So..........When will Exxon Let me Buy This in the USA??

FinanceDude said:
Like guys with a Beemer and an S2000............. :D :D

Sorry.................. :LOL: :LOL:

I have NO problems driving my 4 cylinder Accord...........just got 29.5 mpg on my last tankful with a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving.......... :D

Most beemers today are not 4 cyl... and a S2000 has a 200HP engine... not like the ones in Europe...

As an example, the Accord in the UK came with a 1.8 liter engine or you could buy the BIGGER 2.0 liter... we got a 2.4 and 3.0 V6...

Another help overseas is there are a lot of manual transmission which get better gas mileage... even though that is getting less of a benefit..

I think that the diesels would be a good way to go... but I don't know if their particulates have been reduced... if so, then great... if not, I am not sure..

saluki9 said:
Why? To date the hybrid technology has been anything but impressive. All the hybrid equipment does is add weight and cost. You could accomplish just about the same thing with smaller displacement engines but PEOPLE DON'T LIKE TO DRIVE THEM.

I don't think that is accurate. The motor/battery in a hybrid provides a boost to acceleration for a car with a small displacement engine. You get better overall performance with an even smaller engine. And, the regenerative braking reclaims energy that would be wasted as heat - a non-hybrid cannot do that (do hot brake pads contribute to global warming?<j/k>).

And, if people do not like to drive cars with small displacement engines, then nothing is accomplished is it? The hybrid can combine efficiency with good acceleration, and is flexible enough to pull some tricks to further lower pollution, like stopping the engine at a red light.

Now, if you state that hybrids are not economically impressive, you have an arguable point, IMO.

to the OP - what the heck does Exxon have to do with this? Are we back to conspiracy theories?

-ERD50

ERD50 said:
Ito the OP - what the heck does Exxon have to do with this? Are we back to conspiracy theories?

-ERD50

Yes................. :LOL: :LOL:

ERD50 said:
Now, if you state that hybrids are not economically impressive, you have an arguable point, IMO.

Yep. Hybrids are technological marvels, but not as economical as run-of-the-mill econocars.

I look forward to the day when a Toyota Prius is as economical as the Corolla, over a long term, say 10 years. I would even settle for a 15 year break even period.

Everyone remember why Exxon is called Exxon? IIRC, the original name, Esso, meant "breakdown" is some foreign language. So Esso paid megabucks to a consultant to come up with a name that had no negative connotation in other languages. They guy came up with "Exxon" because there was no word with double Xs in it.

TromboneAl said:
Everyone remember why Exxon is called Exxon? IIRC, the original name, Esso, meant "breakdown" is some foreign language. So Esso paid megabucks to a consultant to come up with a name that had no negative connotation in other languages. They guy came up with "Exxon" because there was no word with double Xs in it.

Hmm... Interesting. I did not know that. Esso was very popular in VN before 1975.

I know that GM had problem with there Nova (no go) sedan, and had to change the name in certain markets.

TromboneAl said:

It was not only Esso... here in Texas (at least Houston) it was Humble... and I think there were a few other names...

Surprisingly, you can still see some Esso signs overseas... I assume they are still part of Exxon..

I get 48-49 MPG in my diesel VW Jetta. It has a lot of torque and is fun to drive.

Looks like diesel fuel is finally cheaper than gas, too.

Bimmerbill said:
Looks like diesel fuel is finally cheaper than gas, too.

I watch gas prices closely and it seems to flip-flop with gas being cheaper some days, then diesel being cheaper other days. The good thing about diesel is you can make you own fuel, if you want to go through the hassle. I've seen people claim it cost them about $.20 per gallon to make a passable fuel for their diesel engines. Assuming these people estimate low, it is still seems cheaper to make it rather then buy it. It is kind of difficult to make gasoline.

lets-retire said:
I watch gas prices closely and it seems to flip-flop with gas being cheaper some days, then diesel being cheaper other days. The good thing about diesel is you can make you own fuel, if you want to go through the hassle. I've seen people claim it cost them about $.20 per gallon to make a passable fuel for their diesel engines. Assuming these people estimate low, it is still seems cheaper to make it rather then buy it. It is kind of difficult to make gasoline.

Any info on how to make??

Texas Proud said:
Any info on how to make??

There are many web pages that give information on mixing biodiesel. There are also several places that will convert a diesel engine to run on vegetable oil and use diesel only on startup and shut down. Both of these do have drawbacks, but it's still cheaper than buying fuel and easier than making gasoline.

Texas Proud said:
On a quick read... seems like to much trouble for the little you get... if you don't have a process that is more 'hand off'.... then this is not for me...

BTW, where would you get cheap vegtable oil anyhow:confused:

There is another way (maybe in those links too, I did not get to look yet). All you do is filter the used cooking oil (from restaurants), fill your tank - no other work to do - to the fuel....

The downside is, you do need to modify the vehicle, but it is pretty simple. A small tank for regular diesel to start and stop on. The main tank holds the cooking oil. The problem is, regular cooking oil is too viscous for use in a regular diesel *until* you warm it up a bit. So they just run the cooking oil through a coil heated by engine coolant. But you do need to start *and* stop when you are switched over to regular diesel, then switch to cooking oil when the car is warmed up, or you will leave the lines full of cooking oil and you won't start.

So, simple, but not so simple. Oh, and it will void your warranty (at least engine and fuel related stuff).

I think it would be better as home heating oil (some links on that in there too).
More info in here, I think -

http://www.biodieselnow.com/default.aspx

edit - or try:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cooking+oil+conversion+diesel&btnG=Google+Search

-ERD50

Yep, and if you like the smell of french fries you'll probably think you died and went heaven every time you switch over to the used cooking oil from MacDonald's. And don't forget that you're honor bound to send in any state and Federal fuel tax for home made fuel used on public roads. But if you're from Texas and mostly drive around in a circle in the backyard with the windows rolled down, don't worry about anything except the kerosene on your pants cuffs ;).

I really do like diesels. The only servicing that I've needed with the Jetta in the first 70K miles have been oil changes and brake light and blinker bulbs that burn out regularly. I'm supposed to have the timing belt replaced soon, but I'll wait for about 90-100K miles on the odometer.

With the new diesel engines, I think it would be better than a gas.... but there are not any being sold today...

I would love to get a diesel HYBRID... now, would that be a good combo?? Maybe diminishing returns... and maybe they can not stop and start like the gas ones can...

I'm supposed to have the timing belt replaced soon, but I'll wait for about 90-100K miles on the odometer.

Don't wait on the timing belt. Do a little reading on www.tdiclub.com if you are not familiar with the site.

New diesels are on the way, 2008 to 2009 model years will be all state compliant.

Bimmerbill: Thanks. Wonderful site. I've always assumed that my Jetta wouldn't be hurt (valve damage) if the timing belt broke on the road--at worst a tow job to the dealer/mechanic. But it appears not.

Texas Proud said:
With the new diesel engines, I think it would be better than a gas.... but there are not any being sold today...

I would love to get a diesel HYBRID... now, would that be a good combo?? Maybe diminishing returns... and maybe they can not stop and start like the gas ones can...

I suspect we'll have to wait a few years for that one. I've always hoped for the same thing. But I suspect that with the diesel engine significantly heavier than an equivalent gas one, plus the weight of storage batteries and electric motors on the wheels, that the weight of such a vehicle may just be too much--losing a lot of efficiency in the complexity and redundancy of the thing. Maybe lighter batteries and perhaps an aluminum alloy diesel engine may be in the works some day?

I would prefer either a smallish, four cylinder diesel minivan or a smaller (Toyota Tacoma size) four-five cylinder diesel truck with some decent towing capacity--plus decent mileage--as my ONLY or primary vehicle.

Bimmerbill said:
Don't wait on the timing belt. Do a little reading on www.tdiclub.com if you are not familiar with the site.

Good advice. Anybody that has experienced a Valve busting Timing belt
break isn't likely to forget the experience. ;)

Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion.

Our 3 cars each have well over 100,000 miles on them, but the fact that I've replaced the timing belt in all of them gives me some ammunition to counter my wife's idea of reliability. :D

From an editorial I read today...

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist’s nightmare.

“The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside,” said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven’t even got to the best part yet.

When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.

Back
Top Bottom