So what will be the benefit? She asked.

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I told her I had arranged to see a couple houses in a nearby well established 55 and older gated community. She asked "what are the benefits" I answered.
1. The taxes on casa RayinPenn are 10 grand a year.. there half that.
2. For a couple hundred a month they shovel the snow and mow the lawn and take care of the pool.
3. Security (we recently installed cameras and see all approaches - moats are out of the question) more and more I like those 'gates' in those gated communities
4. Turn key - when we travel we just lockup and go.
5. More oldsters, like us.
6. One good knee ray (the metal one) likes the thought of that first floor Bedroom.

"You could get a mowing service" ..."yeah I could but I don't want to. " it occurred to me here, among the stately homes, there is very little sense of community.

I said let's just look ... she agreed...
Like to add to my list? Post an opposing view?

Last edited:
Are the 55+ houses in the same school district?

Here in NJ, the owners of 55+ homes pay just as much.

Are the 55+ houses in the same school district?

Here in NJ, the owners of 55+ homes pay just as much.

One town away.. but they have more industry and the homes are a bit smaller...

We are not in a 55+ community, by definition, but in reality most of us are. We have a one story town home (unfinished basement), 2 car garage, mowing, snow shoveling, staining of the exterior all included. They rebuilt the tie-wall with stone. Private patio.

If you consider the cost of paying for the above, plus having an indoor and outdoor pool, plus the association covers insurance for the structure (studs out), $225/ month does not sound so expensive.

YMMV, but it works for us.

"You could get a mowing service" ..."yeah I could but I don't want to. "
I guess it could be inconvenient to find a good mowing service. At the 55+ community they will decide what mowing service to use and arrange it for you. You will not have to bother with having any choices to make.

We have a lawn guy that has mowed for F's family for 50 years or so. That's what he does for a living; he mows dozens of lawns each week. Percy is reliable, honest, and a genuinely worthy person who works very hard. Frankly I like employing someone like him. And, if someone is going to be in my back yard when I am not home, I'd rather it was Percy. We mow all year around here, and I pay him by the mow but it adds up to around $1,400/year at $35/mow. He mows every week except every two weeks in the dead of winter, and he skips mowing when it is raining.

As for the other factors you mentioned, I agree, you have got to get out from under that $10,000 property tax! That's got to be a huge burden to anyone's budget, I would think.

Last edited:
I guess it could be inconvenient to find a good mowing service.....
As for the other factors you mentioned, I agree, you have got to get out from under that $10,000 property tax! That's got to be a huge burden to anyone's budget, I would think.

It isn't the 'inconvenience'- my son best friend is a mows 20 lawns or so. It is looking out the window and seeing someone else mowing my lawn. And the painful admission that I now longer can, want to or should. I've mowed one way or another for 50 years ...even with my John Deere it has lost its magic.. I'm told without work the lawn, the snow aren't big deals. Perhaps it is the change I seek.

Last edited:
It isn't the 'inconvenience'- my son best friend is a mows 20 lawns or so. It is looking out the window and seeing someone else mowing my lawn. And the painful admission that I now longer can, want to or should. I've mowed one way or another for 50 years ...even with my John Deere it has lost its magic.. I'm told without work the lawn, the snow aren't big deals. Perhaps it is the change I seek.

If the homeowner's association arranges for your lawn to be mowed, you are going to look out the window and see someone else mowing your lawn, too.

I was reluctant to stop mowing when I did (back when I was in my mid 50's), but a friend at work pointed out that older people actually have heart attacks and die if they mow in the New Orleans heat. And honestly, at that age I could only mow either the back or front yard in that heat before I needed to quit. So, both Saturday and Sunday were shot. I decided to quit mowing and join a gym.

Usually I am occupied with other things and don't spend any time watching Percy mow. He's done and gone pretty fast.

I pay a local business to mow, about $1100 per year but that's weekly cuts for 6 months, and on a 2-week schedule the rest. On a corner lot with about a 1/4 acre it's well worth it to save me the time and equipment. Also, S Fla makes that a sweaty hell of a job about half the year. It's the best check I write, and one I have no problem with at all.

But Ray, to sell your wife, you need to think of the less tangible benefits for her. Is there a club? Social life? Walking distance restaurants? What does she love and what angle would appeal to her?

Yeah, does she want to move or is she happy where she is?

You may be in for far more misery...if Mama's not happy, nobodies happy - :)

We are not in a 55+ community, by definition, but in reality most of us are.

I never thought of it but now that you mention it, everyone in our neighborhood--30 houses on each side of us--are over 55.

