Join Early Retirement Today

So Who Folded and bought an IPad?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

So Who Folded and bought an IPad?

I need a IPad like a whole in the head. I have two laptops, one 17" that I use as main computer with nice screen resolution, a 15" laptop with lousy screen resolution that bothers me, a Asus net book with lousy screen resolution, and IPod touch, and a newer Kindle. (Plus two Dell Desktop computers)

I know we have a thread about the IPad, but most through that thread had not bought one, or were thinking about it, or had just bought one. Now that some time has passed - how many of you have bought one?

Why did you buy it? (or any other brand for that matter)
Which one did you buy (gig size and wireless or 3G)
Do you use it often?
What do you use it for mostly?
Do you have a net book or other laptops?
What do you like about it, and what do you not like about it?
Any regrets in buying it?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not me - - I bought my first smartphone (an iPhone) in May, and my first CFL bulb recently too, and that's enough change in my life for now.

But to those who did, more power to you!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have not, but I am seriously considering it. My cousin bought one and loves it for travel. I might use it in the office for personal stuff (surfing, e-mail) and also for travel.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have an Ipad 1. Like you, I have an Asus netbook and Ipod touch. I havent used either much since I got the Ipad

Why did you buy it? (or any other brand for that matter) - it was one of those "just have to have it" decisions

Which one did you buy (gig size and wireless or 3G) 32 gb with wifi & 3g

Do you use it often? Daily

What do you use it for mostly? Surfing while watching TV, and my email/web device when on the road.

Do you have a net book or other laptops? Yes - a netbook and a work laptop

Dislikes: No usb port

Any regrets in buying it? NO
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've not gotten an iPad yet - have been using an iPod Touch since 2009 - but I am certain I will get one. It will be my "last day of work" gift to myself.

Even with the small form factor of the Touch, I am amazed how much I use it. I would estimate that the time spent in my home office (where my desktop sits) has dropped by 90% over the past year.

I want to get the iPad before I leave work in August (the Touch was bought with work money) so I can make sure all settings, apps and stuff are transferred smoothly. I almost ordered it today, but I am off at a conference next week and didn't want it sitting at my front door waiting for me to get back.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I need a IPad like a whole in the head. I have two laptops, one 17" that I use as main computer with nice screen resolution, a 15" laptop with lousy screen resolution that bothers me, a Asus net book with lousy screen resolution, and IPod touch, and a newer Kindle. (Plus two Dell Desktop computers)

I know we have a thread about the IPad, but most through that thread had not bought one, or were thinking about it, or had just bought one. Now that some time has passed - how many of you have bought one?

Do you use it often?
I bought a iPad about 14 months ago (early adopter).
Why did I buy it? Why not. I didn't need one, but I really wanted one after trying it at the Apple store.
I bought the 64 GB, wifi only.
I use it everyday, about 3-4 hours a day.
I use it to surf the web, check my email, read the NYT, play video games, read magazines, order crap off eBay, check my accounts, manage to-do lists, manage investments, etc...
I have a full size laptop, but I use it rarely now that I have the iPad (it seems huge and clunky). I also have a netbook but never use it.
What I like? It's small, light, and it can travel with me everywhere. No need to carry the larger laptop anymore.
What I don't like? The fact that you need a computer to back it up and update it (though that will change for the better this fall with the release of iOS 5).
No regrets.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have been fighting the urge since they came out, and I am fighting it now by telling myself the iPad 3 will be even better. I also think a 7" iPad might be more desirable, but the 10" is sweet.

Which one did you buy (gig size and wireless or 3G) Most likely wifi only
What do you use it for mostly? Surfing, but I keep hoping iWork apps might be useable.
Do you have a net book or other laptops? Own desktop, laptop, iPod Touch currently plus work BlackBerry/Smart Phone (about to lose it). When I stop working (soon), iPad would probably replace Touch (small form factor was nice for travel & office, won't matter soon) for music and video.
What do you like about it, and what do you not like about it? Wish it had some storage, or at least connectivity to an external hard drive. I can't imagine using FaceTime, but I'm an old fogie...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've been using the iPod touch a lot on my back, and boy are my arms tired. iPad and kindles are heavier -- is that a problem?

Also I type with my thumbs on the touch; would that work on the iPad? That is, can you lie on your back and type above your head?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #9

I did back in March when the new ones came out. I bought a 1st Gen iPad 64 gig, 3G+wifi for $530, regularly $830.

Why did you buy it? I liked my iPod touch so much I figured having a bigger version would be better. It's easier to lug around the house to surf the net than my laptop. I use it as my e-reader.

Which one did you buy? 64 gig, 3G+wifi

Do you use it often? Daily

What do you use it for mostly? Reading, surfing the net, games, Star Walk and iBird.

Do you have a net book or other laptops? Yes

What do you like about it, and what do you not like about it? Compact, light, fast and great battery life. Wish I could get unlimited data.

