Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'm looking for an iPad app that has good Spanish pronunciations/translations of English words that doesn't have to be online to use and uses native speakers for the audio. Any ideas?
I have a dictionary called Spanish Free, but it doesn't have voice files. I have a clever program called SpanishTT that does have voice files, and the woman who speaks the sentences is very clear and I enjoy her accent. Right now I do not remember whether she is western hemispere or Iberian.

One thing about this program that bugged me is that they seem to translate English that to me at least is a compound tense- "I have worked" as a simple sense in Spanish. Don't remmeber for sure, but I think they choose preterite which just seems dead wrong. But currently I have no one to ask, so I am not sure.

I have one more that is good, but short. I think all of these are free. This last one is called foto espaņol. Excellent sound files, some American and others peninsular.

I am interested in more, especially some larger ones. They do not have to be free either.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
Don't know about the I-Pad, but I use the Kindle lying on my back all the time and I have never noticed the weight.

Maybe you need to go a little harder during your workouts?

Ha
That's interesting. My forearms ache after only a minute of holding the iPod up. Probably something wrong with me.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

As if I would actually pay that kind of money for something I don't need

No iPad for me. I don't even own a smartphone,ipod,mp3,kindle or any of the other "must have" gadgets. Although I must admit if I made the money most of you make, i'd own most of those items.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought an Ipad2 a couple of weeks ago. Love it. I got the 16 gig with 3G. So far, I use it for reading books, net surfing, and reading the ER forum. I have an iPod touch and in many ways this is a big iPod touch. That said, I like my iPod touch and this larger size and most of all the 3G addresses some of the issues I had with the iPod touch.

I have never used a kindle or nook, so I can't compare there, but I really like the iBook app.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #45

Looks like I am an old dinosaur here. NO Ipad or Ipod for me. I only have a smartphone and a PC. I find I exist and keep in touch with things pretty well. I still love to hold a book or magazine to read. I guess I can afford to buy these gadgets but have no inclination to buy them at all.

I just read in the news that one person sold one of his kidneys to buy an Ipad! Shocking!
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow

Do you use an app for that? If so, which one?

Back in the day (i.e. before kids) we used to go to bridge tournaments all the time but got out of once we had kids and had limited time. Now, it would be nice to get back into it.
Yes the app is iBridgeBaron. I don't remember the cost put I practice frequently so it was worth every penny.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I don't do cellphones. (I'm retired, damnit. No more office tethers!)
I'd love to read the study of what turns people away from cell phones.

I have to admit, though, I get a chuckle out of Verizon's whining when I don't promptly load more money into the phone.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

I bought an iPad 1 a couple months back, when my emloyer offered a deal. $250 for the 32 gig wifi only. I love it and it has rarely left my side since. I have a galaxy tab 7" android tablet, a 15" laptop, a netbook, an iPod touch, and an android smartphone. The iPod touch has now been sold, and replaced with the current generation iPod nano. Between the smartphone and the iPad, the touch only got used for running music, and the nano was a better device for that.

iPad gets used mostly for surfing (typing on it now) but also for e-reading, Netflix, and a bunch of random aps.

Not a hint of buyer's remorse ever. The iPad is a wonderful device, and if mine were lost/stolen/destroyed today, I would likely have a replacement tomorrow.

One note, I have never regretted not getting the 64 gig model.
RockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I just read in the news that one person sold one of his kidneys to buy an Ipad! Shocking!
I think he kept one, or at least I hope so.

Ha
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Yes the app is iBridgeBaron. I don't remember the cost put I practice frequently so it was worth every penny.
It appears to be free. I just downloaded it; it has been years since I played bridge but I think I would enjoy starting again.

Ha
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Why did you buy it? (or any other brand for that matter)
I bought it for my 89-year-old mother, thinking it would be the easiest for her to manage.

Which one did you buy (gig size and wireless or 3G)
the most basic version. (first generation Ipad)

Do you use it often?
She uses it several times a week

What do you use it for mostly?
She uses it for reading ebooks, listening to audiobooks, watching Netflix movies

Do you have a net book or other laptops?
I do, but she does not

What do you like about it, and what do you not like about it?
She does not find it at all intuitive to use - Frequently needs help navigating menus in different apps, and constantly needs reminders on how to shut it off. Several times she has left an audiobook playing and turned down the volume, thinking she was shutting it off. Because the screen goes blank while the book continues to play, with the volume off she thinks she has successfully turned it off.
I share ebooks I get for my Kindle with her, and also load library ebooks for her, but she has trouble remembering which app to use to access the books - some are in the Books app, and some in the Kindle app. Also, audiobooks from Audible have their own app, but audiobooks from the library load to the Ipod app. This is confusing for her, but if I get her started with a particular app, she is usually able to continue operating from there. But by the next day, she has forgotten again.
The touch screen sometimes does not respond to her touch - I think because of dry skin. it seems to help if she first rubs her fingetips on her palms, or breathes on to them to pick up a slight amount of moisture.
She also has trouble understanding that when she turns it off, it is not really off, but just sleeping, and will continue to draw power if she does not turn off the wifi.
I do not have great hopes of the battery lasting very long on this one.

What I like about it - it starts up quickly and is useful for quick searches in the internet, rather than waiting for my laptop to boot up. I can't say too much else good about it. I'm still a PC (& Kindle) person. Personally I prefer my Kindle for ebook reading - it is much easier on the eyes.
What I don't like (other than the issues she has) - iTunes. Hate that.

Any regrets in buying it?
Probably was the best option for her at the time. One of the newer tablets may be better for her.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It appears to be free. I just downloaded it; it has been years since I played bridge but I think I would enjoy starting again.