We moved to a 55 and over community 5 years ago just after I turned 55. My husband (just 53 at the time) was the driving force. We love it here. It's a Sun City development with many perks. We pay $118 a month for homeowner association fees which includes the 2 large gyms, 4 swimming pools and various walking trails and community center. There are over 200 clubs to join for nominal fees (needle arts - crochet, quilt, knit, jewelry making, water color painting, yoga classes, water volleyball teams (110 members), softball, pickleball, bocce ball, etc. There's the stock market group and geneology group, various book clubs, card groups, ping pong...on and on. If you don't like any of that, nobody makes you join. We found that our old house (2 stories - all bedrooms upstairs and swimming pool that no one swam in was a waste of money and time to upkeep plus the neighborhood wasn't cohesive. Our house here is all 1 story and we do maintain the front yard but may do a low maintenance type yard eventually. Back yard is low maintenance already. The restaurant and sports bar are delicious and inexpensive. Life is great here! There's a golf course here that is not included in homeowner fees but there's discounts for residents who want to play. We also have a golf cart to cruise around in. Our kids love this house when they visit. It's a lot more conducive to entertaining with 2 master bedrooms in opposite sides of house and a casita (another bedroom near the front entrance). Neighbors are friendly and people keep up their homes (they have to - CC&Rs). Best decision we ever made!

Same here, for the most part. I really like my neighborhood.

Same here - neighborhood opened up 25-30 years ago and filled up with young families/kids. So, pretty much everyone in their 50-ies and 60-ies now. Very little turnover.

You have posted more then a few times that you want to leave your current area for warmer weather, so what would the benefit of relocating twice? If you are not sure where you are going to end up it's going to cost you a lot more money.

I told her I had arranged to see a couple houses in a nearby well established 55 and older gated community. She asked "what are the benefits" I answered.
1. The taxes on casa RayinPenn are 10 grand a year.. there half that.
2. For a couple hundred a month they shovel the snow and mow the lawn and take care of the pool.
3. Security (we recently installed cameras and see all approaches - moats are out of the question) more and more I like those 'gates' in those gated communities
4. Turn key - when we travel we just lockup and go.
5. More oldsters, like us.
6. One good knee ray (the metal one) likes the thought of that first floor Bedroom.

"You could get a mowing service" ..."yeah I could but I don't want to. " it occurred to me here, among the stately homes, there is very little sense of community.

I said let's just look ... she agreed...
Like to add to my list? Post an opposing view?

Technically, our Florida winter condo is not 55+ but many of the owners are 55+ ... no families that I am aware of... the kids we see are visitors.

Are there amenities ray? Ours has a very large pool and there is water aerobics at 9 am on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Men's poker is on Tuesday afternoons. The women plan mah-jonng on Wednesdays and there is a community cocktail party on Wendesdys as well. We have a golf league that plays at a nearby golf course on Thursdays and the women play cards on Thursday afternoons.

I say the benefit of our association is a really nice sense of community... all are welcome to the activities but if people prefer not to participate that is fine too.

SF is 60% of our main home, property taxes are 30% of our in home, HOA fees cover grounds, outside maintenance, water, sewer and basic cable for ~$300/month.

Today, I wouldn't want to live in a place where everyone is 55+.

I however like ever other point you've made. At some point, we'll move to an apartment, but right now, we're still enjoying our house.

You have posted more then a few times that you want to leave your current area for warmer weather, so what would the benefit of relocating twice? If you are not sure where you are going to end up it's going to cost you a lot more money.

1) I've got a daughter graduating college in a few days, her job is about 40 minutes away from our present home.
2) my son will start state u in September if I move add 10 a year grand to the cost for an out of state tuition.

I may have to settle for snow birding it for a while.

But just because you snowbird doesn't mean that you need to keep the big expensive house up north. You could have a smaller house or townhouse/condo in PA that is your principal residence and another in a warmer spot that is your winter getaway.

Have you tried out Find Your Spot?

But just because you snowbird doesn't mean that you need to keep the big expensive house up north. You could have a smaller house or townhouse/condo in PA that is your principal residence and another in a warmer spot that is your winter getaway.

Have you tried out Find Your Spot?

And, if the smaller house or townhouse/condo was close to the university that his son is going to attend, maybe he could let the son stay in it and take care of it while he is down south. That could help cut back on the college costs a little maybe?

Good idea for some but I do think an important part of the college experience is being away from mom and dad and living on your own, relying yourself and learning how to live and get along with others.

Good idea for some but I do think an important part of the college experience is being away from mom and dad and living on your own, relying yourself and learning how to live and get along with others.
Well, then I got the full college experience myself, for sure.

When I lived in College Station, Texas, I was surprised at how many parents from other parts of the Texas bought a house in College Station for their college aged kids. I guess it was cheaper than paying rent for those who had several kids in college at once.

When I lived in College Station, Texas, I was surprised at how many parents from other parts of the Texas bought a house in College Station for their college aged kids. I guess it was cheaper than paying rent for those who had several kids in college at once.

One of my cousins did that for his daughter when she was going to Shepherd College (now Shepherd University) in Shepherdstown, WV. He bought a townhouse about five miles away and she commuted. She also rented out the two other bedrooms to two other students and that either completely covered the mortgage or at least a good part of it, I forget.

After she graduated she stayed in the house for a while and my cousin later sold it with some profit but not a lot. So in effect her housing while in college was either free or nearly so. Of course the utilities were not free and I think she had a part time job to at least partially cover those.

Back
Top Bottom