!

*stripped in vette terms pretty much means no nav, no premium sound.
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/features/

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #85

Just got a 2007 Subaru Forester last month....I absolutely love driving it
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine
Just got a 2007 Subaru Forester last month....I absolutely love driving it
Amazing. I was going to ask if anyone had a Forester. When I FI/RE, I am thinking of places like Colo, and other areas that get four seasons, and because I will not need a full size SUV, and I may be out of my sports car phase by then, that is exactly the car I was thinking of. Full time SWD, correct? Effecient, but relatively comfortable?

I am 6' 3" and 'big boned' -- do you think it has sufficient head, hip and leg room?

If it is not too much too ask, what did yours go for, and how was it equipped?

My only former SUV type vehicle was a '96 Rodeo and while I liked it, it was only 2WD, and was a very narrow wheel track, combined with a tall profile, and relatively light, so not ideal combo for mountain passes...

My current 2WD truck is similarly not a good selection I would think, due to light rear end and no four wheel drive.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
It is an awesome car. Every day that I arrive to work in one piece it's a miracle. It loves to be driven hard (and fast) but at the same time it's not too harsh and it gets 30mpg on the highway. The build quality is good, although I don't think is good as the previous 3 series. In a straight line the car is a beast and will easily run a 0-60 in under 5 seconds (mine is a manual) I've never run a quarter mile in it, but I know several of the car mags have and hit the trap at well over 100mph.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy
Amazing. I was going to ask if anyone had a Forester. When I FI/RE, I am thinking of places like Colo, and other areas that get four seasons, and because I will not need a full size SUV, and I may be out of my sports car phase by then, that is exactly the car I was thinking of. Full time SWD, correct? Effecient, but relatively comfortable?
I have one. I know some 6' guys who say it fits them fine and others who aren't comfortable. It fits me perfectly, but I'm 5'3" and 105lbs partially pregnant.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
I have one. I know some 6' guys who say it fits them fine and others who aren't comfortable. It fits me perfectly, but I'm 5'3" and 105lbs partially pregnant.
Is partially pregnant like "kinda of pregnant"? Not quite, but "kinda"
Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

I define partially as barely out of the first trimester and haven't gained any weight yet!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #91

Oh, you're still in the nausea stage :P Congrats, BTW!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
do you happen to know much about the drive system?

I guess I could plunge in and do some net searches,and I had that on my long term "to do" list, but is it just one of those things that never breaks, or does it require a lot of fluid changes,, or have their been issues? I know Suburu has been on the vanguard ( ) of developing full time AWD, so I am not too nervous, but I just don't know of any quirks or 'history' that an actual owner might be able to share...

Old 03-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #93

2002 Honda Odyssey 130,000 miles
2002 Subaru WRX 60,000 miles

(retired from my 911 days)
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Is partially pregnant like "kinda of pregnant"? Not quite, but "kinda"
Florida. 2000 election. Partially pregnant chads.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
do you happen to know much about the drive system
I'm no mechanic, but my father has had subarus since 1977, and this Forester is my 3rd. We usually buy them used and run them well into the 200,000-300,000 mile range before retiring them. My husband also has a Subaru. I bought my Forester new and have 89,000 miles on it. My family has never had any major problems with any of them. Change the belts when you're supposed to (I think they say approx every 100,000 miles now), and once you are beyond 150,000 you might have to deal with a CV joint and/or boot issue.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #96

I love my vehicles...

My "hotrod" and daily driver is a 99 Jeep Wrangler that is supercharged (and legal!) - about 316hp and still gets around 15mpg as long as I don't get leadfooted.

A 4 door 02 Chevy Silverado for the camper and all the stuff we need to haul etc- great for skiing - just throw the skiis etc in the back and go.

Just got a 98 Plymouth town and country all wheel drive - will be good for errands and good vehicle for my daughter to learn drivin.... :P

I am selling my bike this spring - VTX1800 - getting to much heat from wife, daugher and mother since my accident. I will get another when the kids are launched.

2 ATVs for getting into the backcountry - maybe 3 after the bike sells
Old 03-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #97

2003 Impala

'91 Acclaim.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #98

The photo shows that...

Yes if you do have the right car you do get the girl !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GreatCar.jpg (60.3 KB, 19 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb GreatCar.jpg_thumb (22.1 KB, 0 views)
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
do you happen to know much about the drive system?

I guess I could plunge in and do some net searches,and I had that on my long term "to do" list, but is it just one of those things that never breaks, or does it require a lot of fluid changes,, or have their been issues? I know Suburu has been on the vanguard ( ) of developing full time AWD, so I am not too nervous, but I just don't know of any quirks or 'history' that an actual owner might be able to share...

Mine is still pretty new, and it is my first one- but so far it is trouble free and fun to drive. Half the cars in the rural town where I have been living are Subarus- everybody I know is happy with them. The Forester drivers like the turbo and the AWD when they go over the mountains.

I mostly stay home when there is snow around, but the few times I have been caught out the Subaru AWD has performed well.

My only complaint is that compared to my former Acura the Sub interior is pretty pedestrian, and they are not exactly beautiful on the outside either.

Ha
Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #100

2000 Dodge Stratus free & clear...91K miles now

gonna ride it until the nickle & diming begin

believe it or not, love this car - it was my one and only BRAND NEW lot - all but 6 of the miles are mine!