Ha
I may try that myself. I played briefly as a kid but I never got good. I wouldn't play with serious players now unless I really got the hang of it since they can be a bit overbearing, or so I hear.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I may try that myself. I played briefly as a kid but I never got good. I wouldn't play with serious players now unless I really got the hang of it since they can be a bit overbearing, or so I hear.
Nevermind, its $20. I will look for something free initially.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #54

Well I am still torn. It's either a new smaller laptop with nice screen, or the Ipad. I know they are two different animals. With the computer I can do everything the Ipad does and more, without the fun applications. With the Ipad, I have convenience, some useful applications at my finger tip and a new fun toy. I don't think I would use it as a book reader, as I have the Kindle, but would use it for magazine articles which are more appealing in color.

Just wish the toy wasn't so expensive.

These are my choices

Less expensive ($500-$600) average size 14" to 15" with better screen resolution, as these are the size most reasonable.

A Mac Air. Much more expensive, but light, and I'm not sure about all my Windows programs on a Mac.

IPad for fun, and internet browsing, and just use older computer with lousy screen for travel.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #55

I have a 32gb iPad wifi that DH bought me for my birthday last fall. What he didn't know was that my birthday was a week before I retired and I came home the same day with an iPhone to replace my megacorp phone. So we were worried that the iPad would be redundant. Quite the contrary.

I had always wanted a computer in the kitchen to look up recipes, cooking techniques, etc., but I'm not a particularly neat cook so I was worried about it getting trashed. The iPad is the PERFECT kitchen computer.

It is also great when traveling - no laptop to drag around but can do most of what we can do at home and just about anything you need to do when on the road (except print).

We LOVE it. Still have two computers in the house - iPad is not great for heavy typing (although I can do a reasonable facsimile of touch-typing in landscape mode when needed).
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #56

My almost 22 y.o. buys every new gadget that comes out, so I just wait for him to upgrade and I get the hand me down. That is how I have two itouch (one with a speaker one w/o) and 1st gen ipad. The iPad gets used a lot but I think we'd survive without it.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have not bought the Ipad yet. I tend to wait for "new gadgets" to mature. Even so...I really don't need it. I am as "in touch" as I want to be with my Macbook Pro and a phone. If I traveled more...perhaps I would bite.
Look at them seriously in December and realized there were things I wanted to do that the IPad did not do so well...and that I'd had to take my Mac around with me anyway....
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I need a IPad like a whole in the head. I have two laptops, one 17" that I use as main computer with nice screen resolution, a 15" laptop with lousy screen resolution that bothers me, a Asus net book with lousy screen resolution, and IPod touch, and a newer Kindle. (Plus two Dell Desktop computers)

I know we have a thread about the IPad, but most through that thread had not bought one, or were thinking about it, or had just bought one. Now that some time has passed - how many of you have bought one?
Why did you buy it? (or any other brand for that matter)
Early 2010 - April?

Which one did you buy (gig size and wireless or 3G)
iPad1 64G with 3G. I waited specifically for this model because I needed the 3G for data when I was running around shopping, etc. I don't have an iPhone. I also needed the GPS.

As soon as it the iPad was announced I knew I needed one, because the iPod Touch I had was too frustratingly small screen-wise and didn't have 3G.

Do you use it often?
For many hours every day.

What do you use it for mostly?
I have started watching a LOT of videos - this is the latest thing. With headphones it's awesome for watching videos. At first I was mostly web surfing, doing some emails, using it for traveling. Using it when out shopping. Using it in the kitchen to display recipes. Entertain myself when waiting at a doctors office, car service, etc. Showing people photos. Then I started reading books on it. Then I started watching videos a lot which has now actually taken over a lot of the book reading time. I'd love to get workout videos on it, but the one's I like haven't been made available for it yet. I also use it a great deal with our audio/video system at home (more on this follows).

Place to go orders from PFChangs! LOL! When out shopping.

We occasionally use it as a GPS in the car. On our last trip we rented a car, so we used the iPad as a GPS since we didn't have our usual car GPS. We really needed it!

More details on using the iPad with the AppleTV
One of the best things we did was get an AppleTV device for out home audio/video system. With this I send music from my iPad to the stereo when I want to listen to music. I can even control the volume from my iPad. This is especially great in our workout room which is out of infra-red control range from our stereo even though the speakers are attached. The iPad talks to the Apple TV device via the house WiFi.

If there is high-res video available on a YouTube video, I sometimes send that to my big-screen TV via the iPad. The iPad controls the play like a very smart remote control in this scenario.

We also display photos on the big-screen TV from it when we want to do a slide show for guests.

Do you have a net book or other laptops?
I have a laptop.

What do you like about it, and what do you not like about it?
I adore the high-res touch-screen interface. Form factor and compactness and so easy to carry. Being able to read a book or watch a video.

I wish more websites used HTML5 or other more iPad compatible formats, but they are increasingly doing so, so it's getting there. There have been a LOT of improvements even in the OS upgrades they have had in the past year.

I really wish it had a camera, but I haven't been in a hurry to upgrade to the iPad2.

Any regrets in buying it?
Absolutely not! It's a brilliant device. Increasingly useful. I would say that I spend 3 to 4X the amount of time using it now than I did at the beginning cause you find you can adapt all sorts of things to it.

Audrey
Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #59

After watching the users of iPads, I have pretty much decided that I need a keyboard. I speed type and cannot imagine having the patience to use the keypad on the iPad.

I watched a woman type with one finger for about 5-10 minutes while holding her iPad with the other hand. It made me nearly have an anxiety attack.

Will be interesting to see how the markets sort this out. I was reading today that texting seems to be waning a bit.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I do two finger typing on the iPad. I ca get a few paragraphs entered that way, np problem. But iIf I need to type a lot, I use my laptop. I'm not motivated to use my iPad for a lot of data entry.