Join Early Retirement Today

So what does AMEX know?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

So what does AMEX know?

I'm sure most have heard about AMEX offer to certain card holders who hold a balance: They'll give you $300 if you pay off the balance and close the account.

American Express' $300 Deal Shows Industry Trend : NPR

This seems to be a smart, proactive move considering $300 is a relatively small amount to remove card holders who they consider a high risk of default.

What I find interesting however is they have a similar offer to AMEX Business card holders. It looks like they have offered to refund large portions of the interest that has already been paid by the card holder provided they pay off the card. Some people on the net have received offers of refunds in the thousands.

This is a little troubling. It seems to indicate that AMEX thinks things will REALLY hit the fan very soon so they want to clear the books. The $300 offer seems to be a good idea for them, but when they start giving back interest payments in the thousands.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:37 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seems odd to me. I would imagine they'd have a huge adverse selection problem.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I look at it this way: Let's say you "invested" $10,000 in some entity that had no collateral or equivalent to FDIC insurance.

And let's say you're hearing a lot of reports and seeing data that suggest the entity where you deposited said $10,000 is getting weaker and weaker, and if they go under, you lose everything.

You CAN pull your money out now, but there's a $300 "early withdrawal penalty," sort of like a 3% surrender charge.

Do you eat the $300 fee to ensure the safety of the rest of your money? Or do you stick it out and hope for the best, knowing you could lose it all?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
If I had an AMEX card and they offered me $300, I'd take the deal in a heartbeat. It's not like I only have one CC and AMEX is somehow unique in it's services.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote