Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: which car should I let my kid drive?
Let her drive the Miata!! 14 31.82%
Sell the Miata and buy a HumVee or a 'safe' practical car 16 36.36%
tell her to take the bus or still haul her tush around like a good dad. 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's always this approach (from a "Who's The Boss" episode) -

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 Something safe.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #43

One last thought. Which car or what car do you want her friends (or boyfriend) to drive?. While you may have rules that no one else is to drive the car...they will. Some may want to "just try" the stick for grins. Some will get really good at it

We had the rule. Found out several years later (way after the fact) ......that "the little accident" that required a bumper and rear light happened while a friend was driving her vehicle. Just glad no one was hurt.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I wouldn't be worried about the Miata's crash worthiness.
I'd be worried about the Miata's handling.
A rear wheel drive car for a new young driver is bad news.

I'd also like to protect the miata. I agree with an above poster's suggestion, a beige camry or a used focus. Something in the $5k or less range.
Not a civic, civics have insurance rates.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #45

Snow and ice shouldn't be a huge problem near Seattle. Aside from that I don't see an advantage to front vs rear drive. Can you elaborate, ikonomore?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought each of my daughters a used honda accord as their first car. For my son, a used midsize truck. I wanted something safe, reliable, but not too small.

The miata, IMO, is just too small. Physics goes against it in a collision with another, likely bigger car. If it is a large SUV, then it would be crushed.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

WA has special rules for teen drivers
WA State Licensing: Teens

During the first six months, no passengers except family, and then only one. No cell phone use with or without hands-free setup.

As a former (in one of my jobs) underwriter, the last thing you want is any teenager in a little convertible stickshift sports car. Over 80% of teens get into a wreck in the first six months of driving. A wreck is almost a certainty. So, think of your child's safety first. I suggest an old Volvo 240. Like a tank, underpowered, very safe.
Depending on who you are insured with, putting a teen in a miata might get your insurance non-renewed. And, even if accepted, astronomical rates.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
WA has special rules for teen drivers
WA State Licensing: Teens

During the first six months, no passengers except family, and then only one. No cell phone use with or without hands-free setup.

As a former (in one of my jobs) underwriter, the last thing you want is any teenager in a little convertible stickshift sports car. Over 80% of teens get into a wreck in the first six months of driving. A wreck is almost a certainty. So, think of your child's safety first. I suggest an old Volvo 240. Like a tank, underpowered, very safe.
Depending on who you are insured with, putting a teen in a miata might get your insurance non-renewed. And, even if accepted, astronomical rates.
This is my opinion also. All the stuff about handling, awareness etc is mostly Brock Yates talk. I have been in 2 bad wrecks in my life. Neither was my fault, and both on surface roads- the last one on rural Washington roads similar to what HK is describing. Last one totally destroyed my car, stretched my belts, and the airbags saved me. Here's what most > 1 car wrecks are like. You see something out of the corner of your eye, then bang! you feel a giant impact, then you hang on to the wheel, notice the airbag, feel the pain in your chest and ribs and really really hope that you are conscious when you stop flying around.

People have funny ideas, and they are free to practice them and also put them onto their kids. My brother drove a Miata for 15 years, and 1/4 of his time behind the wheel he was impaired. Yet he had not one accident. Lady Luck usually smiles.

Ha
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Most trucks are RWD and tend to be slip and slide in slippery weather. FWD is more stable and AWD is ever more surefooted. My view would be that FWD or AWD would be best of an inexperienced driver.

Rather than sell the Miata, if you can swing it perhaps you can get her an older Subie or even a Baja (Subaru car/pickup) which is pretty solid, sure-footed but still cool (at least to my eye).
I'm sticking with my thought on getting a truck.

You can always get another car when the kid heads to college. At that point, I would be very open minded and get something that got better gas mileage and was in good shape, and you get to keep the truck.

Everybody "needs" an old truck. I'm so not looking forward to two days in my future: the day my dog leaves me and the day my truck leaves me.