Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One WS bank said before the announcement that iPhone 5 could marginally boost GDP in the 4th quarter of this year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #22

I don't even have a "smart" phone...still using the old "dumb" flip phone. It does have a camera, but that's it. I'm tired of getting so much grief from practically everybody though, so most likely I'll cave and get a "smart" phone after Christmas. I'm not so sure what's smart about paying so much for the service for those things, though...

Naturally, if I get one, so will wifey...goodbye $$$!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #23

I predict many people will get the Iphone 5. Apple could have saved a lot of R&D though.

Watch this video...hilarious:

Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb
I don't even have a "smart" phone...still using the old "dumb" flip phone. It does have a camera, but that's it. I'm tired of getting so much grief from practically everybody though, so most likely I'll cave and get a "smart" phone after Christmas. I'm not so sure what's smart about paying so much for the service for those things, though...

Naturally, if I get one, so will wifey...goodbye $$$!
I got the iPhone 4 about a year and a half ago, against my better judgment. To me , the main advantage is having the internet and a camera with me at all times and I like that. I have advised my dear F not to buy one, though and he hasn't. He is ultra-concerned about his privacy and I think he would object to the way Apple/iTunes requires his credit card number just to activate the phone (even if he thinks he will only use free apps), for example, and so much other information. I agree but as they say down here, "Whatcha gonna do?"Ah, brave new world.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #25

YOu do not have to enter your credit card in iTunes.

Buy iTunes gift cards to create an iTunes account.

In fact, I don't think you have to even do that. Google around. I don't have a credit card with iTunes. My current balance is about $18 and it's from gift cards.

However, I did use my credit card to buy my laptop and iPad from Apple's main site over the years. Well the AppleID is the same between that and iTunes. I guess I could have created a different ID though.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade
YOu do not have to enter your credit card in iTunes.
Thanks for your input. Martyb, if this is an issue for you then I would suggest checking into this thoroughly before making any assumptions one way or another BEFORE buying an iPhone, though, as I was unable to activate mine without an Apple ID and CC# required when getting that. Google is your friend.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #27

If you order from apple.com, it may try to get you to create an AppleID and then have you use the same AppleID to create an iTunes account.

They don't want you to create different AppleIDs but there's really nothing they can do to stop you.

AppleID is useful though for iCloud features, like putting photos up there and using it to backup your device or Find Your iPhone.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade
If you order from apple.com, it may try to get you to create an AppleID and then have you use the same AppleID to create an iTunes account.[
Yep! Same thing is true when you buy the phone face to face at a Verizon store, in order to even activate the phone AFAIK. Guess maybe your

prior statement is something to doublecheck, too, for others who may not be aware of this.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #29

BTW, iPhone 5 does not fix the problem on Verizon of not being able to use the phone and the Internet at the same time over the VZ network.

Problem is they would have had to put in another antenna in there and apparently Apple cared more about making it thinner and lighter.

On AT&T, you can call and use Internet simultaneously.

But if you are in an LTE area, the speed difference is suppose to be dramatic.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Loving my iPhone 4S on Verizon with unlimited 3G today at about $60/mo and I'm not looking to upgrade right now. Maybe the iPhone 5S will catch me in an upgrade mindset. I'll need to pay full price to keep my sweet plan, however.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm sticking with my Virgin Mobile cell phone @ phone $5 a month.

And you kids, get off my lawn!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #32

Not me - I have a 4s that i'm happy with, but DW is going to get rid of her 3 for the 5
Old 09-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm sticking with my Virgin Mobile cell phone @ phone $5 a month.
Virgin Mobile for $5/mo? Details?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #34
Confused about dryer sheets

I think apple has stopped innovating.
They've turned into a company who sues more than innovates.
I think we're at the high water mark for apple.
10 years they'll be bankrupt.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Just saying I wouldn't spend the $600 on a fancy toy (which is what I consider it personally) that will be outdated next year. To each their own though!
Depending on what you use, it doesn't get outdated that fast -- I used my original iPhone for years before I got a free version 4 from work. It was still miles ahead of the android phone my wife got on virgin (even though the android was purchased years later). My usage was primarily email, web browsing, messages and a few basic apps like the stock ticker. I guess if I wanted to run the newest games I would need to upgrade.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #36
gone traveling

since i rarely use a cellphone i have a tracphone. phone was free buy yearly usage for 100 dollars.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Virgin Mobile for $5/mo? Details?
You need to add $20 every 90 days to keep the phone active. However if you have it billed automatically to a credit card, it is only $15 every 90 days. That money rolls over indefinitely, but you are charged 20 cents a minute for phone use.

I use the phone so little that I accumulated a $250 credit. I used that credit to buy a smartphone from Virgin and then resold it unopened on eBay for a small profit. So, my actual cost has been less than $5 a month.

I just carry the phone for emergencies. If you talk a lot this wouldn't be for you.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
I think apple has stopped innovating.
They've turned into a company who sues more than innovates.
I think we're at the high water mark for apple.
10 years they'll be bankrupt.
Hmm, did he sign up just to post that?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #39

Tracfone for calls = $100/yr. IPod touch 4g for net browsing, email & Skype while traveling = $185/OT. BTW Apple can keep the new Ipod touch for $299 AFAIC.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #40

I use a Tracfone too. I have an Ipod Touch, but want to get the new Ipad with 3G or whatever it has for when we are traveling.

My DD and I were just at the AT& T store earlier today. The microphone on her iPhone 4 quit working and you could not hear her when she was talking. You could hear her if she was using Facetime. She pre-ordered the iPhone 5, but decided to cancel it, since money is tighter, since her DH just got out of the Navy. She bought another iPhone 4 for 99 cents. It was past time for her to get another phone and they renewed for another 2 years. I was proud of her deciding to get the iPhone 4.