Any regrets in buying it? None

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Also: how does you typing speed compare with laptop?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
iPad would probably replace Touch for music and video.
Sounds like you and I are pretty much on the same page, although given the time frame, I will be getting an iPad 2. However, for music/podcasts, the iPod Nano has a solid spot in my heart as I love to go for extended walks when the weather is nice (and at lunch while at work), and you can't beat those thaings. Are they light/cute or what?
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #12

I have not. Smart phone does 98% of what I need. I use a Sony EReader for books, thinking of going to the Nook Simple Touch. I like the Asus tablet, and find their PadPhone an interesting idea. I am in no hurry.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #13

Why did you buy it? (or any other brand for that matter). After spending about an hour at the Apple Store, I absolutely wanted it...I don't have an iPhone and this was my first Apple purchase.
Which one did you buy (gig size and wireless or 3G) iPad 1 -16 gig wi-fi & 3G
Do you use it often? YES! Every day. I hardly use my desktop, laptop and net books most days!
What do you use it for mostly? E-mail, web surfing, tracking investments, travel info, Netflix, games, recipes, Skype, books,
Do you have a net book or other laptops? Yup. PC desktop, 17" laptop, 15" laptop, netbook
What do you like about it, and what do you not like about it? Positives: Light, easy to carry around, incredible battery life, amazing resolution of screen, apps for just about every possible need/want. Not so good: Glare in bright light, "wonky" printing arrangement, doesn't support Flash without outside app.
Any regrets in buying it? None. I would not want to be without it! It really is a game changer for me.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

Do you use it often?
I bought an iPad because I wanted it and thought I would use it as a media consumption device and I could also get email and do minor web surfing on it.

I bought it when they first came out. 64 gig and 3G. I was unsure about getting the 3G but have been so so glad I did it. On the occasions when the internet goes out or I'm out and about it has been helpful. The other day I was without home internet for several hours and I needed to read email and do some web surfing and I was fine with having the iPad. Also, if I'm in a store and want to price check availability of something online I can pull it out and just check it right there.

I don't have a netbook (DH has one though). I have a personal laptop and an office laptop. I use laptops and the iPads very differently however.

I have no regrets having bought it and love it. It is very very good at some things and not so good at others.

I used to use my Kindle (2nd gen) a lot. I confess I haven't used the Kindle in months. I like reading on the iPad more than I like reading on the Kindle. The big plus of the Kindle is that it is much lighter. I think the new iPad is lighter than mine but still the Kindle is much lighter than it. However, I prefer to backlighting and color of the iPad and that I can do other stuff as well (like listen to music while reading or check my email).

I use the iPad to watch some video either content that I own and download to it or to stream video. I do some minor web surfing with it. However, if I am going to do major web surfing and I'm at home I'll do it on a real computer. The iPad is handy when I am out and about and need to look up something. For example, before going to a restaurant I will often go to the restaurant's web site and look up nutrition info on foods.

I use it to read and send email. I probably actually use my iPhone for this more often but it is nice when reading a book on the iPad to be able to check email. The other day internet was out at my house and I needed to respond to an email with a PDF attachment. Reading the attachment was easy on the iPad and I used my iPad keyboard to write a lengthy response (I don't use the external keyboard often, only when I need to write a lot).

It is nice to display photos to others and I play a few games on it.

I have an external GPS unit in my car. A few weeks ago that GPS (Garmin) sent me to the wrong place. I pulled out the iPad (DH was driving) and used it as a GPS to correctly find the location.

Things I wish I had on it that surprise me: A camera. I thought at first that the lack of a camera wasn't a big deal but a couple of times I've been out somewhere, had the iPad in my hand and wanted to take a picture. I have to put it away and then get the iPhone to take the pic. I'm not getting rid of mine to get to the iPad 2 just for that but it would be nice.

Texting. I don't do a lot of texting but I've gotten used to it for short messages to my DH or kids. Inevitably I'm using my iPad and want to send a text and then realize I can't since it isn't a phone....

Used to I always wanted to have my notebook computer if I went out of town for even a day. Now, my iPad suffices. I actually haven't used my personal laptop in months (so long that I now can't remember my password to it -- sigh).

That said, if I was traveling for longer I would still want a computer for two reasons. I still work part time and for drafting long Word documents I would want a laptop rather than the iPad.

Personally -- I can't play World of Warcraft on an iPad so that would be a deal breaker if I was going to be gone for long.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Also: how does you typing speed compare with laptop?
If I am typing directly on the iPad no question that typing on a laptop is faster. But typing on the iPad is much faster than typing on my iPhone.

However, I bought the external keyboard for the iPad so for any lengthy typing I use that and then it is just like typing on a laptop.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've been using the iPod touch a lot on my back, and boy are my arms tired. iPad and kindles are heavier -- is that a problem?

Also I type with my thumbs on the touch; would that work on the iPad? That is, can you lie on your back and type above your head?
In portrait mode, I can type with my thumbs. In landscape mode, you would need to have huge paws. If you have an Apple store nearby, go check it out for yourself.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #17

So why do you prefer it to a netbook? I have an IPhone so understand the appeal of apple apps.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #18

A few weeks ago I bought an Acer Android Tablet, the Iconia A500.

Why did you buy it? (or any other brand for that matter) Mostly just for the fun of it, and curiosity. I read on it, and it's handy if I want to look something up while reading or watching TV.

Which one did you buy (gig size and wireless or 3G) Wifi, 16 GB.

Do you use it often? Daily.

What do you use it for mostly? Looking up stuff on the web, email and reading.

Do you have a net book or other laptops? Yes, both. I don't use the laptop much any more. I use the netbook when traveling.

What do you like about it, and what do you not like about it? It's got a great display, it's speedy, I use the same apps on my phone. On the downside, it's still fairly buggy.

Any regrets in buying it? Nope.

Coach
Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
So why do you prefer it to a netbook? I have an IPhone so understand the appeal of apple apps.
2 reasons: the ipad is smaller and lighter; and quite frankly I hate the trackpad on the netbook.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #20

We converted to be an Apple family a couple of years ago. We have MacBooks and Iphones. I am sure there are a few Ipods around. No Ipad yet. There a few Windows PC's around in early retirement.

The phone seems good enough when I travel and I like the keyboard on the Macbook when I am home.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote