Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

What do you use it for mostly?
I have started watching a LOT of videos - this is the latest thing. With headphones it's awesome for watching videos.
I am curious about the videos. Do you stream them? Download them? Free? Purchased? I have thought about using a pad or my Nook Color for videos for watching on planes but I haven't paid much attention to sources. I am particularly interested in free sources -- after all, I am ERd.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

On my laptop I just think and the words appear. But I have gotten much faster with two thumbs on my iPod touch. I wrote this paragraph in 57 seconds.

More importantly, it's gotten to the point that it is almost effortless to type. Or perhaps i should say, no longer annoying. It's very weird that the thumbs just know where to go.

Also you learn to take advantage of the auto completion and correction features.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I have a 32gb iPad wifi that DH bought me for my birthday last fall. What he didn't know was that my birthday was a week before I retired and I came home the same day with an iPhone to replace my megacorp phone. So we were worried that the iPad would be redundant. Quite the contrary.

I had always wanted a computer in the kitchen to look up recipes, cooking techniques, etc., but I'm not a particularly neat cook so I was worried about it getting trashed. The iPad is the PERFECT kitchen computer.
I assume you have the Epicurious app for the iPad? It is such a great app--and I love the shopping list feature, too. I made some recipes from it for a party last weekend and they were fantastic.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

iPad thumb syndrome?

If we had two more hands (maybe branching off from our current elbows), it would make typing on the iPad a breeze. They could fold up against the current arm and hand until needed, then be pulled out and activated when an iPad is being used.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

For folks who like the idea of an iPad, but also need to type significant lengths occasionally, I suggest a bluetooth keyboard. I like the Targus keyboard:
Amazon.com: Targus Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard for Apple iPad 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WiFi and WiFi + 3G, iPad 2 with Smart Keys AKB32US (Black): Electronics

There are also cases that include a keyboard, effectively making the iPad a netbook-style device while in the case. I haven't tried any of these yet.

Amazon.com: Kensington 2nd Generation KeyFolio Bluetooth Keyboard Accessory Case for Apple iPad 2 2nd Generation WiFi / 3G Model 16GB, 32GB, 64GB NEWEST MODEL & for Apple iPad 1 OLDER ORGINAL MODEL (Black): Electronics
Old 06-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

There are also cases that include a keyboard, effectively making the iPad a netbook-style device while in the case. I haven't tried any of these yet.

Amazon.com: Kensington 2nd Generation KeyFolio Bluetooth Keyboard Accessory Case for Apple iPad 2 2nd Generation WiFi / 3G Model 16GB, 32GB, 64GB NEWEST MODEL & for Apple iPad 1 OLDER ORGINAL MODEL (Black): Electronics
My wife has this "keyfolio" and it works great (though it is a bit heavy for my taste).

I have the Apple wireless keyboard, but I don't use it often. I actually can type as fast on the iPad keyboard as I can on the wireless keyboard except if I have to use a lot of numbers or special characters.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was talking to my husband about the ipad vs a netbook (we don't have even a laptop, only desktops and one iphone.) I love my iphone and my husband keeps telling me to go buy an Ipad for myself (even though normally my husband doesn't like to spend money any more than I do.) I just can't figure out if I would love it that much more than my Iphone alone. We do have wifi in our home, so would I have to pay for service for the Ipad, too?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #68

Ally, you can use the wifi in your house, but you'll probably want to spring for the cellular service as well, which at Verizon is $20 per month.
I have both the iPhone and the iPad and they are useful for different things. If you husband says get it--GO!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #69

Thanks, Sarah! I plan to talk to my son (a software engineer) this week or next when they have their first baby. I am flying to Kansas City to help them for a week. My son bought me the Iphone a year ago on Mother's Day, then a Kindle this past Mother's Day. I need for him to explain more about the Ipad 1 vs. 2 to me, etc. Plus I need for him to tell me about Blueray, so we can get one of those, too. I wish he lived much closer. He is our IT guy. They are in their late 30's and finally decided they want a baby after 10 years of marriage.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #70

Awww, that is great about the new baby! Yay for you! And he should be able to tell you more about them. Having only the iPad 2 myself, I probably can't tell you much about the 1, but I think you should go with the later version of most things when possible. I have a Kindle my SIL gave us, but I use the Kindle software on the iPad more frequently now than the Kindle itself.
Have fun with the new grandbaby!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have an iPad 1 (16GB/3G) that I bought last year when it first came out. At the time, I didn't have a smartphone and I really wanted 3G access, so the iPad's no commitment, unlimited data contract was very attractive.

I love my iPad, and use it pretty much every day. Mostly, I surf the web and read news sites, but I also sometimes stream Netflix or Pandora. I also used to use it as an e-reader before I splurged on a Kindle a few months ago. I don't have too many apps on it, and I don't take it around much, but I really appreciate the 3G when traveling.

I have a laptop that I love, but I find myself using it less and less these days, and only for apps that I don't have on my iPad or creating "content" - e-mails, Word docs, etc. Even though my laptop is relatively thin and last 7 hours on a charge, it doesn't compare to my iPad in size, weight, or battery life.

I like the fact that my iPad has a gorgeous screen, is very easy to use, and is the perfect size for taking places. It feels very well built, and it looks great. Things I don't like are the virtual keyboard and the screen that smudges very easily.

I don't have any regrets about buying it.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #72

Going on info provided in the Buyer's Guide at Mac Rumors: Apple Mac iOS Rumors and News You Care About I'm looking forward to ordering an iPad at the end of this week. Sure seems like people on here (as well as the rest of the civilized - and perhaps uncivilized - world) really love them
Old 06-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Thanks, Sarah! I plan to talk to my son (a software engineer) this week or next when they have their first baby. I am flying to Kansas City to help them for a week. My son bought me the Iphone a year ago on Mother's Day, then a Kindle this past Mother's Day. I need for him to explain more about the Ipad 1 vs. 2 to me, etc. Plus I need for him to tell me about Blueray, so we can get one of those, too. I wish he lived much closer. He is our IT guy. They are in their late 30's and finally decided they want a baby after 10 years of marriage.
If he has an ipad2 or a Mac with a camera, and you got an ipad2, you could use FaceTime to see that new grandbaby! ...anytime.

R
Old 06-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #74

Oh really! Now that is something to think about. My daughter also has a Mac with a camera and she will have her 5th child this fall. Even though they only live 90 miles away, it would be fun to see those grandchildren, too.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #75

I have not bought an ipad either.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #76
Confused about dryer sheets

I bought the iPad 2 on the release date and I absolutely love it! I used my final bonus check prior to my retirement on May 6th. I use the iPad for this forum (there is an ER app). I also use it for email, watching netflix when I am cooking, plus the various recipe apps. I use every day. It is my favorite "toy".
Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I am curious about the videos. Do you stream them? Download them? Free? Purchased? I have thought about using a pad or my Nook Color for videos for watching on planes but I haven't paid much attention to sources. I am particularly interested in free sources -- after all, I am ERd.
Pretty much all free so far. I am mostly watching YouTube videos. These are streamed, obviously, so not easy to watch on a plane. Some of the other sites now support the iPad video formats, so some of them I watch from Safari, but they work just like the YouTube Ap.

Audrey
Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
iPad thumb syndrome?

If we had two more hands (maybe branching off from our current elbows), it would make typing on the iPad a breeze. They could fold up against the current arm and hand until needed, then be pulled out and activated when an iPad is being used.
This is funny. I actually type using my two index fingers with my iPad propped on my lap. Al has and iPod Touch so that is a little easier to hold in two hands and type with thumbs.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
If he has an ipad2 or a Mac with a camera, and you got an ipad2, you could use FaceTime to see that new grandbaby! ...anytime.

R
This is what we do in our family. We all have Macs with built-in cameras and video chat is a built-in feature. It's easy to visit family in Amsterdam via video chat and great for the new baby nephew. It's great for my 80-year-old Dad who just now got his first grandchild, but born across the pond.

And if I upgrade to iPad2, the built-in cameras will be one of the reasons.